• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Do you want George Lee's BlackBerry?

He3

You only need to ask and he will give it to you, assuming you get to him first. Let us know how you get on.

The Oireachtas has an unusual concentration of people who lose mobile phones, upgrade at the earliest opportunity, or who run their available expense allowances up to the max. A brother of the Tánaiste is said to have a handy income stream from keeping his Oireachtas customers satisfied.

Mark Tighe and Stephen Dunne tell us how much that costs us in the Sunday Times today. It is, even in an era of eye-popping stories of how many public figures' hands are picking the public purse, well, eye-popping.

Many are named and costed, but the most appealing quote in the article is from the short-serving TD George Lee. The Oireachtas hasn't bothered its corporate backside to require former members to give back the publicly funded phones when they exit LH. Mr Lee was funded for three mobiles at a total cost of €647 (including €250 insurance) over his eight months. One of the three was a Blackberry linked to an Oireachtas email system that he no longer uses. George Lee is open to offers:

'I don't think there is much of a market for second-hand phones but if anyone wants that BlackBerry it's lying around and they can have it'.

Last edited:

Holy Cow

Was the contract put out to tender?

There is a lot of corruption going on.

Odyessus

You only need to ask, and he will give it to you. Assuming you get to him first. Let us know how you get on.

The Oireachtas has an unusual concentration of people who lose mobile phones, upgrade at the earliest opportunity, or who run their available expense allowances up to the max. A brother of the Tánaiste is said to have a handy income stream from keeping his Oireachtas customers satisfied.

Mark Tighe and Stephen Dunne tell us how much that costs us in the Sunday Times today. It is, even in an era of eye-popping stories of how many public figures' hands are picking the public purse, well, eye-popping.

Many are named and costed, but the most appealing quote in the article is from the short-serving TD George Lee. The Oireachtas hasn't bothered its corporate backside to require former members to give back the publicly funded phones when they exit LH. Mr Lee was funded for three mobiles at a total cost of €647 (including €250 insurance) over his eight months. One of the three was a Blackberry linked to an Oireachtas email system that he no longer uses. George Lee is open to offers:

'I don't think there is much of a market for second-hand phones but if anyone wants that BlackBerry it's lying around and they can have it'.

Did it occur to the public-spirited Mr Lee, that scourge of government waste, to return his phones and BlackBerry to the office that issued them when he resigned? :rolleyes:

P.S. Is he still using the free parking space in the Dail?

He3

David Norris is said to be the most inexpensive of the phone claimants with just €169. By contrast John Hanafin, also a Senator and brother of Mary, has cost us €3337 since 2004. Norris says

'I don't believe in bleeding the State for everything I can get'

Sync

It's a scam. There's no other word for it. The price has stayed static for the last few years, despite phones dropping in price considerably.

Put aside the idiocy of this not being a tendered process where all TDs get a blackberry each which is managed centrally.

A top of the range blackberry costs less that €350. There's no excuse for this stuff at all.

It's just one of those very typically Irish things. You're genuinely unsure if it's corruption or simple incompetence that's the problem. This is something someone with Leaving Cert business studies could resolve in less than a week.

Malbekh

You only need to ask, and he will give it to you. Assuming you get to him first. Let us know how you get on.

I saw that as well, and considered putting in a request just to see what his response would be.

Odyessus

It's a scam. There's no other word for it. The price has stayed static for the last few years, despite phones dropping in price considerably.

Put aside the idiocy of this not being a tendered process where all TDs get a blackberry each which is managed centrally.

A top of the range blackberry costs less that €350. There's no excuse for this stuff at all.

It's just one of those very typically Irish things. You're genuinely unsure if it's corruption or simple incompetence that's the problem. This is something someone with Leaving Cert business studies could resolve in less than a week.

It's only taxpayers' money. Why should they bother trying to get value for it? It's too much trouble. Besides: "it's not my job".

You'll find they are a lot more careful with their own money.

Barnacle

Well I definitely don't want it, I have one and I hate the dame thing.

(But it does take great pics)

drjimryan2

the jack and jill foundation do really wonderful work and are in bad need for funds.........they take old mobiles.....wake up george, you shoud know what to do.......

of course the 'real question' hasnt been asked(again)...........

are secretaries and advisors 'supplied with phones'?.......

Mushroom

Of course they are.

He3

It's only taxpayers' money. Why should they bother trying to get value for it? It's too much trouble. Besides: "it's not my job".

You'll find they are a lot more careful with their own money.
Several of The Elected pay greater attention than others to the magical task of turning public money into private.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
David Norris is said to be the most inexpensive of the phone claimants with just €169. By contrast John Hanafin, also a Senator and brother of Mary, has cost us €3337 since 2004. Norris says

'I don't believe in bleeding the State for everything I can get'
Do you have a reference for this quote? Cheers,

P.

He3

Do you have a reference for this quote? Cheers,

P.
It is from the same Sunday Times article mentioned in the OP. He does also say he is no saint ...

He3

Any news?

needle_too

Do you want George Lee's BlackBerry?

- I heard he suffered from grapes....

ocoonassa

Really I'm trying to put aside the idiocy of the highest wage earners in the land, not having to buy their own damn phones like everybody else......I can't even.

Abaddon

It never ceases to amaze me at how ignorant our TDs (particularly those in government at the moment) and civil servants are of information technology.

The servers for these Blackberry's are based in Britain. Data and calls for these devices are routed via these servers. How much confidential information pertaining to Irish state affairs are sitting on servers over there? How secure is that data.......

There should be a blanket ban on all civil servants and TDs using these devices for any government business. The tech (smart phones) and infrastructure is in place and available to our government departments that they need not waste money on such blatant fashion accessories.

How long will it be before these wasters are looking for iPhones next, at the cost of the tax payer?

He3