Donegal Poll-toppers (Map)

Casualbets

These are the Poll-toppers in Donegal.

Basically voters stuck to the divils they knew in the old North-East and South-West constituencies - the exception being Pearse Doherty who took over 3,000 votes in the old North-East which led to the imbalance that cost Padraig McLochlainn his seat.

You can see more maps at www.facebook.com/tallyriffic.maps

pandora

Basically voters stuck to the divils they knew in the old North-East and South-West constituencies - the exception being Pearse Doherty who took over 3,000 votes in the old North-East which led to the imbalance that cost Padraig McLochlainn his seat.
It is even more localised than a split between the two old constituencies, with voters strongly favouring their local man, especially in the case of the independents (Shiels, McBrearty and McGarvey). I wonder was this a 'genuine' support or a case of knowing they wouldn't be elected so giving them a no 1 and then their no 2 to the person they wanted to see get in.

It does show up the poor vote management of SF, which I still think was a bigger factor in the loss of a seat than the 3 candidate strategy.

Congalltee

I think I'm colour blind, or Charlie McConalogue took an awful lot of votes in comparison with Pat the cope.

edwin

It is even more localised than a split between the two old constituencies, with voters strongly favouring their local man, especially in the case of the independents (Shiels, McBrearty and McGarvey). I wonder was this a 'genuine' support or a case of knowing they wouldn't be elected so giving them a no 1 and then their no 2 to the person they wanted to see get in.

It does show up the poor vote management of SF, which I still think was a bigger factor in the loss of a seat than the 3 candidate strategy.
In fairness to SF, nobody thought MacLochlainn was so weak. This clearly contributed to Pearse pulling so many SF votes in the old North East. Maybe Mac Lochlainn will have reconsider the emphasis on some of his views which are pretty out of step with a lot of his constituents.

Dame_Enda

Any word on how the vote broke down along religious lines? You used to have that info in previous elections.

Edit: I see you are Casualbets.

Inishowen and Fanad strongly FF, as usual. I would have expected SF to do better there, topped the poll in at least one or two electoral districts.

Noticed on the Fbook page the part of north Sligo my old fellow was from went against FF in terms of first preferences (where normally they would do well) - an independent councillor from Streedagh and a PBP candidate. Wouldn't have expected that in the past. But then there were hundreds of people queueing for hours in the rain waiting to see Dad on his final journey, most of whom were saying they would never vote FF again. Just an idea as to a possible reason that north Sligo is much more diverse in terms of the types of candidates topping the poll.

edwin

I think I'm colour blind, or Charlie McConalogue took an awful lot of votes in comparison with Pat the cope.
He did indeed. As he did with Pearse Doherty and especially Padraig MacLochlainn. Pringle owes him his seat for tanking MacLochlainn so badly.

old boy

All politicans elected in donegal other than Mc Conalogue are brain dead useless. They have no national party profile are ineffective and definitely do nothing for the county.

Ex celt

All politicans elected in donegal other than Mc Conalogue are brain dead useless. They have no national party profile are ineffective and definitely do nothing for the county.
What about the inarticulate Peers O'Dogartee?

Casualbets

Maybe in the case of the McBrearty and McGarvey (who I think is 86 - some man for one man). Perhaps in the case of McBrearty they were concerned about being lumped in with the rest of the b*****ds ;)

However Shiels on the other hand was regarded as a player before the election...

Casualbets

If they had instructed Gary O'Doherty's voters to go #2 MacLochlainn, #3 Pearse Doherty they may well have held the seat. And it seems that MacLochlainn just isn't very popular - Pearse Doherty outpolled him in Letterkenny EA, and took over a thousand votes in Inishowen.

Casualbets

Charlie got 12,500 votes, Pat just over 10,000. I suppose Pearse Doherty was a stronger contender for top poller in South Donegal than Maclochlainn was in North Donegal?

edwin

Charlie got 12,500 votes, Pat just over 10,000. I suppose Pearse Doherty was a stronger contender for top poller in South Donegal than Maclochlainn was in North Donegal?
There is also a higher proportion of the population in the old North East. Partly due to part of south Donegal being out of the constituency but also long term demographic patterns.

Casualbets

Any word on how the vote broke down along religious lines? You used to have that info in previous elections.

Edit: I see you are Casualbets.
Areas <10% Protestant (57% of voters) FF 38% SF 29% Inds 20% FG 13%
Areas 10-20% Protestant (30% of voters) IND 31% SF 26% FF 24% FG 18%
Areas >20% Protestant (13% of voters) IND 32% SF 26% FF 22% FG 19%

The main concentrations of Protestant population are around Ramelton/Kilmacrenan, Dunfanaghy, and Raphoe/Convoy/Milltown and in the south Dunkineelly. That would explain the higher votes for Independents - McGarvey in Ramelton, McBrearty in Raphoe, Pringle in Dunkineely. The FF candidates were based in areas with low numbers of Protestants (West Donegal, Inishowen) which would account for that disparity. Both FG candidates did better in Areas >20% Protestant but you can't say it's a particularly strong association...

the secretary

If they had instructed Gary O'Doherty's voters to go #2 MacLochlainn, #3 Pearse Doherty they may well have held the seat. And it seems that MacLochlainn just isn't very popular - Pearse Doherty outpolled him in Letterkenny EA, and took over a thousand votes in Inishowen.
Gary Doherty had canvassers in the rural parts of the constituency around letterkenny. Pearse Doherty also had canvassers on the ground outside Letterkenny too. This was clearly marked as Mac Lochlainn territory by the posters.I wonder did some in SF want Padraig replaced with Gary Doherty?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom