• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Dog hacked to death on Valentines night - time to get stricter with Animal Cruelty Laws?

Does Ireland need stricter Animal Cruelty laws?

• Yes

Votes: 130 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
That's no excuse - he knew this was about as wrong as you can get, and if he did not then he is dangerously insane and needs to be locked away for the safety of the community
'serious mental problems' means it's not an excuse but could help with an explanation.

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
Here you go Tim....Abuse Connection - The Link Between Animal Cruelty and Interpersonal Violence | Pet-Abuse.Com Animal Cruelty Database. There are lots of studies to show that this is true. You can look up the rest for yourself.
This is a study of people who commit violence against animals.
Show me a study where Murderers have a history of animal abuse.
Pick any murder in Ireland over the last 5 years and show me links of a history of animal abuse?
Most murders are out of character unless you're talking about gangland or political etc. In which case there are
other motives for murder, none based in animal cruelty.

Yes, many people who are violent to animals are violent to people but it'snot a bases a definition of a potential Murderer.

Rural

People who commit violent acts against animals are 5 times more likely to commit violent crimes against humans.

How likely are people to commit murder?
How likely are the people who have committed murder to have a history of animal cruelty?
I dunno, I just feel that anyone who is capable of cruelty or neglect to an animal is capable of the same to a child or an elderly person.

Just me, in the kitchen, thinking.

Franzoni

Didn't Dahmer start out with killing birds and animals before moving onto humans..?

Seanie Lemass

There is an obvious link between cruelty to animals and to humans.

The link between animal cruelty and murder is less obvious because many murders are 'crimes of passion' or carried out in the course of armed robberies, criminal feuds, political violence etc. You could be involved in any of those without necesscarily being sadistic either towards humans or animals.

There is a link between psychopaths and animal cruelty, especially where it involved torture of victims.

My own take, based on experience of people, is that those who mistreat animals either from a lack of empathy or plain cruelty are scum in other ways as well and often sub normally intelligent and liable to get up to anything if they think they can get away with it. There are such scum near me who have animals locked up all day in small enclosures. People to be avoided and kept under heel. Unfortunately society protects them in many ways.

kalipa

Where did this happen ?

Andy4571

kalipa

Thanks Rural. I hate cruelty of any kind but I would gladly give that scumbag a taste of his own medicine.

Andy4571

That sick dog owner needs a good long spell in prison to think about what he done.

Rural

Look at all the names that humans call other humans - That are dog names:

B!tch, cur, that one is a dog, ya little pup, ya hairy mongrel, dirty dog etc....

Mercurial

We should treat people who treat dogs cruelly as we would treat people who inflicted the same kind of abuse on a human child.

kalipa

Look at all the names that humans call other humans - That are dog names:

B!tch, cur, that one is a dog, ya little pup, ya hairy mongrel, dirty dog etc....
Very true. There are times I much prefer my dogs to humans I come across . I firmly believe that anyone who can harm defensless and trusting animals is capable of doing the same to humans .

carruthers

What sort of legal system do we have that they are not confident of a conviction in a case like this? What sort of sick individual tries to put a dog down with an axe? I know you need a license to have a dog but should you also have a fitness of ownership certificate? I'm against nanny statism but when you are dealing with individuals like this then you wonder.

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
We should treat people who treat dogs cruelly as we would treat people who inflicted the same kind of abuse on a human child.
No. A dog is not on the same level as a human child regardless of how much people love their dogs the state needs to be very clear that a child and a dog are not equals.

Rural

What sort of legal system do we have that they are not confident of a conviction in a case like this? What sort of sick individual tries to put a dog down with an axe? I know you need a license to have a dog but should you also have a fitness of ownership certificate? I'm against nanny statism but when you are dealing with individuals like this then you wonder.
The SPCA check on adopted dogs and their owners - That's all, private breeders sell and count the dosh.

Druidess

How can they not be absolutely sure of a conviction?

The f--ker who did this is dangerous to animals and humans. Its a proven fact that many serial killers practice on animals before they graduate to people.

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
How can they not be absolutely sure of a conviction?

The f--ker who did this is dangerous to animals and humans. Its a proven fact that many serial killers practice on animals before they graduate to people.
This is a sad story that should e dealt with in the courts. Repeating this sort of madness is pointless. Most serial killers are white males, single and middle class. Lock me up to so.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies