• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

DOFA is worried about the rise in dodgy Irish Passports as the numbers issued keeps on rising

Catalpast

The Department of Foreign Affairs is concerned about the “significant and increasingly sophisticated” threat of passport fraud.

In briefing notes, the Minister is warned of the need for urgent changes in the passport application system.

The department says the current paper-based system is inadequate and fails to deal with increased demand.

Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan is urged to invest in the latest anti-fraud technology and techniques to protect the “integrity and international standing of the Irish passport”.

A fraud section has been established and a series of investigations are under way into “fraudulently obtained genuine passports”.

Gardaí have also initiated an initiative called Operation Refresh, dedicated to these cases.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/significant-sophisticated-fraud-threat-to-irish-passport-1.2673808

While no surprise that Irish passports are fraudulently obtained it is truly a Wonder that it is only now that a Fraud section is being obtained to investigate this problem!

Older readers might recall that some years ago I posted a thread on an article in Metro Éireann that reported that many non Irish people who were granted Irish Citizenship

- could not actually get an Irish Passport

- because they could not actually provide proof to the PO as to their true identities!

I wonder was that relaxed (because ME never mentioned it again)

- and this is now the Kickback?

Dr Pat

The Department of Foreign Affairs is concerned about the “significant and increasingly sophisticated” threat of passport fraud.

In briefing notes, the Minister is warned of the need for urgent changes in the passport application system.

The department says the current paper-based system is inadequate and fails to deal with increased demand.

Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan is urged to invest in the latest anti-fraud technology and techniques to protect the “integrity and international standing of the Irish passport”.

A fraud section has been established and a series of investigations are under way into “fraudulently obtained genuine passports”.

Gardaí have also initiated an initiative called Operation Refresh, dedicated to these cases.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/significant-sophisticated-fraud-threat-to-irish-passport-1.2673808

While no surprise that Irish passports are fraudulently obtained it is truly a Wonder that it is only now that a Fraud section is being obtained to investigate this problem!

Older readers might recall that some years ago I posted a thread on an article in Metro Éireann that reported that many non Irish people who were granted Irish Citizenship

- could not actually get an Irish Passport

- because they could not actually provide proof to the PO as to their true identities!

I wonder was that relaxed (because ME never mentioned it again)

- and this is now the Kickback?
I understand that there has been a huge increase over recent years in reporting of 'lost' or 'stolen' passports with a view to getting a substitute one. It would be interesting to know in what countries they have been lost or stolen......

It was announced in 2014 that approximately 120 Irish passports were being reported as 'lost' every day!

Last edited:

tsarbomb

This is alarming. I would have thought that forging a passport would be extremely difficult, but still there should have been a dedicated unit for combating attempts to forge them given how important passports are. Still, its good that they are doing something about it.

Priority should be given to checking the passports that belong to people with names from the ME as they would be likely to want to forge passports and also that they would use these forged passports for the most vile reasons.

bonkers

This is alarming. I would have thought that forging a passport would be extremely difficult, but still there should have been a dedicated unit for combating attempts to forge them given how important passports are. Still, its good that they are doing something about it.

Priority should be given to checking the passports that belong to people with names from the ME as they would be likely to want to forge passports and also that they would use these forged passports for the most vile reasons.
Some vile people from the Middle East have already used forged Irish passports......Irish passports used in Hamas killing by Israel were forged - IrishCentral.com

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The Sir Humphreycrats in Iveagh House have always felt that the administration of passports is beneath them, in fact it's above them and ought to be handed to the DSP (bar obviously emergency overseas issues)

Also the nonsense of having a Garda sign is a waste of time, just what extra security does that provide?

Techniques such as:
-posting a verification code to the purported address
-requiring a €1 credit card swipe which would be refunded
-taking hi res photos of the applicant and other biometrics(and searching electronically for same)
-interviewing /researching applicants based on risk profiling, ditto for those in applicants community

And so on would be proper.

cyp

subic

The OP refers to fraudulent not forged passports. Irish passports actually have a high level of security features.

Catalpast

The OP refers to fraudulent not forged passports. Irish passports actually have a high level of security features.
Indeed - it has become harder to forge passports

- but not impossible

it is hard to escape the conclusion that Irish passports are highly prized items and most of those obtained fraudulently are destined for abroad

While I accept that Irish criminals would make use of these

- I doubt that the total number of them needing one would come close to the numbers that would raise the concern of DOFA to issue a statement on the problem

Franzoni

I filled in a renewal for my passport recently...

I was shocked to see it still allows bank managers and other so called 'pillars' of the community allowed to sign the form in place of guard.... and as as cYp points out what use is that either...?..i know none of the guards in my local stations and never see or have to interact with them apart from such mundane matters every few years....

If we have learned anything from the revelations of the last 20 years is that a lot of these people have feet of clay the same as the rest of us....

I'd also say having to queue up in the foyer of a Garda station for nearly an hour with young children to get a few passport photos signed while junkies and scumbags are trying to sign on is a joke....

Adijazz

How can we be worried about fake passports when we give out Irish citizenship so flippantly?

Catalpast

How can we be worried about fake passports when we give out Irish citizenship so flippantly?
I think that is the hidden message from DOFA

- we are dishing out passports by the tens of thousands

- to people who were given 'Irish Citizenship'

- yet were unable to prove to the PO that they had personal identification documentation

- to prove who they were

It looks like the PO were just told to give them one anyway

- and now it has become obvious that the whole thing is a Sham...

On really has to wonder how so many people were given Irish citizenship

- on such shaky grounds if identification?:confused:

Dr Pat

- yet were unable to prove to the PO that they had personal identification documentation

- to prove who they were

This is frightening stuff. We have been saying it over and over again on this site that the confetti citizenship instituted by Shatter and continued by the 'yes, Enda' Fitzgerald would come back to haunt Irish society as one of the great scandals when the worms finally come crawling out of the can, as they must. Of course, all those involved in sanctioning this will have taken their retirement pensions and disappeared.

subic

- to prove who they were

This is where the whole joke of a system collapses in on itself.

They can't have a passport to apply for asylum because it would reveal their nationality and visas/entry/exit stamps for other first entry countries which would negate their application. So they 'lose' their passports en route and come up with a fake identity/nationality.

They get refused asylum because of their "**** and bull story".

They subsequently get leave to remain and a Stamp 4.

After 5 years they apply for citizenship to the Dept of Justice and Equality and are approved naturalization.

They then apply to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs for a passport and can't provide suitable identification.

So we essentially have one dept approving citizenship and another refusing a passport because they can't identify them.

It's like something out of a political parody series.

Dr Pat

They can't have a passport to apply for asylum because it would reveal their nationality and visas/entry/exit stamps for other first entry countries which would negate their application. So they 'lose' their passports en route and come up with a fake identity/nationality.

After 5 years they apply for citizenship to the Dept of Justice and Equality and are approved naturalization.

They then apply to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs for a passport and can't provide suitable identification.

So we essentially have one dept approving citizenship and another refusing a passport because they can't identify them.

This ongoing scam is being perpetrated on and at the expense of the Irish People and is now a sacred cow for Government policy. What a shower our politicians are to allow this to continue all in the name of political correctness and doffing the cap to Merkel and Obama.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wouldn't worry about it. The Irish government has been selling the convenience of Irish passports for years.

All of Jimmy Carter's helicopter squads which went down in the desert on their way to Tehran were US citizens carrying Irish passports.

There has never been an Irish Foreign Minister with the balls to say 'no' to the big boys.

APettigrew92

My personal favourite "???" moment came last year.

Unexpected turbulence at Dublin Airport: seven passengers on inaugural flight from Ethiopia claim asylum - Independent.ie

Apparently those poor folks lost their passports in midair. What a bizarre inconvenience.

Poor passport protection leads to people taking advantage of it. Common sense. Pretty sure that the Government don't particularly care.

The whole "language schools" scam was shut down in the US and the UK. So they moved to a patsy country - Ireland - and began the exact same thing.

A few politicians, some shady donations and some under-the-counter payments leads to this.

There has yet to be a serious criminal occurence yet it is only a matter of time.

Well, we had this.
Cocaine mule was supplying Dublin users - Independent.ie

For every nine decent individuals that come, at least one thug comes along with them. It's Immigration services' job to rectify that.

Otherwise it only gets worse. No problem goes away by being ignored.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The low point was reached in my opinion when Tony Blair's children got to travel on Irish passports.

Mostly arranged by the Ahern government whose arse was anyones for a fiver.

Dr Pat

My personal favourite "???" moment came last year.

Unexpected turbulence at Dublin Airport: seven passengers on inaugural flight from Ethiopia claim asylum - Independent.ie

Apparently those poor folks lost their passports in midair. What a bizarre inconvenience.

Poor passport protection leads to people taking advantage of it. Common sense. Pretty sure that the Government don't particularly care.

The whole "language schools" scam was shut down in the US and the UK. So they moved to a patsy country - Ireland - and began the exact same thing.

A few politicians, some shady donations and some under-the-counter payments leads to this.

There has yet to be a serious criminal occurence yet it is only a matter of time.

Well, we had this.
Cocaine mule was supplying Dublin users - Independent.ie

For every nine decent individuals that come, at least one thug comes along with them. It's Immigration services' job to rectify that.

Otherwise it only gets worse. No problem goes away by being ignored.
According to that report, the woman on the same flight as the unfortunate man who died horrifically was a Portuguese national travelling on an Angolan passport found with 4lbs of Brazilian baking powder - she runs a language school in Dublin.

Ex celt

"Irish Passports" are illegal anyway insofar as they are issued by a "state" which illegally seceded from the UK. To this day people from this islet may go over to the motherland without a passport. They may also vote in UK elections. This proves my point.

Johnny Zordan

A new rule came in a few weeks ago that adults getting their first passport must have a welfare id card from their local dole office.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies