Donegal SW GE Candidates

Ulster-Lad

Up to 10 candidates predicted to run in general election

Ocean FM » Up to 10 candidates predicted to run in general election

Starting with the Independents -Thomas Pringle and Anne Sweeney who both contested the by-election has both confirmed they will run in the General election.

Independent Tom Conaghan says he is not ruling out running but he has no definite decision made -as is the situation with Independent Patsy Brogan from Frosses.

Sinn Fein’s Pearse Doherty will represent the party in the upcoming general election.

Meanwhile, the Labour party is running Frank McBrearty Jnr.

Fine Gael is expected to hold their selection convention in the New Year. It is not yet known whether or not the party will run a two candidate strategy comprising of Deputy Dinney McGinley and Councillor Barry O’Neill. Or if they will put forward just one representative and if so, which Fine Gael candidate will get the nod.

To Fianna Fail next and the party are to hold its selection convention in the coming weeks. Ocean FM news understands that the party will put forward two candidates the Tanaiste Mary Coughlan and Senator Brian O’Domhnaill.
Hard to believe Labour will stand McBrearty again.

FF however will put forward Coughlan and O'Domhnaill. Gallagher has already confirmed that he will not stand.

Personally, I think SF should consider a second candidate in DSW.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
If Fianna Fail are really on 20% and that wasn't just a by-election blip, they would not be wise to run 2.
Whatever % they are on, they are going to be the most transfer-repulsive party this time out, even more so than SF, for whom this has been a perennial problem.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Probably they'll run Coughlan and O'Domhnaill, with Mary taking him to one side and telling him to cool it and just sweep up a few votes in his town, and be sure they transfer. I met her once, she's not shy of throwing her weight around.

Ulster-Lad

Probably they'll run Coughlan and O'Domhnaill, with Mary taking him to one side and telling him to cool it and just sweep up a few votes in his town, and be sure they transfer. I met her once, she's not shy of throwing her weight around.
I met her once as well before the last GE. She was canvassing and wanted to insure that people voted herself 1 and Gallagher 2. By her own words she believed Gallagher was in trouble. She had quite the neck on her then and probably more of one now.

Ringo Starr

Ok this could be a possibility: Pearse tops the poll and goes over the quota by say 2,000 votes, FG get around 20% probably o'neill to run by himself. O'Domhnaill gets 12% and Coughlan gets 10%, Pringle get say around 10%, and labour about 8%, never mind the rest at about 1%.

Doherty gets elected and say 900 votes go to Pringle, 500 to O'Domhnaill and the rest mainly to labour.
Labour first main party out, transferring to Pringle and O'Neill. O'Neill still short of the quota. Coughlan next to be eliminated, transfers to party colleague O'Domhnaill, O'Neill and Pringle .
O'Neill reaches quota and transfers mainly to Pringle.

Pearse Doherty, O'Neill and Pringle elected

grassroots

Ok this could be a possibility: Pearse tops the poll and goes over the quota by say 2,000 votes, FG get around 20% probably o'neill to run by himself. O'Domhnaill gets 12% and Coughlan gets 10%, Pringle get say around 10%, and labour about 8%, never mind the rest at about 1%.

Doherty gets elected and say 900 votes go to Pringle, 500 to O'Domhnaill and the rest mainly to labour.
Labour first main party out, transferring to Pringle and O'Neill. O'Neill still short of the quota. Coughlan next to be eliminated, transfers to party colleague O'Domhnaill, O'Neill and Pringle .

O'Domhnaill to win the seat for FF. In the main parties, defeated by election candidates have a good track record in subsequent elections-probably becuase they are allowed the run of the place. Seats 1 & 2 as per your prediction.

Máistir na Cruinne

...Hard to believe Labour will stand McBrearty again......
They don't seem to have much choice. Advanced post-nationalist post-Christian liberals are very thin on the ground in Donegal South-West.

Crannog

Arrogance in itself could destroy most of FFs meagre seat chances. They should run 1 push 1 and at least have a chance for 1.

CarnivalOfAction

Up to 10 candidates predicted to run in general election

Ocean FM » Up to 10 candidates predicted to run in general election

Hard to believe Labour will stand McBrearty again.

FF however will put forward Coughlan and O'Domhnaill. Gallagher has already confirmed that he will not stand.

Personally, I think SF should consider a second candidate in DSW.
"Independent Patsy Brogan from Frosses." Isn't this the nut that runs the Bog Hotel up in the Blue Stacks? Was up there in the by-election & his bro Tommy would be a more interesting cand - he has his own-built wind turbines, Space Station Comms Module & a working plane!

Met 1 of Coughlan's workers there; he refused to work for BOD.

Agree SF should run 2; they have some excellent female cllrs.

Ringo Starr

I thought that SF would run two candidates, but it's Pearse Doherty that is their trump card, and they probably want to see if they can hold the vote they gained and build a base from that. But they will eventually run two in five years, I take that would be there plan. And Crannog you need to see past your party, SF like you are attacking everyone, do you ever want to be in government??

Decadance

Just a few points:
  1. Dinny McGinley had indicated he would stand in the GE sometime back - however I think a two candidate strategy would be best to ensure one seat for FG.
  2. If Tom Conaghan IND stands he will take a large FF vote from Coughlan (and she would have no chance of a seat)
  3. While the FPV in the bye-election was impressive for Doherty it would not translate to enough for two seats - unless Pringle is the second SF candidate.
  4. I don't expect Coughlan to allow O'Domhnaill to stand - The Cope's supporters may have other ideas though - so another candidate may emerge as FF second - as a compromise to both Coughlan's and Pat the Cope's factions.

However by a different route I expect 1 SF, 1 FG and 1 IND. (Doherty, McGinley, Pringle)

Ringo Starr

Well I think Dinny's days are numbered, I dont think any of the other indos will do anything in this election as its practically wasting a vote. Dinny's stronghold Gweedore has now turned into Pearses and if he ran he would only be helping O'Neill to get elected.
On a usual day there is a seat there for SF,FG,FF. The earlier post is only a possibility but the most realistic if O'Domhnaill doesn't get his vote out

Decadance

Well I think Dinny's days are numbered, I dont think any of the other indos will do anything in this election as its practically wasting a vote. Dinny's stronghold Gweedore has now turned into Pearses and if he ran he would only be helping O'Neill to get elected.
On a usual day there is a seat there for SF,FG,FF. The earlier post is only a possibility but the most realistic if O'Domhnaill doesn't get his vote out
I think that many of Dinny's voters in the Gweedore area may have lent their vote to Doherty for the bye-election; I wouldn't write off Dinny just yet!

Ringo Starr

I think that many of Dinny's voters in the Gweedore area may have lent their vote to Doherty for the bye-election; I wouldn't write off Dinny just yet!

But surely his vote is going to be down dramatically now, O'Neill only has Coughlan in his end really and she sitting duck, Did you see the tally figures the FG vote in his stronghold is down alot. O'Neill and O'Domhnaill has already made inroads into their colleagues heartlands during the bye-election so they are in a very strong position.

Finn Valley

The poeple of donegal seserve proper political opponents, so by saying that SF FF FG are the best we have is a "god help us all moment" Labour if they have any b***s would change Frank for he isnt even liked in his own finn valley so if they produced an alternative runner with some actual freshness to really shake it up people would in part vote them.

Ringo Starr

Labour have no other choices in DSW, Poor Seamus Rodgers missed out by about 15 years.

Ringo Starr

After hearing strong reports that Dinny Mc Ginley is to run in the general alone, and O'Neill is being given a Senate seat. Strange shout Dinny must really want the Ceann Comhairle

LgCastell

Any update on selection here? you'd think with the byelection it'd be one of the first chosen...

FF - I think FF will run with one here two would be madness and Brian Cowen would prefer to have Mary that Brain OD at his side so I wouldnt be surprised if they just run her ...

SF - there is talks here they should run two but i think it could be foolhardy ... look what has happened Lab there was talk and polls that theyd capture the west but it never happened and Frank would have been their "star" (cringe) candidate in the west ... if SF were to run a second Pearse would be safe anyway but the second wouldnt get his deposit back ...it'd change if Pringle was brought back into the fray ...any chance of that happening??? why did he leave?

FG - i think are in a little bit of a problem ... Barry didnt perform well in the by election campaign and although he finished up second and held the GE vote reasonably well (this should pop up in a GE) will FG want to boot Dinny out and would they be sure Barry could perform better in interviews etc to get elected without dinny? i think 2 FG is out of the question ... but running two if FF run one might result in FG barely takin the last seat ...

I would be surprised if Dinny didn't run he will be looking for the CC chair and O'Neill will miss out either at a convention or election ...

Doherty will top the poll
FG second if they run 1 candidate
FF second if FG run two and they run Mary only

if FF and FG run two then i think its between the 4 for two with FF taking 1 (and it may be BOD rather than Mary) and FG taking 1 (Dinny)

LgCastell

on a side note is seamus rodgers possibly the most unsucessful election candidate ever

5 parties
10 GE
2 By elections
2 European elections
3 local elections

and his best result was .5 of a quota in a local ... quite a track record :)

MichaelMac

It would be a great pity if Frank was not to run for Labour again. The country needs people with economic nous and Frank epitomises all that Labour knows about the economy.

In years to come people will look back to the halcyon days of the 8 euro bond.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies