• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Does High Pay Motivate Us?

Sucker Punch

Discussion on VinB now about Richie Boucher and how the responsibilities he is tasked with warrant such a high "remuneration" package. So, from an empirical, evidenced based perspective, does high pay such as that "earned" by bankers really deliver the best outcomes in terms of job performance?

This video from the RSA animated series may inform the debate:

[video=youtube;u6XAPnuFjJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc[/video]

oggy

Pay has always been my driving force. The bonus was that I always enjoyed the actual work. Pay anyway is best measurement of success

ManInTheArena

High pay certainly motivates, but if high pay is the prime motivator in your job, then, in my experience, you will not perform at anything like your best. Company culture, a sense of being part of something great, and a spirit of friendly competitiveness, when allied to a fair salary, make for great staff performances and amazing companies. This is proven in almost every hugely successful company (Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, etc.) in the world, and is something I can attest to myself.

oggy

Then how do you explain Bertie, Cowen et al's salaries and pensions?
To have to listen to people like you I would be wanting a high multiple of what they earned and their pensions. Not even being sarcastic in saying that

Sucker Punch

Pay has always been my driving force. The bonus was that I always enjoyed the actual work. Pay anyway is best measurement of success

Bonuses are nice, I'll grant you that. However they should only be given for exceptional performance. If an institution is loss making and the chief exec is given a bonus, the corollary would be that the bonus only serves to reward failure, and thus no doubt encourage it.

As for pay being the "measurement of success", I highly doubt that and would like to think that you wrote that with your tongue in your cheek.

Is this man any less successful because he turned down a million dollars?

Dr Grigori Perelman, a reclusive Russian genius, is refusing to accept the prestigious $1 million "Millennium" mathematics prize awarded by the Clay Mathematics Institute in Cambridge, MA.

Perelman was awarded the prize for solving the one-hundred-year-old Poincaré conjecture, one of the most complicated mathematical problems in the world - so complex, in fact, that after Perelman posted his proofs in 2002 it took several years for other experts to confirm he was correct.

Lonewolfe

To have to listen to people like you I would be wanting a high multiple of what they earned and their pensions. Not even being sarcastic in saying that
We should have been paid to listen to them ... and look at them. The bleedin heads on them!

truthisfree

I've turned offers of way better money because I love what I work at, doing this in Ireland is met with sneers and derision....hence I am only here now to gather up bits and pieces to bring to my new home and country. This is the most materialistic and shallow culture that bows it head and kisses ass for money.

Analyzer

It depends on the individual, and it depends on what it motivates them to do.

High pay might motivate a Montrose Millionaire to be a lazy, useless, dishonest, condescending bore.

In fact....it usually does !!!

Tea Party Patriot

I work about 12 hours every day, and spend another two or three hours keeping abreast of political, economic and business developments (admit I enjoy this - especially the political bit here :)), that said while I enjoy my work my main motivator is monetary gain.

I know if it wasn't for the money which gives me a good lifestyle in my free time I wouldn't work at all, idle rich would be my ideal lifestyle.

brughahaha

I work for myself ...... The security money gives you ( as long as you don't always want more) leads to a reduction in stress but its the satisfaction of being independent ( despite the long hours) that i really enjoy

Being honest i wouldn't work for someone else even for twice the money

ManOfReason

It is not all about the pay, the people, the work environment and the flexibility are all important but I do understand that a pay increase is the only meaningful sign of appreciation an employer can give you, kind words and new titles cost them nothing so they mean nothing.

truthisfree

I work for myself ...... The security money gives you ( as long as you don't always want more) leads to a reduction in stress but its the satisfaction of being independent ( despite the long hours) that i really enjoy

Being honest i wouldn't work for someone else even for twice the money
I have turned down twice the money in order to continue working for myself and will continue to do so.....it is not about the pay at all...:)

Toidissatafu

I've turned offers of way better money because I love what I work at, doing this in Ireland is met with sneers and derision....hence I am only here now to gather up bits and pieces to bring to my new home and country. This is the most materialistic and shallow culture that bows it head and kisses ass for money.
Sound enough attitude.

But what do you work at that is met with sneers & derision.
Are you a Politician!
Joking aside, my first instinctive guess [SUP][SUB]for no logical reason[/SUB][/SUP] was you work in a aspect of human health.

If it is a private matter, fine, just curious.
Just that it sounds as if you may be catching the shallow & naive moaning virus >> if you seriously imagine that Ireland is especially negative.

No doubt about this unfortunately, but once they are settled, Humans the world over, generally enjoy complaining & assuming that somewhere different will be even better.

Andycap

Are you John Delaney???

Alan Alda

Yeah .I swallow for an extra ton.
Capitalism rocks!
Really brings out the best in people , I find.

CarnivalOfAction

Said like a true FFailure; in reality pay is inversely proportional to performance. Eg: FFitzy, FFingers, Runner-Dunner, Bert, BiFFo . .

Many people I know who coach hurling, football, soccer, boxing for dozens of kids .... each contribute much more to society than all of those FFailure greedsters combined.

truthisfree

Sound enough attitude.

But what do you work at that is met with sneers & derision.
Are you a Politician!
Joking aside, my first instinctive guess [SUP][SUB]for no logical reason[/SUB][/SUP] was you work in a aspect of human health.

If it is a private matter, fine, just curious.
Just that it sounds as if you may be catching the shallow & naive moaning virus >> if you seriously imagine that Ireland is especially negative.

No doubt about this unfortunately, but once they are settled, Humans the world over, generally enjoy complaining & assuming that somewhere different will be even better.
I work in a creative industry, I have worked/lived in several countries and continents and finally given up permanently on my country of birth. Sad but true. :(

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies