Does anyone actually understand the government's housing strategy?

Disillusioned democrat

So housing is a very serious issue in Ireland, and we continually get RTE and IT time/space on the crisis and the governments strategy....but does anyone actually know what that strategy is?

Coveney is very active in promising the end of homelessness and affordability issues over the lifetime of the government, but when I went looking today I couldn't find enough material to actually understand how it all comes together.

We're paying almost €1bn in HAP and/or Rent Allowance, we've allowed for a new home allowance, etc.....but what is the actual plan???

Does anyone actually know what the "big picture" plan is?

D

Deleted member 48908

Sounds like Coveney is looking for longevity for the lifetime of his government, rather than actually doing something about the problem.

enuffisenuff

from what I've seen its something like this...

sic transit

The plan as far as I can gather!

Social housing is all about councils getting their arses in gear! The money is there.

Private housing is lot more complicated by banks not funding complete developments, lack of clarity over what NAMA is planning on doing, squabbles over housing mix and those pesky council again and their development fees and height restrictions.

TBH I think there's really a secret plan to keep NAMA for another ten years and get them to organise all the building.

brughahaha

The plan as far as I can gather!

Social housing is all about councils getting their arses in gear! The money is there.

Private housing is lot more complicated by banks not funding complete developments, lack of clarity over what NAMA is planning on doing, squabbles over housing mix and those pesky council again and their development fees and height restrictions.

TBH I think there's really a secret plan to keep NAMA for another ten years and get them to organise all the building.
The plan is to reflate the housing market and push prices to a point where home ownership is beyond a couple on AIW , forcing them to rent from wealthy corporations which will provide jobs for FG ministers girls and boys and profits for it's donors , privatise the provision of social housing further to increase those profits ......apart from the money it's a lovely way of controlling individual behaviour .....any messing and homelessness awaits

Disillusioned democrat

I was actually hoping for "the plan"....a genuine summary of the plan from people who understand. ..are REITs good?, do they make sense? How will all homeless people have homes by June?, should they have?

carlovian

from what I've seen its something like this...

The governments strategy is to ensure house prices increase to protect the banks.

Increased house prices attract vulture funds and protect landlords many of whom are in fg.

If this policy happens to increase homelessness or indebt another generation then tough.

sic transit

The plan is to reflate the housing market and push prices to a point where home ownership is beyond a couple on AIW , forcing them to rent from wealthy corporations which will provide jobs for FG ministers girls and boys and profits for it's donors , privatise the provision of social housing further to increase those profits ......apart from the money it's a lovely way of controlling individual behaviour .....any messing and homelessness awaits
Social housing is all about councils, with some NAMA help. No idea on the rest as the housing market is still pretty dysfunctional.

Disillusioned democrat

Coveney s agenda does not fit with 99% of people in Ireland
...but what IS the stated plan for housing? It's gobbledygook...I'm a reasonably smart individual, but I can't decipher what the DoELG is proposing and how it's supposed to be for the common good.

asset test

Simple.... if they build lots of so called affordable properties and local authority houses/flats then what happens to all those landlord's properties that will become empty, you know the REITS etc.?

They are protecting some interests alright, has to be the case, as the progress on this is slower than a snail on valium.

Catalpast

So housing is a very serious issue in Ireland, and we continually get RTE and IT time/space on the crisis and the governments strategy....but does anyone actually know what that strategy is?

Coveney is very active in promising the end of homelessness and affordability issues over the lifetime of the government, but when I went looking today I couldn't find enough material to actually understand how it all comes together.

We're paying almost €1bn in HAP and/or Rent Allowance, we've allowed for a new home allowance, etc.....but what is the actual plan???

Does anyone actually know what the "big picture" plan is?
Coveney is only throwing shapes - he has no intention of solving it

- at most he will slightly lower the pressure

- and that's it!

Bear in mind his fellow Cabinet Minister Richard 'Brutus' Burton wants 37,000 more foreign students to arrive here in the next five years

- ie 7,400 more people to be housed each year

- when thousands of Irish People are Homeless!

A more dysfunctional Government it would be hard to comprehend!:roll:

This Plan represents a key element of Ireland’s growth strategy for the next five years, and an important action as part of the Action Plan for Education. It aims to increase the economic value of this sector grow to €2.1bn per annum by 2020, a 33% increase. This will involve over 37,000 additional international Higher Education and English Language Training Students coming to Ireland. This will bring the total number of International Higher Education and ELT students in Ireland to over 176,000. - See more at: http://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2016-Press-Releases/PR16-07-10.html#sthash.rvNE1c42.dpuf

07 October, 2016 - Minister Bruton Launches International Education Strategy - Department of Education and Skills
-

im axeled

- and that's it!

Bear in mind his fellow Cabinet Minister Richard 'Brutus' Burton wants 37,000 more foreign students to arrive here in the next five years

This Plan represents a key element of Ireland’s growth strategy for the next five years, and an important action as part of the Action Plan for Education. It aims to increase the economic value of this sector grow to €2.1bn per annum by 2020, a 33% increase. This will involve over 37,000 additional international Higher Education and English Language Training Students coming to Ireland. This will bring the total number of International Higher Education and ELT students in Ireland to over 176,000. - See more at: 07 October, 2016 - Minister Bruton Launches International Education Strategy - Department of Education and Skills

07 October, 2016 - Minister Bruton Launches International Education Strategy - Department of Education and Skills
-

im axeled

- and that's it!

This Plan represents a key element of Ireland’s growth strategy for the next five years, and an important action as part of the Action Plan for Education. It aims to increase the economic value of this sector grow to €2.1bn per annum by 2020, a 33% increase. This will involve over 37,000 additional international Higher Education and English Language Training Students coming to Ireland. This will bring the total number of International Higher Education and ELT students in Ireland to over 176,000. - See more at: 07 October, 2016 - Minister Bruton Launches International Education Strategy - Department of Education and Skills

-

with a statement like that should he not called doofus not brutal

talkingshop

...but what IS the stated plan for housing? It's gobbledygook...I'm a reasonably smart individual, but I can't decipher what the DoELG is proposing and how it's supposed to be for the common good.
Get about 47,000 social houses over the next 5 years, I think. Build some, buy some, and get some though Part V of the Planning Act - that's the main part of it, I think.

Felixness

I don't understand it. I don't understand why we can't find the money to provide acommodation for our ever growing homeless population but we can import 200 illegal migrants from the safety of France, all of whom had already been relocated to housing in other parts of France but chose to return to Calais to continue their ongoing bid to enter Britain illegally. 40 of these will cost 11 million this year and 10 million per year there after, then there's the other 160 nobody is mentioning.

Coveney has said we can expect up to 16 thousand ''Syrians'' who will never be going home, they are all going to be here permanently and will be entitled to all of the same entitlements as an Irish citizen, well more actually because their benefit entitlement won't depend on PRSI contributions. So, given the ever increasing demand for housing natives where is the money for this or the space for all the houses going to come from?

greagh

Its not for the common good ,Coveney takes his orders from Sutherland who represents Globalised capital who have a stake in Ireland thanks to FG and they have to get their pound of flesh before any progress can be really made.

New Threads

Most Replies