Donegal: call the next GE results

the secretary

Disagree
1FG
2 SF
1FF
1IND
Which FF TD wont be returned in your opinion?
After all, both FF and FG out polled SF in the local elections.

MOSS1

This is probably no change. Padraig MacLochlainn was arguably one of SF's better performers in the last Dail but he has the disadvantage of being from the same area as Charlie McConalogue. I know Inishowen returned two seats in the old 3 seater in 2011 but I think that election was a bit of an outlier with some of the geographic certainties being undone in a number of constituencies. McConalogue got the nod as the sole FF candidate when Niall Blaney withdrew and cobbled together enough party votes from across the county. In a more normal election he wouldn't have got this lucky break and may have struggled. Since then he's really strengthened his position.

There's Joe McHugh across the way in Carrigart then. Donegal has been problematic for FG over the past 20 years and on a very bad day for the party it's not inconceivable they could miss out on a seat there. However they should be fine this time.

Thomas Pringle did very well to hold on the last time with parts of his heartlands going to Sligo/Leitrim. They're back this time and of all places you'd have to expect surely that Donegal would be prone to electing an anti-establishment independent.

FF have long been strong in Donegal and the 2011 election looks a blip. Even in 2014 and in the build-up to the General Election it was clear they were clearly ahead of SF but it was only when that TG4 poll was released a few weeks beforehand that people realised they were on for two seats. All the talk before that was of SF challenging for a third seat! Pat the Cope and Pearse Doherty will divide much of the old SW between them.

Maybe a bit unusual that there is no Letterkenny seat here but that doesn't look like changing.

midlander12

Donegal:-

LE votes approx FF 30%; FG 20%; SF 20%; Oths 20%.

Obviously the main issue here is whether SF can regain their 2nd seat. On the basis of their LE performance, not a hope, but if they can fight a good campaign unlike the last time (when they disastrously ran a 3rd candidate) they could do it. FF won 2 seats last time with 31% so they should easily retain 2. FG will obviously only take 1. Both Casey and Pringle will be chasing opposite ends of the Indo vote. Pringle squeezed in 200 votes ahead of Padraig MacLochlann last time. Logically, one but not both of them will be returned. We cannot rule Casey out either though I am not convinced he will actually be elected.

No one knows what is going to happen here. On balance, FF 2, FG 1, SF 1, Oths 1 (probably Pringle rather than Casey).

old boy

I'm rethinking my #GE20 in Donegal. I'm hearing of massive turmoil in FG. Its a fallout from locals in May 19.
Possible political scandal on the radar. Joe McHugh is not a happy man. Meetings held in last week had almost non attendance, most of FG organisation in Letterkenny and in McHugh back garden in Carrigart have left the party.
So its 2SF 2FF and a dog fight for the last.

the secretary

Cllr John O'Donnell of Primetime fame has confirmed that he will be running in for the Dail.
Posters going up this evening.

Election 2020: John O’Donnell confirms candidacy – Donegal Daily

Last edited:

old boy

Cllr John O'Donnell or Primetime fame has confirmed that he will be running in for the Dail.
Posters going up this evening.

Election 2020: John O’Donnell confirms candidacy – Donegal Daily
CLLR Michael Mc Clafferty FG has resigned from the party tonight. In a statement to Tribune paper in Donegal he cites party head office in Letterkenny and Minister McHugh as the cause of his decision to leave.
This is a massive blow to Mc Hugh with division throughout the county. Also John O Donnell will impact heavily on McHughs vote in Downings Carrigart Letterkenny. Game on.

the secretary

CLLR Michael Mc Clafferty FG has resigned from the party tonight. In a statement to Tribune paper in Donegal he cites party head office in Letterkenny and Minister McHugh as the cause of his decision to leave.
This is a massive blow to Mc Hugh with division throughout the county. Also John O Donnell will impact heavily on McHughs vote in Downings Carrigart Letterkenny. Game on.
Martin Harley might outpoll Joe!
Really interesting, why was this? FG down to 4 Cllrs on the CoCo now.
I know some L/kenny town FG members quite well and they are scathing about Joe's actions around the time of the local elections.

Last edited:

old boy

Martin Harley might outpoll Joe!
Really interesting, why was this? FG down to 4 Cllrs on the CoCo now.
I know some L/kenny town FG members quite well and they are scathing about Joe's actions around the time of the local elections.
I honestly now think FG are in meltdown in Donegal. Listening to Highland Radio this am 're a spin press release 're investment in St Joseph's hosp it's been portrayed as Minister McHugh and HSE joint spin.
Harley or McHugh might not get elected unless McHugh can reverse all the negativity.

the secretary

Casey has entered the race here too. I reckon he wont fearure as much asthe political journalists think.
The only way he nakecan impact is if something controversial arises again that captures the headlines.

old boy

Casey has entered the race here too. I reckon he wont fearure as much asthe political journalists think.
The only way he nakecan impact is if something controversial arises again that captures the headlines.
I think John O Donnell will out poll Casey

Strawberry

Casey is a waste of time on the ballot. His 15 minutes were up long ago.

Lord Talbot

According to today's papers Casey is planning to run in Varadkar's constituency, so we won't have to worry about him in Donegal.
Interesting.. not really sure how he'd do in Dublin.. West? Mid West? West something.. its all a bit of a blur out there tbh.

the secretary

I tend to agree. Donegal has enough lunatics to choose from already.
Yes but we are spared the embarrassing tag of having the likes of Brid Smith, Geno Kenny, Joan Collins or Coppinger in Donegal, thanks be to God.

the secretary

According to today's papers Casey is planning to run in Varadkar's constituency, so we won't have to worry about him in Donegal.
Good riddance.

Lord Talbot

Yes but we are spared the embarrassing tag of having the likes of Brid Smith, Geno Kenny, Joan Collins or Coppinger in Donegal, thanks be to God.
Donegal is embarrassing enough with the mad fruitcakes etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies