Does the Official IRA still exist?

borntorum

It's very hard to get a definitive answer as to whether the OIRA are still in existence and operative. They engaged with the decommisioning body about a year ago, but other than that does anyone know if there is still a command structure in place, or whether the OIRA remains in any way active?

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
Maybe some of the loyalists on here could answer that.
The OIRA and the UDA were very friendly with each other for many years.

vanla sighs

I could tell you but then I'd have to.........:cool:

Honestly, no idea - I'd suspect yes. Seems they've decommissioned their weapons but that doesn't mean they've gone away, you know........

Desperate Dan

Who cares they sold out years ago with their loyalists friends. You would wonder which side they were on.

Rosmuc

It's very hard to get a definitive answer as to whether the OIRA are still in existence and operative. They engaged with the decommisioning body about a year ago, but other than that does anyone know if there is still a command structure in place, or whether the OIRA remains in any way active?
Yes they are still active......... & sitting on the Labour front bench. :)

Desperate Dan

Yes they are still active......... & sitting on the Labour front bench. :)
Good One. They creep in everywhere, remember RTE in the sixties and further on.

Sync

/MOD/ Moved to NI Forum. They were in existence as of Feb this year. /MOD/

Northern Voice

Good question, one I've been wondering about recently as well. What is this about them and the UDA?

borntorum

While History might not have been the most appropriate forum for this thread (that was kind of the point of it;)), I don't think NI is accurate either - the OIRA were certainly significant in Dublin, if not other parts of the South.

Sometimes you hear accusations that (former?) OIRA members are involved in drug dealing, but it's hard to know how much of that is true and how much is score-settling

Lee McKeown

There's also the persistent rumours about the chain of pubs including an 'off the beaten track' bar in the South Belfast suburbs and a cosy little venue RIGHT beside Belfast City Hall.

Would make a good business for laundering money anyway...... :rolleyes:

SevenStars

YES is the simple answer.

SevenStars

Good question, one I've been wondering about recently as well. What is this about them and the UDA?
They struck up communication channels with the UDA when they were genuinely a people's army...But as they degenerated they were involved with welling selling things that shouldnt be sold with the UDA.

Northern Voice

A bit like the INLA cutting deals with the UDA about drug dealing territories. Goes to show money can often supercede 'the cause'.

new jewell

They struck up communication channels with the UDA when they were genuinely a people's army...But as they degenerated they were involved with welling selling things that shouldnt be sold with the UDA.
Care to elaborate,or as they say in some parts put up or shut up.

Maírtín

Firstly the OIRA did not decommission, they are actually quite heavily armed and their stronghold would be in Newry

The ORM who split from the OIRA in the 90s did decommission, however they still have their structures and like the OIRA their stronghold is also in Newry

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies