• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Does anyone have theory on Dublin North West result in referendum.

leftsoc

Donegal is Donegal, God help us, but does anyone understand the Dublin North West No vote?

Serious answers please, we don't need any more southside snobbish bile on this site.

EUrJokingMeRight

Well they are smarter people for starters.

Analyzer

Massive scepticism concerning the effectiveness of the state to run anything effectively.

Probably crime levels, and the inability with the gardai to cope, being a significant influencing factor towards the way that decent people feel concerning the state.

Analyzer

Tallaght (DSW) and Cork City North Central also have high No votes, and came very close.

Analyzer

The Roisin Shortall versus Dicey Reilly factor ?

statsman

SF's inability to get their voters to support the party line, basically.

B

Boggle

I reckon they just don't trust the govt with their kids. Why them in particular is hard to guess as I don't know much about the area but at a guess (just a guess so don't shoot me if I'm off the mark) I'd say it may be the type of area where the gardai couldn't be bothered doing their job unless it's to act against them and they suspect the social services will be no better.

It might be the type of area where you can get burgled, harassed, assaulted, etc and the gardai do nothing but drive with no tax or smoke a joint and they are all over you... or at least that may be the perception.

Analyzer

I reckon the crime problem is a key contributing factor in Dublin NW.

No mention of that yesterday by the Minister of Justice.

Fact is that the Department of Justice are pretending to be on top of crime in this country, but really it is out of control. In Dublin NW a higher than average share of the electorate feel motivated to dismiss the state's handling of anything.

Orbit v2

Where do people think social workers spend more time visiting families? Dun-Laoghaire or Mulhuddart? Whether the belief is justified or not (the truth is nobody knows) people from disadvantaged areas might well fear a move to a UK style forced adoption system.

Aside from that, people could have felt (rightly) that the referendum wasn't necessary. So, it was a perfect opportunity to give the govt a bloody nose

leftsoc

Tallaght (DSW) and Cork City North Central also have high No votes, and came very close.
I presume Cork NC is working class. I think class ,rather than the efforts of Dana and John Waters, is the explanation.

The pattern seems to point to the referendum being seen as a strengthening of the ability of middle class social workers to confiscate the children of single mothers (I presume its fairly rare for two parents to 'fail').

We can't really know without exit polls. Did nobody care abouit this referendum? Surely its normal for someone to do exit polls.

B

Boggle

I reckon the crime problem is a key contributing factor in Dublin NW.

No mention of that yesterday by the Minister of Justice.

Fact is that the Department of Justice are pretending to be on top of crime in this country, but really it is out of control. In Dublin NW a higher than average share of the electorate feel motivated to dismiss the state's handling of anything.
Pretty similar to my theory. Hard to know without any sort of data and I'd certainly have no inside knowledge being from the Tipp

Franzoni

SF's inability to get their voters to support the party line, basically.
Shows what you know about this area.....

When in doubt call everyone who opposes the current government a shinner....

Analyzer

Pretty similar to my theory. Hard to know without any sort of data and I'd certainly have no inside knowledge being from the Tipp
Just count the number of times that the phrases Finglas, Cabra, Tallaght gardai, Clondalkin, Blanchardstown Garda station, are mentioned in the crimer coverage of the news.

The fact is that the gardai are not able to deal with the level of gun crime, and rampant drugs supply in these locations. The gardai are losing the fight.

B

Boggle

Just count the number of times that the phrases Finglas, Cabra, Tallaght gardai, Clondalkin, Blanchardstown Garda station, are mentioned in the crimer coverage of the news.

The fact is that the gardai are not able to deal with the level of gun crime, and rampant drugs supply in these locations. The gardai are losing the fight.
True but that makes that area no different to the rest of the country... unless it's really bad up there, is it?
(Apart from potentially sensationalised media coverage)

The Preacher

The welfare dependent scummers who breed kids morning noon and night so that they can get their free Council houses are terrified that their kids will be taken off them some afternoon when they're in the pub giving out about "de Govamint" and "de foreigners". Less kids to do their shoplifting for them you see, and of course less dependent kids means less chance of the Holy Grail of a free house.

pragmaticapproach

The welfare dependent scummers who breed kids morning noon and night so that they can get their free Council houses are terrified that their kids will be taken off them some afternoon when they're in the pub giving out about "de Govamint" and "de foreigners". Less kids to do their shoplifting for them you see, and of course less dependent kids means less chance of the Holy Grail of a free house.
could this be a case of Poes law?

You should use an emoticon to let others know you're being sarcastic.

statsman

Shows what you know about this area.....

When in doubt call everyone who opposes the current government a shinner....
SF got 21.7% first prefs in the GE; if they'd got them out in force, the vote would have been a YES.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies