Donegal bye-election result should remain valid for next Dail.

The Field Marshal

Here we are now the country on a knife edge economically with a general election virtually certain within the next 3 months.

Does it make any sense at all to re run an election in Donegal since the voters of that constituency will make their choice shortly?

It would save considerable costs to everybody should whatever result comes from this bye-election be agreed as valid for the new Dail that will be elected soon.

Perhaps legislation should be passed that where a bye election occurs within 6 months of the dissolution of the Dail the results of that election would carry over .

I would welcome views on this cost saving proposal.

Congalltee

Here we are now the country on a knife edge economically with a general election virtually certain within the next 3 months.

Does it make any sense at all to re run an election in Donegal since the voters of that constituency will make their choice shortly?

It would save considerable costs to everybody should whatever result comes from this bye-election be agreed as valid for the new Dail that will be elected soon.

Perhaps legislation should be passed that where a bye election occurs within 6 months of the dissolution of the Dail the results of that election would carry over .

yeah...and like..wu evr cums like 2nd and turd should get the other tu seets
:roll::mad::confused:

Richard Roma

So Pearse Doherty should be the only TD for the constituency in the next dail? Or are you implying Mary Coughlan should keep her seat and not face an election?

corelli

yeah...and like..wu evr cums like 2nd and turd should get the other tu seets
:roll::mad::confused:
It's a reasonable suggestion, but unconstitutional. Thursdays vote will elect a member for the present Dail. Once the President devolves the present Dail for a general election, that election will produce a new Dail, completely.

Cato

Are you planning on squeezing in a constitutional referendum before the general election?

The real solution should be that in the event of a seat becoming vacant, it goes to the last person eliminated in the previous general election and not have this ridiculous situation that the government can simply deny the people the representation they are entitled to (and it would save money).

Chrisco

It's a reasonable suggestion, but unconstitutional. Thursdays vote will elect a member for the present Dail. Once the President devolves the present Dail for a general election, that election will produce a new Dail, completely.
Corelli, I am surprised at you!

It is a ridiculous idea. There will be a different slate of candidates up for election for the other two seats when the election comes.

So we just say that Thursday's winner and the Ceann Comhairle get returned automatically DonSW elects only two TDs?

Ridiculous.

Richard Roma

Are you planning on squeezing in a constitutional referendum before the general election?

The real solution should be that in the event of a seat becoming vacant, it goes to the last person eliminated in the previous general election and not have this ridiculous situation that the government can simply deny the people the representation they are entitled to (and it would save money).
Is it not better to fix limits on when it has to be held, rather than imposing a candidate on an electorate that they're no longer keen on? Imagine through some bizarre turn of events that Mary Coughlan was in fourth place in the last election and would presumably be the replacement candidate under this scenario, nobody deserves that.....

adrem

Does that not get messy with multiple simultaneous eliminations (you have to love our system !!)

Maybe the best solution would be to adopt the local govt model and allow the co-opt approach. Maintains representation, maintains status quo too though - a lot cheaper than the bye-election model !!

Congalltee

It's a reasonable suggestion, but unconstitutional. ..

It's always the same old excuse. We can't just lock up the bankers because of the Constitution. We can't break contracts with multinational oil companies because the Government signed contracts. We can't charge Brian Cowen with Economic Treason retrospectively.* Now we can't even save a few quid, by making the by-election decision count for an indefinite period, pending the completion of an election under the Acts and Constitution. Damn you and your Constitution, legislation and the Rule of Law.

*insert crazy un-researched notion as it occurs.

Cato

Is it not better to fix limits on when it has to be held, rather than imposing a candidate on an electorate that they're no longer keen on? Imagine through some bizarre turn of events that Mary Coughlan was in fourth place in the last election and would presumably be the replacement candidate under this scenario, nobody deserves that.....
That's what the Irish Secret Service is for... click... click...

Cato

Does that not get messy with multiple simultaneous eliminations (you have to love our system !!)

Maybe the best solution would be to adopt the local govt model and allow the co-opt approach. Maintains representation, maintains status quo too though - a lot cheaper than the bye-election model !!
Or when someone is running for election have them nominate a few replacements. There are a few options.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
They should keep Yorkies in the cool cabinet. They're always a bit too soft.
And you know when you're in a canteen and you ask for chips and they give you the last few and they're not hot and you get all the little hard ones? And then they re-fill them and the person behind you gets the first lot out of the new batch? I hate that.

And don't get me started on predictive text.

Cato

They should keep Yorkies in the cool cabinet. They're always a bit too soft.
And you know when you're in a canteen and you ask for chips and they give you the last few and they're not hot and you get all the little hard ones? And then they re-fill them and the person behind you gets the first lot out of the new batch? I hate that.

And don't get me started on predictive text.
Considering that you can bi-locate (or else spend your time with a foot in each jurisdiction) I thought that predictive text would be no bother to you...

corelli

Corelli, I am surprised at you!

It is a ridiculous idea. There will be a different slate of candidates up for election for the other two seats when the election comes.

So we just say that Thursday's winner and the Ceann Comhairle get returned automatically DonSW elects only two TDs?

Ridiculous.
It's not that ridiculous really. They return three. Just not at the exact same time. I can see the drawback in terms of preference votes etc, but it would save wads of cash.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Considering that you can bi-locate (or else spend your time with a foot in each jurisdiction) I thought that predictive text would be no bother to you...
I have no problem with it per se, it's just that it's not smart enough.
When I key in 287, I mean bus, not cup. It should learn that after the first 1,000 times.
And yes I do spend a (very short) time twice each day with part of my body in each jurisdiction.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
It's not that ridiculous really. They return three. Just not at the exact same time. I can see the drawback in terms of preference votes etc, but it would save wads of cash.
How would it save cash? They will still have to run the election for the other 2 seats.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies