Does Connaught have a future?

mollox

I think we need to set aside the arguments of the past, and look at this whole Western development thing in a new way.

I think we also need to get away from dry figures and statistics, and remember that first and foremost this is about individuals.

So lets focus on an individual, and ask what kind of Smart Economy Knowledge Society tomfoolery we'd need to bring this Ballinrobe native home from Dublin.

She's from Swinford - her name is Paul and he's a garda.

Anyway, there is hope for Connacht. Tonight the lowest side in the Magners league was narrowly beaten by the potential champions of France, but they went down fighting to the end and might have won with a bit of luck. We need more of that spirit nationally to counter the cynics and doom-sayers.

Best of luck to Leinster & Munster this weekend. The country needs champions.

de valera's' giddy goat

Just to clarify - rather than “suggesting” this, I was making the point that this was a natural outcome if your, and Schuhart’s, “balanced regional development” approach has, as a prerequisite, a requirement that all such regions be ultimately self-financing.

Alonso, going back to my original post, can I ask you to address the following hypothesis, please?

The Regional feasibility study has been completed and finds that the only existing area of Connaught that has a viable financial future is a band approx. 20-30 miles wide, spanning either side of the existing road and rail infrastructure between Athlone & Galway. For the sake of simplicity, let’s say Co Galway and the southern end of Co Roscommon which falls within the catchment area of Athlone.

This economic Galway/Roscommon strip area can be part of a larger viable Region, either linked to the midlands, or alternatively linked with Limerick and Cork to make a strong South-West Region (ref. Dr Ed Walsh).

However, attempting to provide the services and infrastructure to support the low density, relatively poor counties of Mayo, North Roscommon, Sligo & Leitrim drags Galway, and it’s potential new regional partners, below breakeven in every economic scenario modelled.

Consequently, the recommendation is that Mayo, Sligo etc. be designated a National Park.
All future development there, commercial and residential, to be banned. All state agencies instructed not to place any incoming enterprises in these areas, even in existing empty industrial units. All state aid/grants etc for business start-ups no longer apply in the National Park. Depts of Education, Health etc instructed to limit future investment there to minimum maintenance level possible. Etc etc etc.

Now - the questions:
1. Do you think that such an outcome would be politically viable?
2. Do you think it would be acceptable to the population of the country at large?
a national park made up of mayo and sligo lol, what is going to be in this national park, bears roaming down the streets of tubbercurry, wolves hunting for mars bars in crossmolina....sometimes threadsters have a wicked sense of humour, at least i hope this is meant to be a humourous thread

bob3367

If the D4's get there way, Connacht will be closed off for their exclusive use!
Jesus, not satisfied with whinging on one thread, must whinge on another....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies