• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dog micro chipping. A bit Ruff?

Boy M5

Sorry couldn't resist the pun.

However, many rural based pensioners have dogs for company & security. Now to target this group for taxation does seem inequitable. The cost is €20 . I imagine that a number of these older, more conservative, rural dwellers have voted for FG / form part of the traditional FG base. Though not as far reaching in impact as the FF medical card debacle (how many of those protesting pensioners were Dublin / Leinster based?)

The excuse is apparently that Coveney say's he's learned his lesson over the horsemeat scandal.
Now unless he's scared of Korean food processors this argument seems a bit lame.
Particularly as his Parliamentry colleague (& Daffy Duck soundalike) raised the issue of chipping of horses 2 years ago (a European Directive) and there did seem to be a bit of long fingering over the issue from Coveney

Dáil Éireann - 29/Jun/2011 Written Answers - EU Directives

However, before attacking the government on the issue of chipping dogs, its worth remembering that some of these rural based mutts are known to wonder into farmers' fields and attack livestock:

ICSA: sheep kills underline need for compulsory microchipping of dogs - ICSA Ireland - Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers' Association

So given the links between farming and FG, Coveney maybe pandering to his base as much as upsettting it & unless Gimmeemore and his social engineering dinnerparty chums decide to tax Child of Prague statues, perhaps this dog chipping is electorally neutral for the Government in rural Ireland.

dizillusioned

As usual it is the genuine dog owners who will comply. Those who have no interest in the welfare of dogs will not abide by the law. Personally, I am in favour of dog chips. The main concern that I have is that those ho do not comply, will not get proper vet assistance should the dog need it.

Ribeye

Humans next,

Killerbank

Dogs as Agricultural Produce??

It is reported that Simon Coveney was motivated to bring in dog microchip legislation as a result of the horse meat scandal. What? Horse Meat mixed in with beef and lamb and pork and - now Dog Meat is feared? I have heard of food traceability "from farm to fork" (Ugghh!) but from kennel to table?

Anyway why is the Mininster for Agriculture involved in microchipping animals that are essentially domestic pets? Should such a measure not come from the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter?

commonman

We we should micro our TDs find out where the be when there not in the dail

Boy M5

It is reported that Simon Coveney was motivated to bring in dog microchip legislation as a result of the horse meat scandal. What? Horse Meat mixed in with beef and lamb and pork and - now Dog Meat is feared? I have heard of food traceability "from farm to fork" (Ugghh!) but from kennel to table?

Anyway why is the Mininster for Agriculture involved in microchipping animals that are essentially domestic pets? Should such a measure not come from the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter?
Hence my Korean food processor comment....

Ulster-Lad

Perhaps not as far out there as some may think?

Has DOG meat been found in our food? New takeaway horror after experts discover 'mystery meat' in a lamb curry | Mail Online

TARZAN

So now we are going to have dog wardens going around scanning dogs to see if they are micro chipped and if not, on the spot fines for the persons walking them.:p It's unbelievable the lengths this government are willing to go to impose taxes on people. Old vulnerable people who keep a dog in the house for company and as a burglar deterrent are once again being forced to pay for the mistakes of criminal bankers and property developers.

Kev408

This has been planned for a while now but they kept a muzzle on it. Personally, I think they're barking up the wrong tree.

Disillusioned democrat

I'm beginning to wonder if FG can imagine any solution to any problem that doesn't involve people having to pay the private sector for services they don't actually want/need.

Their answer to the water "crisis" was a plan to install water meters and pay a private company over 5 years. Theie answer to the "carnage" on tye road was to double the frequency of NCTs and now the response to the packs of feral dogs rampaging our cities (I presume) will be to pay the vets to microchip dogs.

No wonder FG are considered the business(wo) man's party.

Seanie Lemass

I'm beginning to wonder if FG can imagine any solution to any problem that doesn't involve people having to pay the private sector for services they don't actually want/need.
Their answer to the water "crisis" was a plan to install water meters and pay a private company over 5 years. Theie answer to the "carnage" on tye road was to double the frequency of NCTs and now the response to the packs of feral dogs rampaging our cities (I presume) will be to pay the vets to microchip dogs.

No wonder FG are considered the business(wo) man's party.

Good point DD. More money for vets. I have stopped using vets, including for needless vaccinations, as they attempt to inveigle you into regular and unnesscary visits that cost large amounts of money over the long term. I have dog which is not vaccinnated - due to incompetence of vet and getting dates wrong which cost me another 120 Euro before I told them to forget about it. When she was seeing the vet she discovered several 'ailments' which required further visits and treatments. The dog was actually getting worse, dangeroulsy so on one occassion. Since visits stopped a year ago, the dog has thrived.

pippakin

Its a good idea but if someone is living alone on a limited income and a lot of elderly people are there should be some way of subsidizing the cost.

Its all very well for govt to come up with more ways of taking money off of people but not everyone can afford to pay for the household tax, the septic tank change and now micro chipping their dog/s.

Ribeye

First they came for the pooches, but I said nothing, for I was not a pooch...

'orebel

First they came for the pooches, but I said nothing, for I was not a pooch...
Then they came for the weird cow/sheep/bee hybrids........mwah ha ha

TARZAN

It's a huge joke and will be impossible to monitor. A friend of mine who exports greyhounds to Britain said it costs him 50 euro per dog and that is the cheapest he can get. Some vets he said charge 70 and 80 so the minister saying it will only cost 20 euro is pure bullsxxt.

Carl Claudius

As usual it is the genuine dog owners who will comply. Those who have no interest in the welfare of dogs will not abide by the law. Personally, I am in favour of dog chips. The main concern that I have is that those ho do not comply, will not get proper vet assistance should the dog need it.
if it means you can track down your dog when the gypos steal him then its a good idea.

'orebel

It's a huge joke and will be impossible to monitor. A friend of mine who exports greyhounds to Britain said it costs him 50 euro per dog and that is the cheapest he can get. Some vets he said charge 70 and 80 so the minister saying it will only cost 20 euro is pure bullsxxt.
That's not important. What's important is that most people will pay for it. Since when do we enforce legislation in this country? We just keep churning the stuff out safe in the knowledge that the majority will pay up

FakeViking

Grow up.

Needy pet owners are invited to have their pets microchipped at a reduced cost of €20.00.
Blue Cross Ireland Welfare Schemes

One of many schemes available countrywide.

'orebel

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies