Donegal Poll-toppers (Map)

edwin

Gary Doherty had canvassers in the rural parts of the constituency around letterkenny. Pearse Doherty also had canvassers on the ground outside Letterkenny too. This was clearly marked as Mac Lochlainn territory by the posters.I wonder did some in SF want Padraig replaced with Gary Doherty?
Gary Doherty canvassing there could be consistent with a 3 seat strategy as he needed a lot more than Stranorlar EA. Pearse though makes sense.

edwin

Gary Doherty canvassing there could be consistent with a 3 seat strategy as he needed a lot more than Stranorlar EA. Pearse though makes sense.
Meant to say Pearse canvassing there makes no sense. Unless maybe he got wind Cope was soundly beating him and didn't want to take any chances.

Casualbets

Gary Doherty had canvassers in the rural parts of the constituency around letterkenny. Pearse Doherty also had canvassers on the ground outside Letterkenny too. This was clearly marked as Mac Lochlainn territory by the posters.I wonder did some in SF want Padraig replaced with Gary Doherty?
Dunno. But certainly the command seems to have been Doherty G #1 Doherty P #2 MacLochlainn #3

pandora

In fairness to SF, nobody thought MacLochlainn was so weak. This clearly contributed to Pearse pulling so many SF votes in the old North East. Maybe Mac Lochlainn will have reconsider the emphasis on some of his views which are pretty out of step with a lot of his constituents.
The TG4 poll predicted MacLaughlin's weakness at an early stage and SF have admitted that their own polls said the same. What they haven't explained is why they didn't act on that information.
I agree that his views may be a problem but they are all official SF policy so that isn't a reason to opt for Doherty instead.

the secretary

The TG4 poll predicted MacLaughlin's weakness at an early stage and SF have admitted that their own polls said the same. What they haven't explained is why they didn't act on that information.
I agree that his views may be a problem but they are all official SF policy so that isn't a reason to opt for Doherty instead.
The Tribune poll showed the same. If SF are privately admitting that their polls were showing the same then why the hell didn't they act? Did they want rid of him? I'm not complaining but again they have no one to blame only themselves.

edwin

The Tribune poll showed the same. If SF are privately admitting that their polls were showing the same then why the hell didn't they act? Did they want rid of him? I'm not complaining but again they have no one to blame only themselves.
I agree that's very puzzling. If they knew he was weak then why not change the strategy? We'd been told by every SFer around that they were polling over 40% so when did this 'collapse' occur?

pandora

I agree that's very puzzling. If they knew he was weak then why not change the strategy? We'd been told by every SFer around that they were polling over 40% so when did this 'collapse' occur?
You don't have to believe everything you are told. I can't understand either why they didn't act. It may have been a case of believing their own propaganda.

Fullforward

Nemesiscorporation

Mc Conalogue, Mc Breaty, Cope, Jackson and Shiels picked up the No vote from the previous referendum, which they got out in force.

As for SF, they made a dogs breakfast of it. Gary Doherty was never going to get elected, he just wanted his name in the paper. SF also need to take a hard look at the people they had canvassing for them in East Donegal.

Nemesiscorporation

Seems the question there is what is the real situation around Gary Doherty and running. I don't get the thinking at all.

the secretary

Seems the question there is what is the real situation around Gary Doherty and running. I don't get the thinking at all.
Pearse's ego might be the answer to that question.

Bertie's Hat

Will McLochlainn get the seat next time?

I would think so and that Pringle is vulnerable

Jackson could do well on a pro life platform

Shiels not high profile enough outside LK

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

the secretary

Will McLochlainn get the seat next time?

I would think so and that Pringle is vulnerable

Jackson could do well on a pro life platform

Shiels not high profile enough outside LK

No 1.
Likely. They will do everything they can to resurrect his career.
No 2.
He is very vulnerable. But he suprised everyone last time.
No 3.
Jackson didn't come close last time. He won't even run this time I would say.
No 4.
Correct. Only got 25 fpv in the Donegal electoral area last time.

Analyzer

These are the Poll-toppers in Donegal.

Basically voters stuck to the divils they knew in the old North-East and South-West constituencies - the exception being Pearse Doherty who took over 3,000 votes in the old North-East which led to the imbalance that cost Padraig McLochlainn his seat.

You can see more maps at www.facebook.com/tallyriffic.maps

Padraig MacLochlainn was SF justice spokesperson in the last Dail.

He failed in his job of questionning the underperformance of both Shattered and Frannie Fitz.

In fact Worzel beat him to it, repeatedly.

PML got the people's judgement on the matter. And the people were correct.

Bertie's Hat

No 1.
Likely. They will do everything they can to resurrect his career.
No 2.
He is very vulnerable. But he suprised everyone last time.
No 3.
Jackson didn't come close last time. He won't even run this time I would say.
No 4.
Correct. Only got 25 fpv in the Donegal electoral area last time.
Agree except for Jackson, I believe he came in 7th behind McLochlainn in the end, and has kept his profile high in the community

DJP

Sinn Féin wouldn't be as big in Donegal if Brian Cowen and co. hadn't have postponed the last bye-election in Donegal South-West several years ago for so long. They actually thought I think that they were doing us a favour. Eh people don't like to be underrepresented at national level lads. :roll:

Bertie's Hat

Sinn Féin wouldn't be as big in Donegal if Brian Cowen and co. hadn't have postponed the last bye-election in Donegal South-West several years ago for so long. They actually thought I think that they were doing us a favour. Eh people don't like to be underrepresented at national level lads. :roll:
Just looking back at those by election results

https://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007B&cons=74

Brian O Domhnaill, what a waste of political space. Remember him wanting to get his expense case heard in Irish at further taxpayer expense. I see he is still a senator, what has he ever contributed to Donegal or elsewhere.

Great show by Ann Sweeney getting 139 votes despite withdrawing. Remember getting some crazy election literature from her.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom