• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

AhNowStop

Meehole would rather be out drinking with loyalists than promoting a united Ireland

below is a must read ... incredible stuff

not only does thIs clown think he can speak for us and why we voted for the GFA he also thinks we shouldn’t be interested in endeavouring for an AI or indeed allowed one via normal democratic means

Martin says that the provisions for a simple, 50 per cent plus one requirement in the Belfast Agreement for a majority in favour of unity should stay, he cites Mallon – who argued it should be changed to a system of parallel consent on both communities – approvingly in another respect.
“The spirit behind what Seamus Mallon was arguing is the key point. And he’s right.

AhNowStop

Why should we endeavour for AI?
1/ Do you live in the North?

2/ Did you bother to read the interview?

btw he is in a nationalist party called FF and he calls himself a Nationalist .. Nationalists aspire to a 32 county Ireland ... Or do you think he is in fact NOT a nationalist and FF are maybe NOT a nationalist party ?

Sync

It's a fine article. I don't know what's particularly offensive.
And while he says that the provisions for a simple, 50 per cent plus one requirement in the Belfast Agreement for a majority in favour of unity should stay, he cites Mallon – who argued it should be changed to a system of parallel consent on both communities – approvingly in another respect.
“The spirit behind what Seamus Mallon was arguing is the key point. And he’s right. He said his neighbours have been here for 400 years. It’s about time we learned to live together.

What's wrong with the above?

mangaire2

If it states that -
the requirement in a referendum on a UI, is 50% + 1, in favour of a UI,
there is nothing wrong with it.

AhNowStop

He agrees with Seamus Mallon in subverting democracy in seeking parallel consent ...

he cites Mallon – who argued it should be changed to a system of parallel consent on both communities

Thats what he thinks should happen ... Does he agree with democracy or not ?

Also, can he really call himself a nationalist (which is what the thread's about) when he has ZERO aspiration to seek a UI ?

Sync

He literally says the democratic majority should remain. It's in the article. It's in the excerpt I pasted. Do you not understand what he said? Which word is troubling?

Round tower

If it states that -
the requirement in a referendum on a UI, is 50% + 1, in favour of a UI,
there is nothing wrong with it.
That is what is required but the bigger the margin for a smooth, peacefull transition process to it, how would nationalists in NI like if the NI borderpoll result was
Yes - 50% -1
NO - 50% +1

tsarbomb

btw he is in a nationalist party called FF and he calls himself a Nationalist .. Nationalists aspire to a 32 county Ireland ... Or do you think he is in fact NOT a nationalist and FF are maybe NOT a nationalist party ?
AI is just a unionist veto. Nothing complex about it.

SuirView

HaHa,
Read it and weep!

mangaire2

That is what is required but the bigger the margin for a smooth, peacefull transition process to it, how would nationalists in NI like if the NI borderpoll result was
Yes - 50% -1
NO - 50% +1
the likely reality is that the majority for a UI, or for the continuation of a partitioned Ireland, will be a slim one.,
& those on the !osing side will be disappointed.

of course the borders of NI were drawn up, with the specific intention that there would always be a majority within NI for rule from London.
the Nationalists within the Six County State have had to endure that injustice for almost a century.

McSlaggart

The question now arises is when do we leave the UK?

Do we leave the uk when the nationalist vote gets over 40 % or 45 %? The state becoming some sort of ward of the EU??

Ambiguity on such matters is a recipe for confusion and trouble.

McSlaggart

Yes - 50% -1
NO - 50% +1
Do you not understand that northern Ireland was set up so that nationalists was to be a minority? Nationalists would accept the outcome of the vote and like the nationalists in Scotland try again at a later date.

SuirView

HaHa,
Never forget!

AhNowStop

He literally says the democratic majority should remain. It's in the article. It's in the excerpt I pasted. Do you not understand what he said? Which word is troubling?
If you would try and understand the premise of my post(s) there would be less need for you to be getting smarmy me thinks :rolleyes: ....

The thread title is asking whether Meehole is genuinely a Nationalist or not ... The fact that he would prefer, as Mallon did, parallel consent coupled with the fact that he says himself that he has zero aspirations for pursuing an AI makes that highly unlikely in my view

would you not agree? .. and if not why not?

(and btw I know he says 50%+1 should stay .. I quoted it in my first post ... but as I said, he would prefer it didnt)

SuirView

If you would try and understand the premise of my post(s) there would be less need for you to be getting smarmy me thinks :rolleyes: ....

The thread title is asking whether Meehole is genuinely a Nationalist or not ... The fact that he would prefer, as Mallon did, parallel consent coupled with the fact that he says himself that he has zero aspirations for pursuing an AI makes that highly unlikely in my view

would you not agree? .. and if not why not?

(and btw I know he says 50%+1 should stay .. I quoted it in my first post ... but as I said, he would prefer it didnt)
HaHa,
When you're explaining,
You're losing!

AhNowStop

Yes - 50% -1
NO - 50% +1
Thats democracy for you .. do you not like it either?

and btw we all know the bigger the majority the better .. thats a given

JCR

Meehole would rather be out drinking with loyalists than promoting a united Ireland

below is a must read ... incredible stuff

not only does thIs clown think he can speak for us and why we voted for the GFA he also thinks we shouldn’t be interested in endeavouring for an AI or indeed allowed one via normal democratic means

Martin says that the provisions for a simple, 50 per cent plus one requirement in the Belfast Agreement for a majority in favour of unity should stay, he cites Mallon – who argued it should be changed to a system of parallel consent on both communities – approvingly in another respect.
“The spirit behind what Seamus Mallon was arguing is the key point. And he’s right.

Mallon would know what would actually work. Because he is one of the very few people who took a rational viewpoint on the North. A UI without the consent of unionists would be a disaster for everyone most likely. Unionist's are many things, stupid isn't is not one of them. They know its won't be all peace and conciliation in the event of a U.I.

AhNowStop

AI is just a unionist veto. Nothing complex about it.
No sure how relevant those words were in response to my post .. if you'd like to try again here they are

AhNowStop

Mallon would know what would actually work. Because he is one of the very few people who took a rational viewpoint on the North. A UI without the consent of unionists would be a disaster for everyone most likely. Unionist's are many things, stupid isn't is not one of them. They know its won't be all peace and conciliation in the event of a U.I.
He would aye 😂😂 ...

If Mallon had been the SDLP leader instead of Hume there would be no GFA and no peace .. you obviously know nothing about the place at all.

And I guess you're another one who doesn't believe in Democracy .. deary me thank feck its not up to people like this :rolleyes:

btw the thread asks if Meehole is a genuine Nationalist .. what do you think?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom