Donaghmede Wind Turbines

EvotingMachine0197

Wind Turbines

In September 2006, Ar_Arq_Ireland in association with sub-consultants Buro Happold Ltd conducted a feasibility study for the wind turbines on behalf of Dublin City Council. The study was part-funded (80%) by Sustainable Energy Ireland, with the remainder by Dublin City Council. The wind turbines were erected in February 2008. Now that the construction works are completed, the process of commissioning and monitoring of the turbines continues with energy generated being measured for different weather conditions over the next 12 months. As a result, in May 2010 real-time information will be provided on-line on the City Council’s website showing how much energy is generated as well as the Park’s contribution to annual CO2 savings for Dublin.

The turbines are estimated to save 320 tonnes of CO2 per annum. The turbines have a rotor diameter of 15 metres. The overall height of the turbine to blade tip is 32.5 metres.
http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/dccPressPacks/FrCollinsPark/Documents/Father_Collins_Opening_Final.doc

The park, Fr. Collins Park, is an excellent resource for the community providing cycling, waking, skate boarding etc. Although at a total cost of €20 Million it would want to be good.

Thing is, I rarely see the turbines in operation. Yesterday evening all five were stopped in spite of a steady breeze. No sign of the real time web info either.

Anyone know why ?[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

seanmacc

I drive past there regularly and i have only ever seen one turbine working once. They look more like decorations.

EvotingMachine0197

I drive past there regularly and i have only ever seen one turbine working once. They look more like decorations.
Yep, that's about all I've ever seen too.

Dublin City Council: A City That Works

Lord Mayor’s Commission on Employment

Title: “Dublin – A City that Works”

Date: Friday 23rd April 2010

Venue: Croke Park Conference Centre
A City that works. Eh, the turbines don't work ..

EvotingMachine0197

All five still stopped.

My phonecalls to DCC reveal that the windmills are in the process of being commisioned.

Me hole.

Another 20 Million.

Last edited:

EvotingMachine0197

Turns out the project was managed in some way by some crowd called MCO.

MCO developed out of a State owned company called Temple Bar Properties Ltd., or something along those lines.

That company was headed up initially by Paddy Teahon I think. Wasn't he once a Secretary General in the Taoiseach's Department ? :confused:

I wonder was there any other windmill or stadium projects where MCO failed to get the windmills to work ?

EUrJokingMeRight

No maintenance carried out since they were put up I'll bet.

H

The park, Fr. Collins Park, is an excellent resource for the community providing cycling, waking, skate boarding etc. Although at a total cost of €20 Million it would want to be good.

Thing is, I rarely see the turbines in operation. Yesterday evening all five were stopped in spite of a steady breeze. No sign of the real time web info either.

Anyone know why ?[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/quote]

Why are you surprised? Like all useless Greenwash projects they are a waste of money and only exist through the sleazy promotion of greenwash energy projects funded by stealth taxes that rip off the tax payer

EvotingMachine0197

Why are you surprised? Like all useless Greenwash projects they are a waste of money and only exist through the sleazy promotion of greenwash energy projects funded by stealth taxes that rip off the tax payer
I'm not surprised. Do I sound surprised ?

I'm just agitated ...

I suppose that makes me an agitator.

RootofStar

http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/dccPressPacks/FrCollinsPark/Documents/Father_Collins_Opening_Final.doc

Anyone know why ?[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

They look great :D

Ros

energy

So, January 27th 2011.

All five still stopped.
From Dublin City Council: Fr. Collins Park

DCC is currently completing construction of Ireland’s first sustainable city park in Donaghmede, north Dublin, which will be powered by wind.

The study was part-funded (80%) by Sustainable Energy Ireland, with the remainder by DCC. The study found that the 5-year (2001-2006) average wind speed on the site at 25 metres (tower) height was 6.59 meters per second. The 5-year average wind power density at that height was 335.37 Watts per m2. While this would be lower than desired for a commercial wind farm development, it was determined to be feasible sustainable energy supply to power a local park’s energy requirements. It is anticipated that 70-80% of the Park’s demand will be met on average (up to 100% at peak resource), and the available resource is considered to be fair to good.

Installation and maintenance costs for the five turbines are €1.16 million. The design life is 30 years.
So the taxpayer funded a study (once more) into wind power and financed the actual build. Yet anyone who drives past or flies into Dublin Airport can clearly see that these don't work. SEI are another quango which is out of control.

Maybe SirCharles can explain what went wrong.

cillian32

I do see them working at times ,usually windy days!!! lol sean kenny td has being saying some residents have been complaining about the noise at night and want them turned off over night.

energy

Only a matter of time before they are removed I would say: Dublin People - Wind turbine noise angers residents
Thanks for the link ... it goes on to say
The turbines were shut down for a considerable period last year after some maintenance problems and have only been operating as normal in the last couple of months.
So what happened to the SEI targets of 70-80% of demand being met by the wind turbines in this "sustainable" development ? It's a great example of the wishful thinking of green lobbyists colliding with the reality of delivering reliable and secure electricity supplies. I'm surprised that the Spirit of Ireland brigade haven't jumped in to recommend that the residents use their bath tubs as pumped storage units.

The taxpayer forked out €1.16 million and the units failed miserably within a couple of years - was there any performance guarantee from the vendor ?

This dreadful investment which was supported by a government quango needs to be investigated further.

Decadance

The big question is who will be liable for the noise and related health problems. Will it be the manufacturer of the turbines, the developer of the wind farm or the local authority who fail its residents with ineffective noise conditions?

energy

Interesting to note that the original turbine manufacturer "Entegrity" went bust Entegrity Wind Systems's CEO hopes to restart firm - Boulder Daily Camera

After a strong 2008, Entegrity was staffed to put out 125 machines in 2009, Heath said. However, citing delays in businesses receiving money from the federal stimulus program, the orders didn't come as projected, he said.

"I saw it as a valley, (the Canadian courts and lenders) saw it as a cliff," he said.

The delay in orders was compounded by the economic downturn and a manufacturing defect, Heath has said.

In January, Heath said, he discovered a "small, technical glitch" pop up involving the tolerance of the turbines and he shut the fleet down until repairs were made. The company's technicians started repairing the turbines, which are located across the United States and Canada, but the financial troubles limited Entegrity's ability to have them all repaired, according to Canadian news reports.

Handfuls of reports from publications in Canada and the United States noted under-performing Entegrity turbines or wind farms that have been shut down.
Crap technology combined with a downturn in subsidies finished off the company. This is a glimpse of what the "green economy" is all about.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies