Does the EU ever make mistakes?

CatullusV

Italy wont let our equipment through.

That is a domestic issue, not an EU issue. If the EU imposed themselves on this issue you and others would trot out the usual narrative that they are outreaching themselves.

Read the article. The Italian government has decreed that they have first call on essential medical equipment *manufactured in Italy*. Not the EU. Italy. Some people would call that "sovereignty ".

It is also somewhat duplicitous to say that Italy won't let the equipment "through". The truth is that they - with very good reason - are not letting it "out". They have that right in the current circumstances. They would be foolish to allow vital supplies go elsewhere.

Dame_Enda

That is a domestic issue, not an EU issue. If the EU imposed themselves on this issue you and others would trot out the usual narrative that they are outreaching themselves.

Read the article. The Italian government has decreed that they have first call on essential medical equipment *manufactured in Italy*. Not the EU. Italy. Some people would call that "sovereignty ".

It is also somewhat duplicitous to say that Italy won't let the equipment "through". The truth is that they - with very good reason - are not letting it "out". They have that right in the current circumstances. They would be foolish to allow vital supplies go elsewhere.
The EU Commission said this kind of thing violates the free movement of goods (see the article I linked to in the previous post). France and Germany must share the blame for precipitively announcing bans on medical exports when the crisis started. As with the 2015 refugee crisis, big countries are acting unilaterally and in the process undermining the EU.

Last edited:

CatullusV

They are breaking an agreement that was reached at EU level not to do this. The EU Commission said this kind of thing violates the free movement of goods (see the article I linked to in the previous post). France and Germany must share the blame for precipitively announcing bans on medical exports when the crisis started. As with the 2015 refugee crisis, big countries are acting unilaterally and in the process undermining the EU.
Which agreement? There is no compulsion that a member state can demand goods from another.

Please link to the text.

CatullusV

They are breaking an agreement that was reached at EU level not to do this. The EU Commission said this kind of thing violates the free movement of goods (see the article I linked to in the previous post). France and Germany must share the blame for precipitively announcing bans on medical exports when the crisis started. As with the 2015 refugee crisis, big countries are acting unilaterally and in the process undermining the EU.
Please read the article very closely indeed. It does not say what you think it says. To be fair, the emphasis of the article is somewhat awry.

Dame_Enda

Which agreement? There is no compulsion that a member state can demand goods from another.

Please link to the text.
I see now I made an error on that issue and have edited the post. Even so the EU Commission clearly disapproves of this kind of carry on.

The Irish army have said their supply plane has taken off for China. I hope the rest of the EU will allow it to return to Ireland.

blinding

Angry with some member states for blocking transit of our medical equipment.

The government should talk to Meditronics in Galway about buying from them instead so we're not treated this way.
Ireland should not be letting Medical Equipment out of this Country Unless it is getting Reciprocal Arrangements about Medical supplies that are needed coming to Ireland.

This is not Ireland of the Famine Under the British.

CatullusV

I see now I made an error on that issue and have edited the post. Even so the EU Commission clearly disapproves of this kind of carry on.

The Irish army have said their supply plane has taken off for China. I hope the rest of the EU will allow it to return to Ireland.
The point remains. The EU doesn't impose on its member states any obligation to move goods.

My wife has been in calls for much of the morning. Between us we have a laboratory which produces skincare products. It is her thing.

She had turned over some of our manufacturing to hand gel. It was an idle cycle in her manufacturing rhythm.

This is how things work on the ground: as a result of this morning's meetings her lab is in effect commandeered. What had been an informal arrangement is now formalised. It has certain ramifications for her - mainly good - but one of them is that she has first call on supplies. If she orders a gelling agent her order must be filled before the supplier can provide anyone else.

That is just the way things are with strategic supplies.

It's a form of the airline rule. Before helping others - even your children - you put on your own oxygen mask first.

Barroso

The EU Commission said this kind of thing violates the free movement of goods (see the article I linked to in the previous post). France and Germany must share the blame for precipitively announcing bans on medical exports when the crisis started. As with the 2015 refugee crisis, big countries are acting unilaterally and in the process undermining the EU.
Have a look at this wee video - a statement by von der Leyen on the situation caused by the coronavirus.

I'm not sure that I've been reassured by it. It does however address some of what you have written about.

CatullusV

When did France and Germany announce these bans? Can I have a link to them?

I sort of have a vested interest in the issue. I'm unaware of any such ban, and am planning for export from France to Belgium. This is all on foot of discussions with French authorities.

Please come up with this info. My wife spent at least six hours today organising a massive production run and arranging the logistics. Are you claiming that about a third of it will be stopped at the French border? Despite both French and Belgian authorities being involved?

Edit: I've been sharply reminded that she spent nearer to ten hours on the 'phone.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom