Donegal South West by-election to be held on Thursday 25th November

stripey cat

Nice move. A Thursday Poll will limit the number of people who work away from home making it back to vote.

willoughby

On it's own,

Well I suppose it wouldnt make sense for the goverment to have 3 on the one day especially so close to the Budget....

ManfredJudge

So Donegal SW will have a new TD but Waterford and Dublin South will not. Because their worth it?;)

wee slabber

I hope the students organise themselves to travel home that day to vote. The govt have chosen a Thursday in order disenfranchise the students.

Conchubhairb

Am getting the impression the opposition are de facto happy to leave the GE to Q1 next year and let the Government carry the budget - there appears to be token protest this morning, but no serious firepower either on Morn Ire or in the Chamber.

kendalo

It is clear that the government will lose all 4 bye elections when they are held which will end this governments term of office. So therefore all bye elections will be held by spring next year which will ultimately spark a general election

Rocky

Nice move. A Thursday Poll will limit the number of people who work away from home making it back to vote.
That it will and that's why it's on a Thursday. The government don't want students in particular to be able to vote.

Future

Slightly off the point but does anyone know how much it costs the State to hod a by election? Also are candidates entited to a reimbursement of expenses if a certain number of votes are required like in a GE?

I'd imagine that its not cheap.

Fenian Óg

I'm looking forward to rounding up as many people as I can from my Cumann in Cork and making for Donegal for a few days, first thing on the agenda next week!

myksav

And Kenny wanted a six month wait.

wee slabber

I hope the Shinners organise free buses to bring the students home. It would be a clever move if they do.

Conchubhairb

Am getting the impression the opposition are de facto happy to leave the GE to Q1 next year and let the Government carry the budget - there appears to be token protest this morning, but no serious firepower either on Morn Ire or in the Chamber.

New Threads