• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Do your duty - holiday at home!

Cooperate for freedom

Well folks, it's that time of the year again. Christmas is over and we all need something to talk about, particularly those in hard felt unemployment blighted remote locations. Surely it is time for us all to spend a few quid holidaying at home at some point this year.

I 've done a little research into this and whilst many people blame the weather the same need for the sun does not appear to be required elsewhere.

The most patriotic tourists in the EU based on a recent 2010 EU report appear to be the French (actually the Speanish 92%) and the least (aprt from Luxembourg) are the Belgians. We are below the average for EU behaviour which shows Europeans spend 77% of their holiday trips in their own country.

France = 89% of total trips were domestic
Belgium = 24% of total trips were domestic
Irl (26 counties) = 51% of total trips were domestic

However size you might say, sun you might say but why is it:

Finland = 85% of total trips were domestic
Sweden = 78% of total trips were domestic
Denmark = 78% of total trips were domestic

Our nearest neighbour the UK had 61% domestic.

It is worth noting that the Finnish enjoy plenty of holidays, 36125 in total (30695 domestic) compared to our 10638 total trips (5430 domestic).

The money spent on all these holidays is of course of huge value: 2009 figures show 898 million was spent on domestic tourism with a whopping 4.156 billion going foreign. The Finnish by comparison out of their total of 8.514 billion only spent 4.155 billion abroad with a hefty balance staying in their own economy 4.359 billion.

It would appear we are not keen on long trips at home (4 nights or more). Irish people had 1170 long trips at home against 3829 abroad. Of course this is why so much of the total expenditure is spent abroad.

If only some of those considering going abroad for a couple of weeks would even consider holidaying at home this year in total or deciding to take a week here and a week there.

I understand people want to go to the sun etc but some people seem to have a total aversion to holidaying at home and miss much of the real quality on offer.

The net injection into tourist regions would improve employment prospects locally and allow people to unify around a more common goal of getting the country going again and allowing an appreciation of the diversity within the Irish nation.

Unemployment rate Donegal in 2011 = 26%.
Clare in 2011 = 18.8

As part of nation building we need to rear our children to at least like Ireland and building fond memories here early on can help foster a love of the country in the future that will bear fruit economically. So whether you have children or not perhaps this year divert some of your money to the local tourist economy and keep some people in jobs and perhaps create new ones. You never know you might just love it.

Report courtesy of Eurostat: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-SF-11-049/EN/KS-SF-11-049-EN.PDF

Last edited:

Northtipp

honestly. you guarantee me the sun and I will stay. simples for me.

Verhofstadt

Website
Least Patriotic are Belgians?.. probably true on a deeper level as the country is a funny construct.

Fair enough, except when you realise that a 90 min drive in any direction from my home takes me out of Belgium (to France, Germany, Hollland or over the channel)

I think you need to take the scale of a country into account when throwing around stats...

Mad as Fish

If I lived in France I to would probably holiday at home, there are excellent reasons why it's a popular destination for other people.

constitutionus

better get onto pat kenny.

he spent this morning telling people to get out of this kip if they can as they need the break

:D

ShoutingIsLeadership

By introducing abortion on demand, the government could instantly reduce the number of people travelling abroad.

:)

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I never holiday in Ireland and I don't intend to as long as I live or have the ability to go abroad. Ireland is poor value for money, the weather is invariably ************************e, food is very ordinary unless you are willing to spend a small fortune and social life depends too much on alcohol.

Given the air of national depression I would say that everyone who can afford it should take a break in the sun as I did for Christmas and New Year. Mind you the comedown afterwards is a bitch.

Sense 0f Wonder

Least Patriotic are Belgians?

Fair enough, except when you realise that a 90 min drive in any direction from my home takes me out of Belgium (to France, Germany, Hollland or over the channel)

I think you need to take the scale of a country into account when throwing around stats...
Agreed. Scale and geographical quirks... Ireland is a small island. Hard to feel like you're "getting away" when you're on the same small island...

Verhofstadt

Website
I never holiday in Ireland and I don't intend to as long as I live or have the ability to go abroad. Ireland is poor value for money, the weather is invariably ************************e, food is very ordinary unless you are willing to spend a small fortune and social life depends too much on alcohol.

Given the air of national depression I would say that everyone who can afford it should take a break in the sun as I did for Christmas and New Year. Mind you the comedown afterwards is a bitch.
Where did you go Keith?

Mad as Fish

Least Patriotic are Belgians?

Upon reflection the whole premise of these figures is totally flawed, they take no account of how many visitors from abroad visit any particular country which would indicate that country's overall appeal and explain why the natives stay home.

D

Deleted member 17573

Who needs the sun when we have great bars and a good trad session......cant beat it...and no sun burn:cool:
Indeed - but if we're interested in tourism we might consider starting the music a little before 11 at night. I'm weary of sitting in pubs when I go to Ireland and the musicians arrive and bring in the gear. Then they sit down and have a couple of pints, after which they start tuning up - that's when you think it's about to start, only to see said musicians return to the bar for another pint or two. By the time it gets started I've usually had my quota and go home. I accept that may be what the locals want - but it certainly is not catering for tourists.

SeanieFitz

Whenever possible I buy Irish and I shop locally even though some of the goods could be purchased cheaper on line. However, if I can afford it, I will always choose to holiday abroad for 2 reasons
1. the weather
2. to get away from the doom and gloom for 2 weeks

Verhofstadt

Website
Agreed. Scale and geographical quirks... Ireland is a small island. Hard to feel like you're "getting away" when you're on the same small island...
Indeed you can holiday in France for all your adult life and never return to the same spot.. big old sod of a place is France.. lovely too in most parts.

Sense 0f Wonder

I would say that everyone who can afford it should take a break in the sun as I did for Christmas and New Year. Mind you the comedown afterwards is a bitch.
You should check out the comedown after ten years of sun, never mind a two week holiday!

Truth.ie

Who needs the sun when we have great bars and a good trad session......cant beat it...and no sun burn:cool:
Thats all fine and good but what can your average family do after 9PM.
Kids aren't welcome or even legally allowed in Irish bar culture.
This is a major culture shock for Mediterranean families with kids who holiday in Ireland.
They're literally confined to their hotel rooms after dark.

D

Dylan2010

NO! I wouldnt rubblish a holiday in Ireland but I need my main holiday to be sunny and rain free and have plenty of kids activities. If I have a one week holiday in ireland it would be last minute.