Donal Og Cusack Courting Sinn Féin ?

taurus

Cork hurler Donal Og Cusack gave a brilliant address at the An phoblacht summer school recently in which he denounced the establishment parties and quoted James Connolly. Is he set to become Sinn Féins first "celeb" candidate.?

bradán feasa

Yeh, Roc I think you should consider it.

Some of your economic views might be slightly to the right of the party at the moment but I actually think we need to be a broader church and have a broad debate within the party anyways. You're input would be an addition

TradCat

So that's where he stands. I think he'd be an outstanding candidate. We know what he's made of and it is sterling stuff.

Tony Soprano

Donal Og is nothing but a money-grabbing trouble-maker. He has some cheek quoting james connolly!
The Gaelic Players Association are only interested in the "elite" gaa players. They couldnt care less about the ordinary club players.

Donal Og is interested in only one thing----Donal og!!

TradCat

Tony

The vast majority of Cork people and Cork hurling people would not agree with you. Donal Og is a leader and a man of courage. He would be elected if he ran. Have no doubt about that.

cricket

I strongly disagreed with the players' strike in Cork but Donal og has shown himself to be a man of principle , and there's a good story on the front of yesterday's Evening Echo of a talk he gave to 500 students in Cork.
I'd say he doesn't have a hope of getting the SF nomination in Cork East , there's a SF councillor in Youghal with her name on that by all accounts.

Kerrygold

Disagree with the GPA on most things, but Donal Og would be an outstanding candidate for SF. And I don't think he's entirely agaisnt the idea. Perhaps not at the next election, but the one after that, when his hurling career is over.

Highking

He'd get transfers from everywhere to be fair. I'm far from a Sinn Féin supporter, but I'd probably give him my 3rd.

Tony Soprano

Tony

The vast majority of Cork people and Cork hurling people would not agree with you. Donal Og is a leader and a man of courage. He would be elected if he ran. Have no doubt about that.
The last thing we need to start doing in this country is electing people because they are good hurlers or footballers!!
Thats the type of gombeensim that has us in this mess today!!

I want people that know and understand economics!!!

sandar

Donal is a gentleman and the GPA benfits the top players very little, they have their names made and want for nothing from county boards its the players in lower profile teams that need the GPA

sandar

The last thing we need to start doing in this country is electing people because they are good hurlers or footballers!!

you do make a valid point here.
Celeb candidates and GAA candidates are what has the country in the mess it is, Donal is howveer a man who on social policy may have a contribution to make.

And to call anyone who plays a sport for free which entertains millions is a nonsense

Kerrygold

Yes, because economists are NEVER wrong!

I'd normally agree with your first point, but I think its clear that Donal Og is a man of some character and has a social conscience.

disgruntledcitizen

true, though would it be much worse than all the teachers and county solicitors or even accounts clerks (without a bank account) we've elected before ?

we need competent leaders regardless of whether they are GAA players, rugby players or even soccerists

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies