• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

gerhard dengler

Charles Haughey was a partner at accounting firm Oliver Freaney, before founding Haughey Boland & Co, and before he got elected as a TD.

Lots of politicians had successful careers in the private sector before entering politics.
The late Peter Matthews being one.

Fergal Quinn never drew his Senate salary during his time in the Oireachtas. Which I think is very highly commendable.

Mushroom

I suppose they could go into prostitution. Or the senior service as it is known in political circles.
We far prefer to ride the taxpayer; the orgasm is longer and much more satisfactory.

Florence

Jim O'Callaghan SC, Dr Reilly, Dr Varadakar, Consultant Donnelly, Solicitor Shatter, educator Zappone, etc
I dont think Zappone was on big money in the real world. In the Dail though she was able to use her creativity to take the 'scenic route' and that certainly added to her income ( 5 x €20,795 pa taxfree turning up money for the 5 years she was a nominated senator)

eoghanacht

They'd make great Publicans and landlords.

dizillusioned

And Enda was/is a_________________________??????

(answers on the back of a Fag Packet please to: )

Hunter-Gatherer

i would like to see Richard Boyd Barrett as an alternative comedian. Wearing a red nose and floppy shoes....

Dorcha

I wish most of them would go back to their more lucrative private jobs. The country doesn't need them.

cabledude

One of my recurring problems with Irish democracy is that, by and large, our politicians are career politicians who, IMHO, are in politics for themselves rather than any sense of public service.

People like Michael Lowry - with tribunal findings against him and a continually deferred tax case against him is the go-to example. i suspect he's now only in politics to keep himself out of prison.

The late Jackie Healy-Rae made a lot of money from contracts awarded by the council his family and former party dominated.

Bertie Ahern was an unqualified book keeper who made uncountable (by him anyway) money while in local and national government.

In a parallel (and possibly more prosperous) universe our current Taoiseach might me a principal of a country national school based on the acumen he demonstrated as a young adult.

Etc, etc. Too many examples of unqualified and possibly untalented individuals doing well out of politics.

My question is simple - are there politicians out there that people have encountered who they believe are actually in politics out of a sense of public service?
Simon Coveney would quite possibly be an executive with Greencore like his brother who is the CEO. This is Ireland; nepotism rules prominent.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Retired politicians and civil servants don't get appointed to boards for their expertise. They get appointed because they have access to the people who are writing and enforcing the laws.

Wrong. They get appointed, so that their replacement knows that if they continue to play the game and look after the system, they will get a gig on a board when they retire.

hiding behind a poster

One of my recurring problems with Irish democracy is that, by and large, our politicians are career politicians who, IMHO, are in politics for themselves rather than any sense of public service.

People like Michael Lowry - with tribunal findings against him and a continually deferred tax case against him is the go-to example. i suspect he's now only in politics to keep himself out of prison.

The late Jackie Healy-Rae made a lot of money from contracts awarded by the council his family and former party dominated.

Bertie Ahern was an unqualified book keeper who made uncountable (by him anyway) money while in local and national government.

In a parallel (and possibly more prosperous) universe our current Taoiseach might me a principal of a country national school based on the acumen he demonstrated as a young adult.

Etc, etc. Too many examples of unqualified and possibly untalented individuals doing well out of politics.

My question is simple - are there politicians out there that people have encountered who they believe are actually in politics out of a sense of public service?
Yes. Hundreds. And you picked four out of tens of thousands, (one of which there are zero allegations of any form of personal enrichment against) which doesn't exactly nail down your case.

By the way being in politics doesn't keep Lowry out of prison, if there's a case against him it'll be brought regardless of whether he's a TD or not, and history shows that.

hiding behind a poster

There are none that I can think of from FFGLAB that I would ever employ in any capacity, absolutely none and some are obviously promoted beyond any level of ability, of which Fitzie Fitzie is the most blatant example, IMHO!
If I was down in a trench under enemy fire, there is no way I would want De Bert, Biffo or Keny, anywhere near me and in a sense with the survival of the nation at stakeprior to the enforce Troika Criminality that was the case andis quite likely to be the case with Brexit too!
Well aren't you marvellous.

hiding behind a poster

Varadkar never practiced I thought, doubt he could at this stage without serious training. Doesn't seem the caring sort anyway to be honest. The big money requires a fair few more years in education that Vlad might not enjoy.
Can you outline the basis on which you claim Varadkar is "not the caring sort"?

hiding behind a poster

How much money would the likes of McDowell or Callaghan make in the law if the Oireachtas ever deregulated their profession like the Troika told us to. So they keep a toe in the Oireachtas to stop that happening. It's like Seanie Fitzpatrick being the Financial Regulator.
Neither was in the Oireachtas when the Legal Services Bill, Shatter's brainchild, was effectively neutered.

hiding behind a poster

Charles Haughey was a partner at accounting firm Oliver Freaney, before founding Haughey Boland & Co, and before he got elected as a TD.

Lots of politicians had successful careers in the private sector before entering politics.
The late Peter Matthews being one.

Fergal Quinn never drew his Senate salary during his time in the Oireachtas. Which I think is very highly commendable.
Helps to be a multi-millionaire before entering politics, wouldn't you say? Makes gestures like that a lot easier.

ShoutingIsLeadership

If politicians truly reflect their voters, very few of them should be shining stars

Orbit v2

How much money would the likes of McDowell or Callaghan make in the law if the Oireachtas ever deregulated their profession like the Troika told us to. So they keep a toe in the Oireachtas to stop that happening. It's like Seanie Fitzpatrick being the Financial Regulator.
Actually, their profession is deregulated in some senses. Maybe the state pays too much for legal aid, and maybe awards for personal injuries etc are too high. But, it's not hard to believe that some lawyers are better advocates than others and can command higher fees. I don't see the problem with that per-se. As for politicians themselves, I give them some credit particularly in this country where the demands placed on them are impossible to fulfill.

hiding behind a poster

I wish most of them would go back to their more lucrative private jobs. The country doesn't need them.
Surely that's for the country to decide, rather than just you? Anyway if they're all so terrible, stand for election yourself.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom