Doagh Famine villiage. What are they telling tourists?

clonard marxist

Website
www.irsp.ie
I attended this beautifully recreated Donegal Villiage some time back and while enjoying the craftmanship, the turf fires, scones etc. i couldnt help but fume at the the narrative being pumped out by the tour guide, who in what i presume was a concerted effort not to appear an Anglophobe, recalled how.

1. The chief cause of the disaster was the Phytophthora infestans blight, which Ireland was less prepared for than other European countries at the time.
2. The workhouses, while an appalling experience for people acted (and i quote) "as a type of medicine, which prevented people from thinking they could receive handouts for nothing", which would have made people feckless.
3. Todays IMF measures are likewise a 'medicine' which while bitter, the Irish people must swallow.

I $hit you not. No mention of the predatory economic relationship forced upon Ireland by our closest neighbour nor the devastating impact of the imposed leasehold system which forced an entire population into reliance upon a single vulnerable crop. A Zero in depth analysis of the Great Hunger is being offered as 'history' to scores upon scores of international tourists in Donegal every day.

Levellers

I know the staff at Kilmainham jail were ordered to tone down the information.

Truth.ie

I attended this beautifully recreated Donegal Villiage some time back and while enjoying the craftmanship, the turf fires, scones etc. i couldnt help but fume at the the narrative being pumped out by the tour guide, who in what i presume was a concerted effort not to appear an Anglophobe, recalled how.

1. The chief cause of the disaster was the Phytophthora infestans blight, which Ireland was less prepared for than other European countries at the time.
2. The workhouses, while an appalling experience for people acted (and i quote) "as a type of medicine, which prevented people from thinking they could receive handouts for nothing", which would have made people feckless.
3. Todays IMF measures are likewise a 'medicine' which while bitter, the Irish people must swallow.

I $hit you not. No mention of the predatory economic relationship forced upon Ireland by our closest neighbour nor the devastating impact of the imposed leasehold system which forced an entire population into reliance upon a single vulnerable crop. A Zero in depth analysis of the Great Hunger is being offered to scores upon scores of tourists in Donegal every day.
I have been there twice.

Point 1 has some fact to it, and I believe the blight in Ireland was actually traced directly back to Mexico.
I would agree with point 2. I think money for doing nothing has destroyed societies from Detroit to West Belfast.
Point 3 is utter nonsense, and has no comparison whatsoever to point 2.

Doagh Famine Village is a nice place to visit. I think the entrance fee is steep considering the content. I believe it's EU funded and thus may be trying to dance to "he who pays the piper" when it comes to the message it conveys. When I was there the guide was comparing Irish refugees to New York in the 1800's to those crossing the Med today.

I asked the question at the tour as to why Irish people did not eat the abundance of food in the country. Every snail in Ireland is edible. We have other root vegetables. Berries. In fact there are more cows than people in Ireland. Wasn't happy with the "something about nasty landlords" answer.

parentheses

The famine is a very sensitive subject.

The Irish government would not wish to give offence to Britain on this subject.

stopdoingstuff

Is it true it has a big chip shop? Because it's what they would have wanted.

asset test

I have to be honest and say I hadn't heard of this place until OP. I thought it was about Dooagh in Achill TBH, a place that had famine history aswell.

Anyway, if you are not happy with the guided narratives, could you not approach them yourself about it?

The website is a bit sketchy but there is a contact facility.

It's under the aegis of the Inishowen Partership and is supported by the Department of "Environment, Community and Local Government". That Department is non existent AFAIS. Superseded by possibly Arts, Heritage etc.

I'd be asking them to update their website!

Sounds very interesting though.

Visitors Info | Doagh Famine Village & Visitors Center

clonard marxist

Website
www.irsp.ie
Anyway, if you are not happy with the guided narratives, could you not approach them yourself about it?

Visitors Info | Doagh Famine Village & Visitors Center
I was there with the wife, who tugs my arm every time she thinks im going to go off on a political rant as she sees it.
The narrative being passed would have sent Garret Fitzgerald into a strop of rebellion, i was nothing short of furious at the dishonour being heaped upon the victims of that period.
When i returned home a teacher who i know said he had heard a much more accurate analysis from what i can only presume was a different guide.
I considered making contact with the centre itself, although complaining about any worker is anathema to my conscience also, so generally i would be reluctant.
Much better to vent my spleen on the internet, like the best moaners do.

Gin Soaked

I'd be considered a west brit by the OP, (and by many here), but the narrative on the famine needs to be far more brutal about collective failures and neglect as an agent of convenient genocide if we are to be honest here.

I consider it in the same category as the holocaust, albeit a passive version of same.

Point 1 is accurate. But that is a scientific fact enabling a political catastrophe.

asset test

I was there with the wife, who tugs my arm every time she thinks im going to go off on a political rant as she sees it.
The narrative being passed would have sent Garret Fitzgerald into a strop of rebellion, i was nothing short of furious at the dishonour being heaped upon the victims of that period.
When i returned home a teacher who i know said he had heard a much more accurate analysis from what i can only presume was a different guide.
I considered making contact with the centre itself, although complaining about any worker is anathema to my conscience also, so generally i would be reluctant.
Much better to vent my spleen on the internet, like the best moaners do.
Ah your alright. I know what you mean. You win some, you lose some.

Next time I'm up that neck of the woods I will pay a visit and listen to what they say! Will report back, but it could be a while till then......

I'd be a bit bothered by the out of date info WRT Government Departments though. That's a ridiculous faux pas.

GDPR

Ita a very clever exhibition - make a little go a long way. You can explore for hidden doors (that's in the section devoted to the IRA and the Troubles): very interactive.

The best bit for me was the Wake Room, which was scary as f*uck with the open coffin and all.

Dunno who said it was dear - about 5 euros per person, as I recall and we got free tea and biscuits.

The Famine is about five minutes of the actual tour: most of it is oldy-timey customs and folk practices etc.

Truth.ie

By ignoring the predatory economic relationship between Ireland and English capitalism, that is what the tour guide was doing. IMO.
Come on ffs.
It's a family day out and the info given needs to be simplified to squeeze into 10-15 minutes.
It's not a three day seminar on the Cultural Benefits of Marxist Communism.

clonard marxist

Website
www.irsp.ie
Come on ffs.
It's a family day out and the info given needs to be simplified to squeeze into 10-15 minutes.
It's not a three day seminar on the Cultural Benefits of Marxist Communism.
No other country on earth would tolerate it. Rewriting tragedy to suit the emotions of the culprits descendents.

Imagine the Chanell Island Waffen SS firing squad 'it was for our own good really' tour guide analysis.

Truth.ie

No other country on earth would tolerate it.

Imagine the Chanell Island Waffen SS firing squad 'it was for our own good' really tour guide analysis.
But they didnt say the Famine was for our good.
They said the workhouses (horrible as they were) as a reaction to the famine, saved possibly tens of thousands of lives.
In fact the idea of the workhouse (communities working and living in a commune-type unit ) is textbook Communism.

Boy M5

The Skibbereen Heritage Centre takes a more balanced, rather than Labour Party FG Owen Harris view, it's not propaganda but balanced and factual

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies