Donegal : very slow to count the abortion referendum & the only no, why ?

Anomander

No connection with dublin.the ignorance s astonishing.
If you stand outside pearce docherty office door you can get a bus straight to dublin 2 time a day more at weekends. A bus straight to galway. A bus straight to Belfast. You can drive 15 to an airport which will fly you to the uk or dublin.
I had a friend down last year from outside athlone he couldn't believe the connectivity.
Probably the most connected county in ireland in terms of big irish cities including Belfast and derry.
Can't tell if being patronizing or just plain stupid...
Your friend from Athlone (who has a bus service to Dublin and Galway every hour, never mind having rail and close motorway links) thinks Donegal is well connected?
A bus to dublin every 3 hours, that take 4 hours. Same with Galway.
No Rail nor motorways. 1 small dual carriageway that is about 4 miles long. We don't have the infrastructure here.
There is no Bus to Belfast, you would have to go to Derry and change. There is a private bus to Belfast.
Derry airport is fine, but Donegal airport is a joke that is in the backass of no where. I don't know a single person who has used the Donegal airport, and I am born and raised here.

Simple fact is Donegal is in bad need of investment, but we know we will never get it. We don't care tbh.
There is no resentment towards Dublin nor any affiliation with the north (maybe on the border, but then I live 6 miles from the border and have no affiliation with it)

When it comes down to it, Donegal is conservative, and it will be slow to change, especially as all the youth leave the county for work. Those that do stay are lucky enough to get a job, usually in the north.

On a side note: I live in inishowen, and outside the (small) towns here, its mostly protestant farmers who are very very conservative.
Lovely people and most are not sectarian in any way. But pretty much all of them are deeply conservative and all made sure to vote no :)
The larger towns here such as Donegal town and Letterkenny where all Yes, but rural areas and border areas such as inishowen (53%) voted no.

Last edited:

Eoin Coir

Donegal vote No because none of the main politicians McHugh/ Gallagher/McConlogue/ Doherty were out canvasing for a Yes Vote, and the priests in the County were preaching for a No Vote for weeks off the Alter
priests in Donegal preach a lot of things, there was one in Gweedore area who preached off altar for people not to pay water charges.

shiel

Your friend from Athlone (who has a bus service to Dublin and Galway every hour, never mind having rail and close motorway links) thinks Donegal is well connected?
No Rail nor motorways. 1 small dual carriageway that is about 4 miles long. We don't have the infrastructure here.
There is no Bus to Belfast, you would have to go to Derry and change. There is a private bus to Belfast.
Derry airport is fine, but Donegal airport is a joke that is in the backass of no where. I don't know a single person who has used the Donegal airport, and I am born and raised here.

Simple fact is Donegal is in bad need of investment, but we know we will never get it. We don't care tbh.
There is no resentment towards Dublin nor any affiliation with the north (maybe on the border, but then I live 6 miles from the border and have no affiliation with it)

When it comes down to it, Donegal is conservative, and it will be slow to change, especially as all the youth leave the county for work. Those that do stay are lucky enough to get a job, usually in the north.

On a side note: I live in inishowen, and outside the (small) towns here, its mostly protestant farmers who are very very conservative.
Lovely people and most are not sectarian in any way. But pretty much all of them are deeply conservative and all made sure to vote no :)
The larger towns here such as Donegal town and Letterkenny where all Yes, but rural areas and border areas such as inishowen (53%) voted no.
Thanks for that.

People of Donegal are equal citizens and are entitled to their opinions.

Anomander

priests in Donegal preach a lot of things, there was one in Gweedore area who preached off altar for people not to pay water charges.
Depends on the priest I guess. My local one and the others in Inishowen all went with vote with your conscience option. Which was a nice change. (local Presbyterians were told to vote no by their vicar I am told).
There did seem to be a lot of priests getting heavily involved in pushing No further south in the county. The church still has a strong grip in rural Donegal. (again that is mostly because the youth have left imo).

enuffisenuff

Spot on!

Nemesiscorporation

Sorry, no link. If you're on twitter, you might be able to find tallies for individual polling stations - there's a whole load of them for Co. Roscommon for example, but I have no idea what's available for Co. Donegal.
Trying to get my paws on them for the referendum and hopefully previous referendums.

Analyzer

Phoney Gael would not like that.

Bad for their mate.

Nemesiscorporation

Depends on the priest I guess. My local one and the others in Inishowen all went with vote with your conscience option. Which was a nice change. (local Presbyterians were told to vote no by their vicar I am told).
There did seem to be a lot of priests getting heavily involved in pushing No further south in the county. The church still has a strong grip in rural Donegal. (again that is mostly because the youth have left imo).
At best guess about half of parishes had priests telling people to vote no. It was spread across all the religions. It was also clear there was some co-ordination between them.

popular1

Not quite, like yourself he jumped in without reading the actual words ,
Did I say he was athlone, no I said he was from outside athlone Roscommon actually.
Does that make it any clearer, from roscommon he has to go to athlone the nearest big town
Pearce docherty cionstituency office is located in middletown gweedore .
From there you can get mcginleys bus to Dublin 2 a day, more at weekend, he has a bus going at 4 am Monday morning
All from gweedore,
You can get bus Feda to galway from gweedore every day
You can get gallaghers coaches to Derry Belfast belfast airport everyday from gweedore
You dont have to go to letterkenny or donegal town the nearest big towns like my friend in roscommon does
These services run every day from gweedore via letterkenny
There are days when Mcginley bus from Dublin runs 7 cioaches full of people .
From donegal airport you can fly go Dublin , that's 15 mins from Pearce dochertys office
If you read my post again you will note I said these services are all available from Pearce dochertys office
This is in the context if my friend who lives in Roscommon where these services are not available
Now does that make sense.
This nonsense about he Glasgow connection is about 40 years out of date,
Far more people go to Dublin London Australia and the US than to Glasgow nowadays
There was a very big outflow to Glasgow one time but it's not the same now
My own family went there.

You can get gallaghers bus to Belfast everyday from gweedore and its goes through letterkenny stops at mr chippy
So you have a direct service yo Belfast .and Belfast airport
Mcginley bus will take you from inishowen to Dublin bus via letterkenny every day

Donegal airport is very busy, voted the best located airport in the world
But it's in the wrong place should have been built in letterkenny
It is inaccessible to most of Donegal .
Having said thst inishowen is not far from Derry airport .
There probably thousands of people from Donegal working and studying in Dublin every year so to suggest
That people in Donegal font know ehats happening in Dublin is just wish full thinking
Ever think they may be right and you and Facebook may be wrong

Anomander

mcginleys bus to Dublin 2 a day,
bus Feda to galway from gweedore
gallaghers coaches to Derry Belfast belfast airport
All private companies set up by locals because we have no public services.

donegal airport you can fly go Dublin
Back ass of no where in the far west of Donegal. might suit gweedore, but nobody lives in gweedore! The people of donegal use the Derry airport not the Donegal one. Because those going to dublin take the bus or drive.
(you name drop pearce docherty as if he is even relevant here).

Donegal airport is very busy, voted the best located airport in the world
But it's in the wrong place should have been built in letterkenny
It is inaccessible to most of Donegal .
Having said thst inishowen is not far from Derry airport .
There probably thousands of people from Donegal working and studying in Dublin every year so to suggest
That people in Donegal font know ehats happening in Dublin is just wish full thinking
Ever think they may be right and you and Facebook may be wrong
Have you been to donegal airport? Its a shed on a beach. It is used for freight and the odd idiot who thought it was a real airport.

I myself studied in Dublin and the people of Donegal know well what is happening in Dublin... They just don't care.
Donegal has nothing, we know that, but we are happy with that. It is everyone else who seems to have a problem with it.

I have lived in Roscommon for a few years, in Tulsk. Far better connected than anywhere in Donegal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies