Does the Yes vote make it easier for men to walk away?

Disillusioned democrat

Much of the debate ahead of the referendum was about choice - "my body, my choice" pretty sums up the primary argument that won the day.

Once the legislation is enacted it is likely to be possible to get a relatively easy abortion up to 12 weeks - most people accept that.

Where does this leave the man in all of this? If a woman becomes pregnant with a man, does he now have a legitimate option to insist on an abortion and walk away

If he does then there's potentially some serious psychological implications for the couple, but if he doesn't it seems highly loaded in favour of the woman.

Analyzer

It makes it certain, than the proportion of men who will be inclined to walk away, will increase.

The sense of obligation for what one does with one's sperm will decrease.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this amounts to "objective attained" for George of the Open Sores society.

Dame_Enda

There is nothing in the proposed legislation that gives the man a veto on the abortion, or the right to force the woman to have an abortion. The new legislation wont come into force until probably the end of the year. But the deletion of the 8th amendment will probably come into force sooner, requiring only the presidential signature because the relevant deletion-legislation has already passed the Oireachtas (unless the Religious Right hold things up in court again like they did with the Childrens referendum result).

Will be interesting to see how the Supreme Court deals with cases that might be brought by women between the deletion of the 8th amendment and the introduction of the new legislation.

GDPR

Much of the debate ahead of the referendum was about choice - "my body, my choice" pretty sums up the primary argument that won the day.

Once the legislation is enacted it is likely to be possible to get a relatively easy abortion up to 12 weeks - most people accept that.

Where does this leave the man in all of this? If a woman becomes pregnant with a man, does he now have a legitimate option to insist on an abortion and walk away

If he does then there's potentially some serious psychological implications for the couple, but if he doesn't it seems highly loaded in favour of the woman.
It leaves it open for more degeneracy. More one stand encounters between men and women because now even if there are consequences, neither man nor woman will need to take responsibility for it.

bob3344

Leaves him completely powerless.

He can insist all he wants.

A guy can have a one night stand & end up paying maintenance for 18 years, another guy could be in a committed relationship & have his child aborted against his wishes.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Both situations avoidable by way of the little raincoat on the old fella.

Destiny's Soldier

It's not just the man who can walk away. The State can walk away nicely.

There are young girls who are jumping for joy because the 8th has been removed.

These same girls in 10 years time will be lying in a hospital bed crying for special medical intervention to save their unborn child at 21 or 22 weeks. Some Consultant will adjudicate that it is not worth the resources of the hospital to provide special attention to the mother.

The Mother will have no recourse to the Constitution to vindicate the right to life of the unborn and no legal basis to challenge the decision of the Consultant.

It's going to happen - just like it happened last week in the UK where twins at 22 weeks were born alive but no medical support was provided for them at birth.

They were mandated to die.

So young women. You can suck it up big time. Repealing the 8th will bite back at you.

damus

Men who are inclined to walk alway will walk away anyway. The prohibition on abortion doesnt make it less likely.

Sync

I did in the original sore loser thread on this.

Gin Soaked

Leaves him completely powerless.

He can insist all he wants.

A guy can have a one night stand & end up paying maintenance for 18 years, another guy could be in a committed relationship & have his child aborted against his wishes.
Men don't get pregnant. Therefore it is not their call. And if you are the sort of man who insists that "your" woman must submit to sex and get pregnant, then you are a monster.

Marital rape laws exist for a reason. No loon called for their repeal...

Spanner Island

You seem to have a very poor impression of humans.

Couples in countries around the world deal with this issue without degenerating into the kind of rubbish you've put in your OP.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Hmm.. I never realised that the No side would take their defeat this badly

Was it just the loss, or the scale of it that bothers ye most?

bob3344

Men don't get pregnant. Therefore it is not their call. And if you are the sort of man who insists that "your" woman must submit to sex and get pregnant, then you are a monster.

Marital rape laws exist for a reason. No loon called for their repeal...
How did you get all that from my post ?

Marital rape laws? Go sell crazy somewhere else.

Spanner Island

I'd say both although the scale of it has obviously shocked them and has triggered a toys out of the pram response in many of them.

Analyzer

Or the murder that will now be unleashed ?

Disillusioned democrat

I find this dismissive response part of why I voted NO - because no one could actually say what Yes meant other that to trust politicians.

Now that it's Yes, fine, but don't you thin it's a bit unhelpful to discuss what it will actually mean?

Shutting down discussion is what many No voters feared.

New Threads

Most Replies