• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Do you want a United Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concerned Irishman

If so, why? Is this wish sentimental, romantic or economic in nature?

If not, why not? Are you against it or do you even care?

I'm trying to make up my mind myself

Heligoland

Depends what's on offer.

An extension of the 26 county state does not seem to have much to recommend it, especially as it would contain a substantial minority who'd resent having Dublin as their capital, and would be very fearful of the the influence of the Catholic church etc

But a new country, with a new constitution, based on equality and with place for everyone who wanted to make it work, would be very appealing.

SideysGhost

Oh FFS, we get about three of these threads every bloody week these days :roll:

What is it with the never-ending factory of loony partitionist redmondite teenagers?

ruserious

I'd like a United Forum to throw all these threads into.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Oh FFS, we get about three of these threads
every bloody week these days :roll:

What is it with the never-ending factory of loony partitionist redmondite teenagers?
There are those fantastic debating skills again!

Concerned Irishman

Oh FFS, we get about three of these threads every bloody week these days :roll:

So far it seems you are in the minority here. It seems some people just don't have it as a priority, and yet you still haven't articulated here why you yourself do

Sense 0f Wonder

British rule has failed to achieve a happy, peaceful society in any part of Ireland. It's safe to say that their little Irish experiment has failed. Spectacularly.

They were given a fair whack at it (800 years give or take a few hundred years), phoned a friend, drawn lots, tossed coins, fired bullets, and in the GFA they've used their last lifeline.

In the interest of a peaceful happy island, I think a United Ireland is one idea that's worth trying. I have little doubt that we could do the job better than the British ever could/ever have done. Don't you?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Technically, we have a united Ireland. What we don't have is a united island.

Concerned Irishman

British rule has failed to achieve a happy, peaceful society in any part of Ireland. It's safe to say that their little Irish experiment has failed. Spectacularly.

They were given a fair whack at it (800 years give or take a few hundred years), phoned a friend, drawn lots, tossed coins, fired bullets, and in the GFA they've used their last lifeline.

In the interest of a peaceful happy island, I think a United Ireland is one idea that's worth trying. I have little doubt that we could do the job better than the British ever could/ever have done. Don't you?
In seriousness, would you call the 26 county society happy, peaceful or prosperous for that matter? Many would say that the independence project has failed as surely as the British Rule one did

pierrepoint

Couldn`t care less. Imagine how many extra dole spongers we would have to pay for?

Sense 0f Wonder

But a UI has not been tried in modern times... it's the one experiment that has not been undertaken.

The Owl

No, I do not want a united Ireland. Why? Because the majority living in Northern Ireland don't want it. Until they do, no point discussing it.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

If so, why? Is this wish sentimental, romantic or economic in nature?

If not, why not? Are you against it or do you even care?

I'm trying to make up my mind myself
Yes, I do wish to see Ireland united. However I think it depends on the terms offered. I would hate to think that the republic - as is - was just extended and would favour a new constitution for the entire Island were it to happen.

stopdoingstuff

I definitely do but by consent. Larger entities should never coerce smaller entities into a union of any kind.

We already have a united Ireland.

By and large we're not killing each other.

Things need to improve in local communities, but my thesis is that we have a united Ireland.

Borders are irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.