Do you think you have your finger on the pulse?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Do you know what matters? Politicians are people (other than being concerned with being reelected) are people who are concerned with listening to what their electorate are concerned about and seeing that represented on a national scale, right?

So this thread is about what you think "people" are concerned about. If you read the Irish press or listen to our national broadcaster one might be forgiven for thinking that what galvanises the public is a concern about equality or the lack of human rights in Ireland. These are the reoccurring themes.

Answer from your gut if you would, what do you think concerns us most?

McTell

Twitter
No
Do you know what matters? ///

Fingers, pulses, guts?

Whose pulse is my finger on? I don't have a pulse. petunia

SamsonS

Do you know what matters? Politicians are people (other than being concerned with being reelected) are people who are concerned with listening to what their electorate are concerned about and seeing that represented on a national scale, right?

So this thread is about what you think "people" are concerned about. If you read the Irish press or listen to our national broadcaster one might be forgiven for thinking that what galvanises the public is a concern about equality or the lack of human rights in Ireland. These are the reoccurring themes.

I work with and know a lot of sensible and intelligent people, but they have only a fleeting interest in current affairs. They might know every detail of the Paddy Jackson case, or Graham Dwyer, or Catherine Nevin, but would have no interest in reading/learning about Brexit, or the Varadkars spin unit.

If I was to pick a current affairs issues that would resonate at the moment, housing and homelessness would be it.

mr_anderson

wombat

People are not selfish but they tend to be self interested in the sense that they have enough going on in their personal lives to keep them focussed. When the media focus on an issue for a while (say 10 days) people will become interested but the interest wanes unless it impacts directly on their lives.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Panem et Circunensus

Bread & circuses

Wheat & Sport

Beer & Premier League

mr_anderson

The #1 issue is always jobs.
If that doesn't rank in your top 3, then things are going reasonably well.

sic transit

Generally people think they are doing their best and see nothing wrong with largely ignoring what they neither care about nor understand but they still reserve the right to get angry about them anyway. All about jobs, family, future and sometimes "what does it mean" interspersed with a dose of "being happy", anger and occasional despair. It's a human condition.

As for the initial question more a case of being reasonably up to date with what's going on.

Last edited:

ger12

I work with and know a lot of sensible and intelligent people, but they have only a fleeting interest in current affairs. They might know every detail of the Paddy Jackson case, or Graham Dwyer, or Catherine Nevin, but would have no interest in reading/learning about Brexit, or the Varadkars spin unit.

If I was to pick a current affairs issues that would resonate at the moment, housing and homelessness would be it.
+1

Nemesiscorporation

Facebook and google would be more likely to have their finger on the pulse than any of us.

shiel

I think we are interested in and influenced by what is covered in mainstream and internet media in the immediate preceding period of about a fortnight.

The more shtuff that comes out about the powerful and the influential the more that seems to be the case.

Anyway good for you keep the ************************ stirring.

wombat

Facebook and google would be more likely to have their finger on the pulse than any of us.
Not really, as any conclusions they reach will be based on their customer base which is not representative of the general population. People who use social media are not a representative subset of the general population anymore than people with fixed telephone lines are.

Franzoni

Wait until some of them have a son or daughter trying to rent for college or until they are sitting beside the bed of a elderly relative in a public hospital and there are a couple of people wadering around with dementia in the ward becuase their families have nowhere else to bring them...or worse to stop their own relative with demenia getting up out of the bed and walking out the door because the staff can't cope ....

Unfortunately Wombat is right ...a lot of this is down to how it personally affects you and yours.....some of our friends are single,no kids and with both parents still alive no major health issues and there is a remarkable difference in how their attitudes differ from those of us with chizellers and been through the wars.........

My own eye opener was going up against the old health system and a consultant in the 80's when i was still wet behind the ears as the ould lad was left near deaths door after they botched an operation...i soon found out quick enough how the establishment close ranks and how things work....before that i would of seen the drugs thing kicking off and we always suspected that some cops were in on it as at one stage they tried to force a right of way for drug dealers and junkies into the flats....

An issue that has arisen in the last week in this area is the Metro North and talk of ripping up local GAA and soccer clubs that has FG and FF supporters at sixes and sevens in the area with quite a few of them members of said clubs or parents/relations of members including a government minister ...the campaign against it is being led by the local FG TD and FF councilor while this is a government proposal and originally and idea that was started under the last FF led government IIRC........the next few months should be fun.....:D

fergal1790

I've had my finger on my pulse for the last ten minutes and the only conclusion I have come to is that I'm dead.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The average person on encountering a magazine article which may interest them reads about nine words before deciding to read the whole thing or abandoning it.

Everything anyone needs to know about politics is contained in that observation.

Franzoni

The average person on encountering a magazine article which may interest them reads about nine words before deciding to read the whole thing or abandoning it.

Everything anyone needs to know about politics is contained in that observation.
It would go someway to explaining the 3rd level scam and the level of stupidity emerging out of them alright....

New Threads

Most Replies