Does Leo Varadkar think there is going to be a general election soon?

Heligoland

He is sending out letters to people who are not in his constituency telling them what a great guy he is. At the next election, due to boundary changes, he will be looking for votes from them, but isn't this supposed to be years away?

http://irishelectionliterature.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/varadkar.jpeg

Also, is he actually allowed to send letters on Leinster House paper to people who aren't his constituents?

I would have thought this was using state resources for electioneering, which is not supposed to happen.

livingstone

Whatever about whether he's allowed to, it doesn't indicate an election any time soon.

Politicians don't just campaign at election time, especially if they are new Constituents. He will want to have his name recogised and a profile built well before any election is called.

Analyzer

Nah. You are forgetting a defining feature of Leo. His aim.

He shoots all over the place. And frequently he shoots both barrells at both feet.

statsman

He is sending out letters to people who are not in his constituency telling them what a great guy he is. At the next election, due to boundary changes, he will be looking for votes from them, but isn't this supposed to be years away?

Also, is he actually allowed to send letters on Leinster House paper to people who aren't his constituents?

I would have thought this was using state resources for electioneering, which is not supposed to happen.
I see nothing in that letter that indicates an imminent GE; boundary changes like this are a long game for sitting TDs.

meriwether

Thats not true.

Ryan Tubbs

You clearly know nothing about politics.

Spanner Island

He shoots all over the place. And frequently he shoots both barrells at both feet.
Yeah... you're probably right... he's said some pretty dumb stuff on more than one occasion...

Then again, we can't claim we want the truth from our TDs and then lambast them when they tell us stuff we don't want to hear...

Personally I'd prefer to be told what's what instead of being patronised with constant bullsh!t and spin...

I also get the impression there's a generational gap in FG and if the old tossers just f***ed off like they should that the younger generation would be a lot more decisive about things like the CPA, the bank debts, promissory notes and 'establishment' reforms etc...

It's about time Kenny's generation p!ssed off... imo.

Porkypie

He has put his full weight behind the group of FG Dublin TDs demanding the property tax be revisited. Noonan is not happy with Leo's stance and a meeting has been called to "sort it out". The group of TDs are saying that the property tax is not a property tax but just an unfair way of raising €500 million. Bondholder Noonan versus "Not another cent" Leo. Very interesting.

crested10

I live in his "new" area - we got a flyer in the door last week - the usual update stuff that the local TDs often send. Presume he's just getting himself into position for whenever the next election happens....

Porkypie

I live in his "new" area - we got a flyer in the door last week - the usual update stuff that the local TDs often send. Presume he's just getting himself into position for whenever the next election happens....
The "old" areas have not received the flyer.

cillian32

He is raising his profile in the new constituency thats all.....He would be stupid if he didnt do it.

meriwether

So what are the guidelines for using Leinster House Stationary to leaflet people outside your constituency?

You can use them to a limit, and they must be declared.

The same goes for photocopying, phones and office usage.

Google it. Google oireachtas envelopes, and there is a guidelines document somewhere. I flicked through it about an hour ago.

Last edited:

Amnesiac

I wouldn't read too much into it. Brian Hayes sent out material a few months back to the portion of Dublin South going to Dublin South-West.

Big Brother

He's probably just a far sighted and vigilant politician who doesn't take his voters for granted.

About time we had pols who communicate with their voters between elections and not just before them.

hiding behind a poster

Sorry, but that letter doesn't come under the category of electioneering. Read it again, and you'll see that he doesn't ask for votes in it. As for whether he thinks there's an election coming, every politician worth his or her salt is already canvassing or leafletting new areas coming into their constituency.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies