• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"Don't do as I do but do as I tell you"

Irish Citizens Party

This popular cant of the plebs on the sanctimonious hypocrisy of preachers telling them to lead virtuous lives, applies equally to RTE current affairs debates on austerity.
Frontline: By conservative estimate, the combined salaries of Pat Kenny and his guests on Mon 3rd, ie. Minister Hayes, Pierce Doherty TD, Prof Brian Lucey and Donal Donovan ex Dep Director IMF was north of 1.1 million Euros. When you add pensions, lump sums, allowances, expenses and god knows what else to this figure, the final cost to the public is impossible to calculate.
In the interests of the much trumpeted openness and transparency, I propose that the salary of every person paid from the public purse (over,say, 80K) be displayed on the screen beside their name when being interviewed on RTE current affairs programmes. The same policy to apply to radio.
This policy should start today, budget day.
Jim Connolly

Analyzer

It get's even more obsene and ridiculous on the Maid Marion show, when a collection of tax payer funded millionaire spoofers all sit around, as MF asks a quesion to one of the participants..... "and how are you coping with the recession ?".

Pravda/RTE are now gone far beyond a joke. Sell that useless pampered quango in Montrose and let the individuals holding remote controls decide exactly who should be on half a million a year for talking nonsense.

The Pravda compulsory levy enforced under a threat of being thrown in jail for a month is a barbaric obscenity.

Last edited:

Radix

What will we put beside the Angelus bell?

Tawdy

This popular cant of the plebs on the sanctimonious hypocrisy of preachers telling them to lead virtuous lives, applies equally to RTE current affairs debates on austerity.
Frontline: By conservative estimate, the combined salaries of Pat Kenny and his guests on Mon 3rd, ie. Minister Hayes, Pierce Doherty TD, Prof Brian Lucey and Donal Donovan ex Dep Director IMF was north of 1.1 million Euros. When you add pensions, lump sums, allowances, expenses and god knows what else to this figure, the final cost to the public is impossible to calculate.
In the interests of the much trumpeted openness and transparency, I propose that the salary of every person paid from the public purse (over,say, 80K) be displayed on the screen beside their name when being interviewed on RTE current affairs programmes. The same policy to apply to radio.
This policy should start today, budget day.
Jim Connolly

.............and that would achieve actually what Jim?

I know you mean well but ffs get a grip will you!

statsman

.............and that would achieve actually what Jim?

I know you mean well but ffs get a grip will you!
A warm sense of sanctimonious self-righteousness, which is, in fairness, a good old Irish tradition.

Sync

Jim if you think it's "impossible" to calculate the salaries and costs of 5 individuals then why would I let you manage my piggy bank? You're saying you're incapable of executing a Leaving Cert pass maths question.

The Field Marshal

Why on earth does anybody pay any attention to the Irish state owned broadcastor RTE? Time after time they been found to libel people and to undermine the democratic electoral process. It's quite incredible that anybody retains any trust in such a profoundly corrupt entity.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Why on earth does anybody pay any attention to the Irish state owned broadcastor RTE? Time after time they been found to libel people and to undermine the democratic electoral process. It's quite incredible that anybody retains any trust in such a profoundly corrupt entity.
I thought you'd be busy today, helping Archbishop Martin put the finishing touches to the Catholic church's response to the 'Abortion Expert Group' report.

The Field Marshal

I thought you'd be busy today, helping Archbishop Martin put the finishing touches to the Catholic church's response to the 'Abortion Expert Group' report.
Are you going to continue ignore the vile corruption at the heart of the Irish state owned media organisation whilst indulging some off topic penchant ?

statsman

Are you going to continue ignore the vile corruption at the heart of the Irish state owned media organisation whilst indulging some off topic penchant ?
I know the RCC has had a close detrimental relationship to the Irish state, but calling it 'state owned' is pushing it.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Not really a penchant of mine, to be honest. Perhaps you meant yours.

I don't ignore the 'vile corruption'; instead, I have developed the abilty to think for myself, and no longer watch much of RTE's current affairs broadcasting.

Or the Angelus, for that matter. Sometimes the prayer at night is interesting though. Mass on Sunday caters for me if I want to catch a few hymns. Also, when RTE reports on what the Catholic church has to say on matters, it is kind of cute. Nice of them to give a lobby group like the CC some air time. Although why the Catholic Church's views on abortion are any more important than, say the FAI's views on abortion, I am not sure.

Mitsui2

The Pravda compulsory levy enforced under a threat of being thrown in jail for a month is a barbaric obscenity.
I've absolutely nothing against your general point, Analyzer, but would you not think that describing the tv licence as a "barbaric obscenity" is an unnecessary contribution to linguistic inflation?

The Field Marshal

I've absolutely nothing against your general point, Analyzer, but would you not think that describing the tv licence as a "barbaric obscenity" is an unnecessary contribution to linguistic inflation?
Nope. The management in RTE are obscene because their tv programmes have libelled innocent people and barbaric because they undermine the Irish democratic process in order to continously promote an inhuman left wing ideology.

punchdrunk

It get's even more obsene and ridiculous on the Maid Marion show, when a collection of tax payer funded millionaire spoofers all sit around, as MF asks a quesion to one of the participants..... "and how are you coping with the recession ?".

Pravda/RTE are now gone far beyond a joke. Sell that useless pampered quango in Montrose and let the individuals holding remote comtrols who should be on half a million a year for talking nonsense.

It is time to cut the massive salaries at RTE.

statsman

It is time to cut the massive salaries at RTE.
More like time to cut lose the deadwood that get paid those huge salaries and give more reasonably-paid work to the many excellent presenters to be found across the evening radio schedules.

ticketyboo

Pravda/RTE are now gone far beyond a joke. Sell that useless pampered quango in Montrose and let the individuals holding remote comtrols who should be on half a million a year for talking nonsense.

Analyzer -be careful what you wish for. Much as you despise RTE, would you wish the media to be in the private hands of Dennis O'Brien or a Michael O'Leary type figure?
The popular press is almost exclusively in the control of the right wing and has retarded social progress and republican ideals by propping up tweedle dee/tweedle dum for decades in the mirage that either is an alternative to the antics of the other. Anybody for a new type of politics, free of cronyism and partisan judicial appointments?
Witness how Berlusconi, to name but one, got away with his shenanigans for such a long time. He had the gaff sewn up..almost.