Do you think you have your finger on the pulse?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The #1 issue is always jobs.
If that doesn't rank in your top 3, then things are going reasonably well.
In Europe, the #1 issue isn't jobs actually. That comes further down the list. It wasn't clear in my OP but I am referring to Europe as a whole.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Generally people think they are doing their best and see nothing wrong with largely ignoring what they neither care about nor understand but they still reserve the right to get angry about them anyway. All about jobs, family, future and sometimes "what does it mean" interspersed with a dose of "being happy", anger and occasional despair. It's a human condition.

As for the initial question more a case of being reasonably up to date with what's going on.
There's actually a list that EU maintains. Jobs and Family are lower down that list than you might imagine.

ticketyboo

Do you know what matters? Politicians are people (other than being concerned with being reelected) are people who are concerned with listening to what their electorate are concerned about and seeing that represented on a national scale, right?

So this thread is about what you think "people" are concerned about. If you read the Irish press or listen to our national broadcaster one might be forgiven for thinking that what galvanises the public is a concern about equality or the lack of human rights in Ireland. These are the reoccurring themes.

Answer from your gut if you would, what do you think concerns us most?[/QUOTE]

Self interest, I'm afraid.....
I'm no different in that regard, but I like to think I've got a bit of a social conscience, and have a deep hatred of racist bigotry and right wing ideology, but it has to be affirmed that I don't have any kind of finger on the pulse, given the voting patterns in this state....
No, for the great majority hospital waiting lists, trolleys and the wholesale eviction of people who have committed no wrong can go fúck themselves as long as it doesn't impact on me....
How else can I explain the permanent government in this state of FF/FG...

Nemesiscorporation

The average person on encountering a magazine article which may interest them reads about nine words before deciding to read the whole thing or abandoning it.

Everything anyone needs to know about politics is contained in that observation.
Most of the electorate is best described by the Judge Dredd Story, Democracy.

JCR

The people are concerned with how corporatism is undermining democracy across the western world and how they the people have handed these corporations the power through boneheaded consumerism and electing politicians who won't tell the truth about this issue but instead promise to line they the people's pockets.

That and how they the people must quickly adapt to modifying their behaviour before the planet's ecosystem finally falls apart.

Oh sorry, people are not really concerned with that at all. Guess I don't have a clue what's going on with the people. Though I don't really think the people think about the important issues, lets be honest, too much thinking would p1ss them off too much.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The people are concerned with how corporatism is undermining democracy across the western world and how they the people have handed these corporations the power through boneheaded consumerism and electing politicians who won't tell the truth about this issue but instead promise to line they the people's pockets.

That and how they the people must quickly adapt to modifying their behaviour before the planet's ecosystem finally falls apart.

Oh sorry, people are not really concerned with that at all. Guess I don't have a clue what's going on with the people. Though I don't really think the people think about the important issues, lets be honest, too much thinking would p1ss them off too much.
Yes, you're wrong. A loss of democracy via corporatism doesn't rank amongst Europe's peoples.

McTell

Twitter
No

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Do you know what matters? Politicians are people (other than being concerned with being reelected) are people who are concerned with listening to what their electorate are concerned about and seeing that represented on a national scale, right?

So this thread is about what you think "people" are concerned about. If you read the Irish press or listen to our national broadcaster one might be forgiven for thinking that what galvanises the public is a concern about equality or the lack of human rights in Ireland. These are the reoccurring themes.

Answer from your gut if you would, what do you think concerns us most?
Getting the clichés out of Irish politics!

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Immigration is number one concern for the EU in all Member States, except Spain and Portugal.

Terrorism remains the second most frequently cited item. It is well ahead of the economic situation (20%,+1), the state of Member States' public finances (17%, +1) and unemployment (16%,+1).

This is true of Ireland as well as every other state in our union. I think historians will notice (with an arched eyebrow) the complete absence of this topic in our national parliament. The "paper of record" hasn't carried an article reflecting public opinion on this topic either.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies