Donald Trump lavishes praise on the Irish economy.

Wascurito

Well, it's official; we have a major fan living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Donald Trump has expressed huge admiration for the Irish economy and for the policies of various governments.

In an interview with The Economist magazine, he said that Ireland had done an "amazing job" with the economy. Speaking about the recent economic crisis he said that one would have thought that taxes would have been "doubled and tripled" but "[t]hey never raised it (sic) a penny. And they got through it and they are thriving now. Ireland's done an amazing job. A lot of companies have moved to Ireland and they like it"

"And I give the Irish a lot, a lot of credit."

There's more on the interview here:
RTÉ News: Trump says Ireland has done 'amazing job' on economy

President Bartlet

Funny how the Irish people don't see it like that - FG and Lab were walloped in the last election - and the people are still very angry.

Wascurito

Funny how the Irish people don't see it like that - FG and Lab were walloped in the last election - and the people are still very angry.
We're notoriously bad at taking compliments.

Anyway, I think Labour overplayed their hand going into the 2011 election and promised the sun, moon and stars to all and sundry. They were never going to be able to deliver on a quarter of it and hence, there was a backlash.

mr_anderson

Because too few of 'the people' benefit.
Apple et al pay little to no tax, hence it's the ordinary working punter who has to bail everyone else out.

There's a reason the average voter is pi$$ed off.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
And Mr Corporate President would be bound to admire the Irish government seeing as it is entirely captured by the corporate world.

It is effectively a client government in the same way as the US government is a client of the US corporates.

Why wouldn't Trump see it as the way to go?

Gwannow

Of course he's praising us. We love to bail out filthy rich investors.

Spanner Island

Well, it's official; we have a major fan living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Donald Trump has expressed huge admiration for the Irish economy and for the policies of various governments.

In an interview with The Economist magazine, he said that Ireland had done an "amazing job" with the economy. Speaking about the recent economic crisis he said that one would have thought that taxes would have been "doubled and tripled" but "[t]hey never raised it (sic) a penny. And they got through it and they are thriving now. Ireland's done an amazing job. A lot of companies have moved to Ireland and they like it"

Seriously?

Jaysus... have you not learned yet?

Are you that naive?

Trump was lavishing praise all over Comey when he re-opened the investigation into Hillary's emails...

Praise from Trump is like the kiss of death... and is not something to take any level of satisfaction from... imo

If he's praising you he's gonna target you.

Spanner Island

Because too few of 'the people' benefit.
Apple et al pay little to no tax, hence it's the ordinary working punter who has to bail everyone else out.

There's a reason the average voter is pi$$ed off.
I'd abolish corporation tax altogether given the chance.

Plus comparing Apple to what the banks inflicted on us courtesy of the eFFing traitors really isn't a good comparison...

Wascurito

Seriously?

Jaysus... have you not learned yet?

Are you that naive?

Trump was lavishing praise all over Comey when he re-opened the investigation into Hillary's emails...

Praise from Trump is like the kiss of death... and is not something to take any level of satisfaction from... imo

If he's praising you he's gonna target you.
:lol:

Put the sherry to one side, go to Google and type in "trump praises". In the response, you will find a list of people and entities that Trump has praised over the last few months that he hasn't "targeted".

Jack O Neill

Plus comparing Apple to what the banks inflicted on us courtesy of the eFFing traitors really isn't a good comparison...
Theft is theft , but of course the apples are here for OUR benefit , right ?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

We effectively abolished corporation tax years ago. The official rate of 12.5% is only published to give the impression corporations pay any at all.

Any they do pay gets clawed back.

Jack Walsh

Of course he does.
Any system that wipes out the debts of mega wealthy speculators after they have dumped billions on taxpayers and allows them off on their merry way to do it all again (in Trump's case five times over) will be praised by the fool.
MIGA

eoghanacht

Better to be criticized by a wise person than to be praised by a fool.

Volatire

That is humbling.

Thank you, President Trump.

Deadlock

I feel a cold skeletal (small) hand emerge from the crypt and reach our way .....

Sweet Darling

We effectively abolished corporation tax years ago. The official rate of 12.5% is only published to give the impression corporations pay any at all.

Any they do pay gets clawed back.
Who cares as long as families are getting a good living from there presents here.

Catalpast

I love you Folks...:cool:

And I hate to do this to you

- but those jobs are coming back Home to the good ol USA.....:cool:

You did Great Job seriously Folks a Great Job....

In appreciation of all you have done for Corporate America I am going to gift the Irish People out of my own pocket

- and donate Doolin to the Irish State...

Oh and I will pay you all a visit in advance of my 2020 Presidential run ...:cool:

Suck it up Snowflakes:cool:

mr_anderson

Not comparing them.
But then again, if Apple goes bust, we won't be called on to bail them out.

Wascurito

Of course he does.
Any system that wipes out the debts of mega wealthy speculators after they have dumped billions on taxpayers and allows them off on their merry way to do it all again (in Trump's case five times over) will be praised by the fool.
MIGA
I'd say he hasn't the faintest notion of the details of the bailout seven years ago. Anyway, the motivation doesn't matter: it's the substance of what he said which is wholly positive. Would you rather that he were lambasting us on Twitter?

New Threads

Most Replies