• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Does Ireland need a "Deputy" President?

Male Nude Photographer

This week, owing to legislation on Anglo's promissory note Michael D Higgins had to fly back from Italy and out again during an official state visit.

There was something very cumbersome about this. I'm sure there was something very expensive about it also. The cost of 2 Government jet journeys was incurred - how many home help hours would that have covered?

In this era of instant communication surely the President, when abroad, can study and review any legislation that he needs to sign and pass into law. And surely he should be able to instruct a nominated person in Ireland to sign it on his behalf when out of the country?

Cato

Article 14 of the Constitution answers the need for any deputy.

S

simeongrimes

We can't afford one at current rates. Why not use the solution Charlie and Bertie came up with and have the President sign a few blank bills for the government to use in emergencies.

harshreality

We barely even need a president but I suppose if a deputy or vice can be sourced cheaply and Michael D has a spare bunk bed then why not.

As Cato has indicated, there is already adequate coverage if the President is unavailable or incapacitated.

I read somewhere recently that Obama is making use of digital signatures in oder to sign in some bills.

Mackers

I understand this lad is free at the moment.

ruserious

It's constitutionally unwarranted.

tigerben

It would be used to provide a second pension for someone would doesnt need it!

Cassandra Syndrome

No. Switzerland has neither a President or a Prime Minister. The head of state is each of the number one officials from the 7 government departments that take turns on an annual basis.

How is Switzerland faring out with this arrangement?

Maybe you should stick to your day job, whatever that is......

blokesbloke

I'll do it if you need one.

Or you could right a grave wrong and have Sean Gallagher - after all he still came second!

Eoin Coir

Just as a matter of interest could the bill not be flown out to him in Rome to sign ? Where does it say he must sign up in the Aras ?

Tough Paddy

I'm reliably informed that Gay Byrne is looking for a gig presently!

harshreality

I'll do it if you need one.

Or you could right a grave wrong and have Sean Gallagher - after all he still came second!
Oh dear, I believe you shall ever give up on Seán will you BB.

Sort of admirable I suppose!

Johnny Zordan

What would have happened if Micky D decided to send the ibrc bill to the supreme court ?

sauntersplash

I would say, yes, we clearly need a deputy president to lighten the load of our beloved leprechaun.

I also believe we should institute a second senate, five mayors for every town with more than five people in it, an automatic seat in the Dail for every GAA senior team captain and Civil Service Departments of Inadequecy, Megalomania, Self-Pity, and Theft.

We should then change the name of the country to "Ireland". Kinda has a ring to it.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Your telling me that in this day and age the thing could not have been done online as in a 'pro forma invoice' style? and then have a ceremony on his return. There were no flights into New York this morning due to severe wind, what if the Pres was in a situation where he could not safely land in Ireland? And did we send out Jimmy D to take over from the pres?

Come on we in the Irish political parties just love been able to dip into an endless pot for self serving importance. More ridiculous waste. It never ends. Just because they have stretched the insane debt over an eternity, are they still spend mad, you bet.

So no we do not need a vice pres salary as well as a pres, you need a system that gets around wild spending while keeping the legal requirements. jeez it's basic housekeeping on a budget.

libertarian-right

What if both are gone off on taxpayers money to useless hand shaking nonsense events? What then? I just can't fathom the thought!!