• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Do You Think The Irish Are a Stingy Race?

Zach Dingle

I think on balance we probably are a mean, tight race of people, but our wealthiest definitely top the charts for meanness in my experience, including an employer class who would prefer to go out of business than remunerate their employees properly!:mad:
Mind you we seem to love paying over the odds for basics in our supermarkets and putting up with scams such as not getting the proper currency rate on non € goods!
And of course we don't like to complain!:mad:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Big change in culture I noticed between the early 1990s and 2007 or so. When I moved away people were basically a bit reticent to talk about what they had if they had anything worth talking about.

When I had a couple of months at home in 2007 (fateful summer) I couldn't believe the credit related bullshyte I was hearing. One lass I met outside the pub while having a fag managed to download inside about two minutes how wealthy she was, how she had two holidays a year, how she and the boyfriend were building their own house, and how her uncle had a load of racehorses.

I know some people in that pub and checking with a friend about this fabulous person with the Carly Simon lifestyle and he was able to tell me she was well full of crap.

I know I'd never have heard anyone speaking like that in the early 1990s.

It all seemed to be a fantasy based around 'free' money. To answee the question I have found all my life that Irish people are unfailingly generous. I can think of countless examples of Irish people going out of their way to help a stranger, and at cost to themselves as well.

There is the old story, which I am sure is replicated in many places around the country, that when a couple of Americans arrived in Wexford in the early 1970s in search of their family roots they knocked on a few doors they'd come up with in their research.

At one place they were invited to stay for a few days and had a great time, were fed and put up generally. It was only when they went back to the States that they realised that they had had the wrong house and that the people there would have realised they had the wrong house from conversation, and had said absolutely nothing.

Irish people and Americans share something in that regard- warmth and hospitality as a natural offshoot of our cultures. The old system we lived by before the modern era still lingers on buried under the surface- hospitality was important in our culture for a family and house's standing in the community.

Hillmanhunter1

What are we like as tippers? What is the feedback from waiters, hotel cleaners, barbers etc?

A Voice

I think on balance we probably are a mean, tight race of people, but our wealthiest definitely top the charts for meanness in my experience, including an employer class who would prefer to go out of business than remunerate their employees properly!:mad:
Mind you we seem to love paying over the odds for basics in our supermarkets and putting up with scams such as not getting the proper currency rate on non € goods!
Your avatar features someone who hoovered up loads of charitable donations from Irish people. Are you taking the p1ss?

LISTOWEL MAN

remember that lady who was on the Brendan O'Connor show

When asked about England Ireland relations she said "Well after years of saying what an awful shower we are, you turned around and you asked us for money"

the audience were not impressed

Levellers

remember that lady who was on the Brendan O'Connor show

When asked about England Ireland relations she said "Well after years of saying what an awful shower we are, you turned around and you asked us for money"

the audience were not impressed
Well she got that wrong. The English offered the money to us so we could bail out English banks operating here. And we've paid them back.

Fenian Boy

Implying that the Irish people are a “race”, or even an ethnic group, is probably bound to get you into a lot of trouble these days.

Beachcomber

The Irish are not a race.

levijagger

Implying that the Irish people are a “race”, or even an ethnic group, is probably bound to get you into a lot of trouble these days.
The Irish have their own customs,language,music,dance,sports,cuisine and mythology. Although Irish was their main language in the past, today most Irish people speak English as their first language. Historically, the Irish nation was made up of kin groups or clans, and the Irish also had their own religion,law code,alphabet and style of dress. they are just a stingy race who is trying to get along with us .

Pyewacket

Nope. They are gamblers, they are pot of gold seekers, they are wildly personally generous, they are very charitable.

They don't really care about money. Not money in itself, and they are right not to, because money is based on an illusion.

Frank Miller

What are we like as tippers? What is the feedback from waiters, hotel cleaners, barbers etc?
What has that got to do with anything? Too much expectation for tips in my experience. Get a coheee and scone in the morning. Eyes go up to heaven if you ask to have the scone heated and then a big thick head when you dont tip.

Hillmanhunter1

What has that got to do with anything? Too much expectation for tips in my experience. Get a coheee and scone in the morning. Eyes go up to heaven if you ask to have the scone heated and then a big thick head when you dont tip.
You must be a delight to deal with :ROFLMAO:

Dame_Enda

While a critic of the RCC, I do think that the decline of the Church - while mostly a good thing - has contributed to the side effect of a decline in interest in questions of poverty, as reflected in the slash and burn economics and rise of vulture funds. The concept of the Good Samaritan is sorely lacking in the policies of FG.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies