• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dolores Kelly calls for SDLP to go into opposition.

J

Johnny Boy

BBC News - Dolores Kelly says SDLP 'should think about opposition'

As a (mostly) SDLP voter I'm surprised that this has been so long coming.
We have the worst of both worlds at the moment.
DUP lunatics govern us on the one hand, & over the past few years have made us an international laughing stock (Wilson, the climate change denier as Environment Minister, and then Culture Minister McCausland (I think it was him rather than Big Ears?) calling for an alternative DUP-clown history of the Giant's Causeway, to ingratiate the religious fanatics who support them.
Then we have the fraudulent Shinners who have reneged on every promise they ever made. Allegedly the latter crowd all only earn the average industrial wage. They're not even worth half of it.
To the SDLP I say: get working! Show these conmen up for what they are. Go into oppostion. It will take time but it is the only way to recover the high ground within nationalism.
It is time to put the shinner w4nkers in their place.

belfast1981

Who else would back them though? I can only really think of the TUV. While providing opposition they won't have enough to really make any substantial challenge to DUP/SF. Not sure the UUP could even challenge anything either.

C

Castle Ray

McDonnell has ruled it out saying it would take the SDLP "into oblivion". A DUP/SF patsy is his preference for his party.

J

Johnny Boy

McDonnell has ruled it out saying it would take the SDLP "into oblivion". A DUP/SF patsy is his preference for his party.
McDonnell is an arrogant pr1ck who gratuitously turns people off, and he's a temporary leader. I'll not be voting SDLP while he leads them.
If the SDLP is to survive he needs to be the first 'baggage' dumped overboard to keep the ship afloat.

C

Castle Ray

McDonnell is an arrogant pr1ck who gratuitously turns people off, and he's a temporary leader. I'll not be voting SDLP while he leads them.
If the SDLP is to survive he needs to be the first 'baggage' dumped overboard to keep the ship afloat.
Alex Attwood stood on an opposition ticket for the leadership and was defeated. McCallister of the UUP stood on an opposition ticket for the leadership and was defeated. Alliance have demonstrated they'll do anything to keep their ministerial seats. Those three parties are just a patsy of the DUP/SF. It's an appalling system made worse by parties with no guts. In my opinion the government should fund an opposition as SF will veto any end to the current set up of power sharing as they fear any attempts to change this is aimed at excluding them.

Just Jack

The Provos will soon be taking over all of Stormont, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

SgtBilko

The Provos will soon be taking over all of Stormont, so I wouldn’t worry too much.
Even more Provos helping administer British rule? Lovely.

Hey Jack...I've notice you're posts have 'mellowed' somewhat recently. Not so much 'rabid support at all costs' for Irish Republican terrorists....and even a little humanity from you in the 'Enniskillen' thread.

It didn't go unnoticed. I knew you had it in you.

FitzjamesHorse

Website
fitzjameshorselooksattheworld.wordpress.com
Twitter
FitzjamesHorse
I was at the conference. Dolores actually autographed the speech for me.
I think there is no real call to go into Opposition on Monday morning.
It is actually doing TWO things......setting up a longish debate about Opposition......and signalling to other Parties and indeed the British and Irish governments that it is on the table.
As always in politics..there is a principle and an opportunity.
The principle is that the Good Friday Agreement is already being rolled back....indeed I think the DUP are intent on rolling the entire process back to 1966.
The opportunity....is obviously to point out how feeble Sinn Féin are.
And of course exploiting the division between Sinn Féin MLAs and their base.
Frankly this was the position that the SDLP fell into. As one delegate put it...having re-vitalised a branch.....the people in his town never left the SDLP "the SDLP left US". And he was cheered to the echo.
Because this time SDLP are listening to their own voices

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
It is actually doing TWO things......setting up a longish debate about Opposition......and signalling to other Parties and indeed the British and Irish governments that it is on the table.
The principle is that the Good Friday Agreement is already being rolled back....indeed I think the DUP are intent on rolling the entire process back to 1966.
Frankly this was the position that the SDLP fell into. As one delegate put it...having re-vitalised a branch.....the people in his town never left the SDLP "the SDLP left US". And he was cheered to the echo.
If SF are supposed to be feeble, what the f**k are the Stoopy's !!!!!! To use a paraphrase, getting attacked by the SDLP is like been attacked by a dead sheep !!!

Mickeymac

If SF are supposed to be feeble, what the f**k are the Stoopy's !!!!!! To use a paraphrase, getting attacked by the SDLP is like been attacked by a dead sheep !!!

Instead of attacking SF at every given opportunity they should back them, that way they just might hold on to the seats they have.

eskrimador

Surely opposition is what a party goes in to when it lost an election, tries to hold the winning party to account for the rest of that parliament and all with a hope of winning the next election?

What this is proposing is becoming a protest group with no influence.

IMHO, the SDLP, like myself, thought that 1998 meant that politics was going to move a new, more mature footing and the usual crap would become somewhat peripheral. Soon after, the electorate ran to the hills, the 2 extreme parties and this summer has proved beyond doubt that, save for less booms and bangs, 1998 may as well never have happened.

Of late, SF have shown themselves to be as republican (in any use of the term) as Giles Brandreth and it has been the SDLP that have been more aggressive n holding unionism and loyalism, as well as the state, to account. With the flag of '98 beng shown to have been a premature, if not totally false, flag, the SDLP should emphasise it's real republican bonafides to the casual electorate and show the self serving game that SF are playing.

FitzjamesHorse

Website
fitzjameshorselooksattheworld.wordpress.com
Twitter
FitzjamesHorse
The word "Republican" came up quite a few times at the SDLP Conference. So did the term "civil rights"
In a way, all of the big issues are related to "civil rights" and obviously Sinn Féin are not exactly at ease with that.
Id be the first to say that for a period of five or more years the SDLP was becoming marginalised, not least by itself...but the fact that it is getting flak from Sinn Féin and their letsgetalongerist allies is proof enough that they are relevant.

physicist

I think the use of Private Members bills and other Non-Executive arms offer any party a means of influence. There was a great emphasis on a greater use of those.

J

Johnny Boy

A lot of nationalists who deserted the SDLP in recent years would return to the fold if they saw that there was a bit of backbone left in the SDLP. Frankly as a supporter, I'm dismayed by the current leadership. Mc Donnell is a complete turn-off. The most recent FP vote I cast went to the Greens, btw, partly because of my dismay with the way the party has been run since Ritchie was elected.
Opposition is the way to go. Put a bit of obvious daylight between the two parties, again.