• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Do you wear an Easter Lily?

IrishWelshCelt

So its Easter week and I (SF TDs aside) seem to be the only one wearing a lily in Ireland!

With the poppy such a big thing now in the UK it astounds me that more Irish people arent also embracing this custom of wearing an emblem to honour the dead, especially consider we are approaching the centenary of 1916! Is it simply a case that its not as highly publicised as it should be?

So I ask you P.ie, do you wear an Easter Lily? If so/not then why/why not?

IrishWelshCelt

I bought mine last year on O Connell street so I'm not sure if theres specific spots, I prefer the one I own its a pin version as opposed to this years one which is a material one.

Roy Feen

No, never have, and I wouldn't know where to get one.

Personally I'm not big on using symbolism to respect/mourn/honour anyone or anything, but I have absolutely no problem with people who are.

corporal punishment

In my teens but not for years.

iago1709

Wearing symbols is alright, as long as it doesn't get out of hand and become quasi-compulsory as seems to have happened with the poppy in Britain.

Northsideman

This guy used to, sticky type.

Porkypie

Last edited:

harshreality

Because it's basically like wearing a big sandwich-board which says on its front and back: "I'm a big dirty provo!"
I know people who wear them to commemorate people who died at a time when the word 'provo' was unheard of!

IrishWelshCelt

Because it's basically like wearing a big sandwich-board which says on its front and back: "I'm a big dirty provo!"
How are the provos and 1916 linked? Many Irish people who our proud of their history vastly oppose the PIRA...

Drogheda445

I don't like the idea of wearing symbols at all, especially ones which represent militarism and violence such as the poppy or the lily, but I have respect for those who do.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies