• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dónal Óg Cusack - an outside view.

Pat Mc Larnon

The London Independent has run this article on the the decision by hurling star Dónal Óg to out himself as being gay.
A lot of the article tries to be subjective in the response of the Irish people to the announcement. The part about the person with the megaphone and the effects on his family attending matches can be quite chilling. However, I was caught by the line that in Ireland homosexuality is viewed as being linked with paedaphilia.

I. like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection. Is this just another one of these articles that deliberately takes a negative view of all things Irish? I was surprised to see such printed in the Independent.

Sync

It's there. I remember a conversation I had with a well educated, well off woman 2 years ago, who wasn't comfortable with gay teachers because she thought it vastly increased the chances of abuse. It's definitely a factor for some people.

Clanrickard

I. like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection. Is this just another one of these articles that deliberately takes a negative view of all things Irish? I was surprised to see such printed in the Independent.
Owned by the odious Tony O'Reilly (a.k.a. Sir Anthony) and his Schwarzenegger sounding son Gavin. Tony has to talk up the untermenschen here on the emerald isle to keep in with the nice people that matter in the social circles in London. A thoroughly reprehensible wretch.

TradCat

I have heard a few negative response to the the book. All of them had to do with an extract in the Echo in which Donal Og criticised the Kilkenny players for not offering more support to the GPA.

The feeling was that they concentrated on winning All-Irelands and he should have done the same. His private life is simply not an issue for most people. By going public he can only help people in the same position and their families and he deserves credit for his courage for that reason.

Chrisco

The London Independent has run this article on the the decision by hurling star Dónal Óg to out himself as being gay.
A lot of the article tries to be subjective in the response of the Irish people to the announcement. The part about the person with the megaphone and the effects on his family attending matches can be quite chilling. However, I was caught by the line that in Ireland homosexuality is viewed as being linked with paedaphilia.

I. like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection
You have clearly never read any of the threads relating to gay issues on here then...

willoughby

How many gay primary teachers can there be, surely not enough to have a conference, maybe a meeting alright.

DaveM

Pat, sadly the baseless link between homosexuality and paedaphilia referred to in the article is something I have heard quite a few times, including here on p.ie. It's sad but the fact that gay rights are not perceived to be a vote winning issues means that it's rarely and agenda topping issue and spurious rubbish like this spreads in a vacuum.

G

Gimpanzee

I must say that I have never heard people make this connection.
Reporter probably read a few threads here. In fairness to our loons it is prevalent in the general public too - 'all those of perverts are the same'. Would expect that it isn't uncommon in Britain either.

unicorn

". . . I was caught by the line that in Ireland homosexuality is viewed as being linked with paedaphilia.

I, like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection . . ."
You're right, that connection is not made by anyone I have ever discussed homosexual rights with.

In fact, it's sometimes thrown in by the gay lobby themselves to illustrate what they perceive as the 'ignorance' of those who express opposition to same-sex marriage. It's a red herring.

Mitsui

I'm amazed you never heard this stupid "link" referred to. It seems to raise its ill-informed head, either explicitly or implicitly, sooner or later on every applicable thread on p.ie, and I've commonly heard it elsewhere. I've never been able to figure out where it comes from, but it's obviously not from the rational part of the brain.

Limerick Lad

You're right, that connection is not made by anyone I have ever discussed homosexual rights with.

In fact, it's sometimes thrown in by the gay lobby themselves to illustrate what they perceive as the 'ignorance' of those who express opposition to same-sex marriage. It's a red herring.
While as you say no one may have expressed that opinion to you in a discussion on homosexual rights, it does seem to be an underlying theme in many of the threads on Politics.ie relating to homosexuality, gay rights, gay marriage, etc. with many opponents to any of these topics often resorting to linking homosexuality with paedophilia and don't seem to be able to separate the two in their minds.

Last edited:

pd_phoenix

How many gay primary teachers can there be, surely not enough to have a conference, maybe a meeting alright.
take a walk around Mary I and you will that there are plenty. They're even told not to disclose their sexuality as it could have a negative impact on them securing a job

willoughby

take a walk around Mary I and you will that there are plenty. They're even told not to disclose their sexuality as it could have a negative impact on them securing a job
Nothing wrong with it, Listening to a woman on P Kenny this morning and I suppose its mainly a thing of time. If they can teach, what difference.

pd_phoenix

Nothing wrong with it, Listening to a woman on P Kenny this morning and I suppose its mainly a thing of time. If they can teach, what difference.
oh I agree, some of my best friends are gay teachers I just think its madness that they shpould be told in college not to be truthful about it if they wish to be so. Its ironic as it seems to a career that attracts a high number of gay men.

Limerick Lad

Do they walk around Mary Immaculate with a tattoo on their foreheads announcing their sexuality, as a nearby resident I have never noticed any students who appeared to be obviously homosexual.
How were you able to tell? Is your gaydar particularly sensitive, allowing you to spot them from one hundred paces.

pd_phoenix

Do they walk around Mary Immaculate with a tattoo on their foreheads announcing their sexuality, as a nearby resident I have never noticed any students who appeared to be obviously homosexual.
How were you able to tell? Is your gaydar particularly sensitive, allowing you to spot them from one hundred paces.
I have fantastic gaydar! But a bit of inside knowledge helps as well the year I started out of all the lads doing primary school teaching just over half were gay

Limerick Lad

oh I agree, some of my best friends are gay teachers I just think its madness that they shpould be told in college not to be truthful about it if they wish to be so. Its ironic as it seems to a career that attracts a high number of gay men.
You really do love to make sweeping statements, apart from the obviously overused "some of my best friends are gay" Have you any statistics to show that Primary School teaching attracts a high number of gay men.