• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Donegal South-West hotting up

SFInbhear

Ocean FM Independents declare by-election intentions

I see both Cllr Thomas Pringle and Tom Conaghan have announced their intention to stand in the upcoming bye-election. Pringle is a very popular Councillor who should poll well. He will pick up a strong local vote in the Donegal Electoral Area, especially between Dunkineely and Glencolmcille. Conaghan will do well in his own area around Donegal Town but he wont be strong enough to make an impact. He will also pick up stray Fianna Fail votes as the average thicko will think by voting for a soft Fianna Fail Independant they are voting for change!!! I hear he is giving out about Donegal being forgotten about. I hear this alot from FFers in Donegal. One question for them is why did they not do something about it within their own party? Why didn't they make noise about this when their was a boom and Donegal was still lagging behind.
With these candidates declaring their interests and Sinn Fein, Labour and Fine Gael holding their conventions soon the government will be pressurised into declaring the date.

DCon

Ocean FM Independents declare by-election intentions

I see both Cllr Thomas Pringle and Tom Conaghan have announced their intention to stand in the upcoming bye-election. Pringle is a very popular Councillor who should poll well. He will pick up a strong local vote in the Donegal Electoral Area, especially between Dunkineely and Glencolmcille. Conaghan will do well in his own area around Donegal Town but he wont be strong enough to make an impact. He will also pick up stray Fianna Fail votes as the average thicko will think by voting for a soft Fianna Fail Independant they are voting for change!!! I hear he is giving out about Donegal being forgotten about. I hear this alot from FFers in Donegal. One question for them is why did they not do something about it within their own party? Why didn't they make noise about this when their was a boom and Donegal was still lagging behind.
With these candidates declaring their interests and Sinn Fein, Labour and Fine Gael holding their conventions soon the government will be pressurised into declaring the date.
FF will try to delay the by-election until 2012.

SFInbhear

FF will try to delay the by-election until 2012
I don't think they will be able to pull of a stunt like that. But they might and the fact they are the only party who haven't announced their date to hold a convention points to such a stroke, or else Headquartars will once again be dictating to the grassroots.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I'm calling it for FG.
Surely the election will be in the next 6 months.

Reasons:
(1) Most unpopular government since neolithic times
(2) They have a good candidate don't they? Someone off RTE who did well in the locals or some such
(3) Joe McHugh's coattails. I expect him to be one of the top 10 vote getters in the next general election.

And BTW I'm not a FG supporter.

old westie

I don't think they will be able to pull of a stunt like that. But they might and the fact they are the only party who haven't announced their date to hold a convention points to such a stroke, or else Headquartars will once again be dictating to the grassroots.
I was at a function in Dublin last week and alot of the talk wes that from june '10 pat the joke has his eu pension time punched and that he will be the FF canditate. That what i call a stunt.

DCon

They will delay it this year, and then next year they will say, sure there is a general election in 2012 anyway. Lets have it then.

meriwether

I'm calling it for FG.

Reasons:
(2) They have a good candidate don't they? Someone off RTE who did well in the locals or some such
(3) Joe McHugh's coattails. I expect him to be one of the top 10 vote getters in the next general election.

Did he or did he not do well in the locals?

There is no some such about it. Either he did, or he didn't.

old westie

Where is the slowey person who contested the last convention, why is he not contesting.

SFInbhear

I'm calling it for FG.

Reasons:

Fine Gael will be in with a good shout. However I don't think they are strong enough to take the seat. In the last General Election, they only polled around 9,000 no.1s with a one candidate strategy. It would be accurate to say that most of McGinley's vote is personal, especially in the West of Donegal. However if O'Neill is the candidate he will poll well on the back of his council showing and cancer services campaigning and will be transfer friendly considering their are Independant candidates in his electoral area so he should pick up a few of these. This could make up for votes lost from McGinley who should go to Doherty. Slowey has been mentioned but would be a non-runner. Harley has also been mentioned and would do well in the Stranorler EA but giving the circumstances at this moment for reasons mentioned above, O'Neill is their best option. I think the final three will be the FF candidate, O' Neill and Doherty in no particular order. If the FF candidate is ahead, either Doherty and O'Neill will put the other in, as long as the dinosaurs in FG keep their mouths shut about transferring to Sinn Fein.

old westie

I'm calling it for FG.

Reasons:

Elaborate on your reasons as to why mc hugh will be a big vote getter

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Elaborate on your reasons as to why mc hugh will be a big vote getter
(1) Topped the poll by a margin of 2000 in '07.
(2) He's all over the place. No public meeting is complete without him. I'm beginning to suspect he's capable of bilocation.
(3) Good public image. Nice guy, nice wife. They sent me a xmas card, so they must have sent about 200 Kg of them. That kind of thing goes down well in these parts.
(4) Self-styled progressive minded people have buggger all else to vote for in this neck of the woods.

SFInbhear

1) Topped the poll by a margin of 2000 in '07.
(2) He's all over the place. No public meeting is complete without him. I'm beginning to suspect he's capable of bilocation.
(3) Good public image. Nice guy, nice wife. They sent me a xmas card, so they must have sent about 200 Kg of them. That kind of thing goes down well in these parts.
(4) Self-styled progressive minded people have buggger all else to vote for in this neck of the woods.
McHugh is a succesful politician no boubt about it. But I feel they should have picked someone from the constituency as their DOE as he/she would have a better grasp of the electorate and the issues in the area. If anything this points to HQ dictating and that the candidate has probably already been chosen in Dublin.

sowhat

Quite possible they'll bring back Pat the Cope from Europe at the next reshuffle and nominate his replacement for the MEP role. Problem solved for a government who can't afford to lose another by-election.

SFInbhear

Quite possible they'll bring back Pat the Cope from Europe at the next reshuffle and nominate his replacement for the MEP role. Problem solved for a government who can't afford to lose another by-election.
This is the second or third time this has been mentioned on this thread. However I don't think it would be a possibility as I don't think Fianna Fail would get away with it and even they don't hva the brass kneck required to pull a stunt like that, or maybe I am being to generous to them! But I'm sure well get a few FFers on here who would justify such a move.

old westie

(1) Topped the poll by a margin of 2000 in '07.
Yea i agree he hits most of them boxes you named, not much good him doing so well and then the rest of seats to ff bluffers, he either needs to take in a running mate or form a pact with an independent to inflict change in DNE

old westie

This is the second or third time this has been mentioned on this thread. However I don't think it would be a possibility as I don't think Fianna Fail would get away with it and even they don't hva the brass kneck required to pull a stunt like that, or maybe I am being to generous to them! But I'm sure well get a few FFers on here who would justify such a move.
Remember they only used him un the euro elections because their polling showed pascal mooner wasnot good enough and no one else in FF wanted it. So pat the joke jumped in to help and late as it was when he entered the race he won,so he is in control and will have EU pension entitlements earned come june and god only knows.

old westie

this may be why http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/FG-party-say-Slowey-mistake.6020607.jp
Link not working anyway i get drift he cocked up ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies