• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

dogs savage sheep in Roscommon

B

birthday

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CHgQFjAO&url=http://www.thejournal.ie/sheep-attacked-dogs-roscommon-740342-Jan2013/&ei=vsDpUJiCE8eBhQe0kYHABA&usg=AFQjCNEyQ-O01CTYpMWjqHTQwXhPGZ4vQQ

46 sheep savagely killed by roaming dogs in Roscommon.

For anyone concerned about animal welfare the pictures of the aftermath are truly disgusting.
The affect on the livelihood of farmers is also significant when this happens.

Often pet dogs can roam outside their urban areas into nearby sheep country and do immense damage to pregnant ewes.
Owners are sometimes completely unaware that their darling Spot ( who they clean up after every time he does his business on the main street) can turn into a savage killer at night when he forms hunting packs with other dogs.

In this case it may be wild dogs.

Should farmers be given a freer hand in dealing with this or is it just a matter of extra insurance or compensation?
At a minimum should dog control laws and requirement for licences be enforced?

drummed

Far as i know dogs which wander onto farms can be shot if they worry sheep/cattle. That is what happens frequently. Few farmers will be too concerned about the law if they are present and have the means.

Lonewolfe

Farmers can shoot and are within their rights to do so, that won't pay for their dead sheep though.

Compulsory dog insurance might be the way to go. Too many knob heads own dogs that they can't/won't look after anyway.

Wigmore

Have the dogs been arrested, informed of their rights, questioned in front of a solicitor and duly charged and convicted? If not, they are only suspects in this awful crime. You may have prejudiced their trial. How could you?
Agree. Otherwise it would be ruff justice.

EUrJokingMeRight

Meanwhile politicians savagely attack the electorate with cuts to income, quality of life and personal freedoms.

Baaa......

Cornerman

In Switzerland to obtain a permit to own a dog you must complete a two day theory course followed by a one day a week for 5 weeks practical course. This is mandatory. As is liability insurance, and in some cantons only the registered owner of the dog is allowed to bring the dog out in public (in other areas you need third party insurance for named other dog walkers - but not paid ones).

Here I guess most people don't even buy the €20 licence.

Analyzer

In Switzerland to obtain a permit to own a dog you must complete a two day theory course followed by a one day a week for 5 weeks practical course. This is mandatory. As is liability insurance, and in some cantons only the registered owner of the dog is allowed to bring the dog out in public (in other areas you need third party insurance for named other dog walkers - but not paid ones).

Here I guess most people don't even buy the €20 licence.
Who owns that pup in Fagan's in Drumcondra ?

He savaged the country....

gatsbygirl20

The savaging--or "worrying", as it is called-- happened at Castlerea--the home turf of Luke "Ming" Flanagan, and of course also the home of that venerable journalist John Waters

Dwell on that, ye posters....

Cornerman

Who owns that pup in Fagan's in Drumcondra ?

He savaged the country....
I was going to make a recommendation about farmers and shot guns in relation to said pup in Drumcondra, but I'd probably get a warning from that springjack fella they're on about in the Feed Back forum.

Seanie Lemass

Question, are you being a responsible owner if you let your dog roam loose?

There was another story yesterday about a three month old lurcher puppy who was found with his head wedged between two walls having had its throat slashed.

Lurcher puppy has throat slashed in brutal attack · TheJournal.ie

Scum who did that are capable of anything. I would have no compunction about putting them down.

As for the general point, farmers who shoot dogs attacking their animals are well within their rights and people who allow their dogs to roam free shouldn't have them.

Seanie Lemass

I was going to make a recommendation about farmers and shot guns in relation to said pup in Drumcondra, but I'd probably get a warning from that springjack fella they're on about in the Feed Back forum.

Stringvest would just make some rambling anally retentive and totally obscure and irrelevent point about syntax and logic :)

(PS. I have left the loser a scented rabbit in my post. Shall he pursue it????

Tune in after Downton Abbey....)

ruserious

Can't leave Lonewolfe out anywhere.