Don't say "Sorry!" to correct something you said, say "Correction!"

Patslatt1

Instead of saying something like "let me correct that",Americans and Canadians have started to say "Sorry!" as short hand for a statement that they want to correct something they have just said. I believe this use of sorry was originally a British custom.

To my ears, sorry sounds too apologetic. Wouldn't it be better to say "Correction!" instead? Let's set an example for Americans and Canadians to follow.

between the bridges

Bollocks...

Peppermint

Instead of saying something like "let me correct that",Americans and Canadians have started to say "Sorry!" as short hand for a statement that they want to correct something they have just said. I believe this use of sorry was originally a British custom.

To my ears, sorry sounds too apologetic. Wouldn't it be better to say "Correction!" instead? Let's set an example for Americans and Canadians to follow.
If you make a mistake, Sorry is always a good starting point for a correction..

RepublicOfLuas

God forbid someone decides to use passive language ahead of ego-driven righteousness.

Oh well. Sorry.

nakatomi

So if you cannot hear what someone said, should you say " sorry could you repeat that please?", or "Verbal information incoherent, repeat."?

Ardillaun

When somebody bumps into me, I say 'sorry'. This is a sensible course of action to take because: I may well be mistaken and have bumped into them, in which case an apology is in order; they may mistakenly believe that I am at fault which makes it prudent; I may be merely expressing regret at their stupidity in bumping into me but choose to vent my anger in a fashion that can be misinterpreted as excessive good manners.

Sync

When somebody bumps into me, I say 'sorry'. This is a sensible course of action to take because: I may well be mistaken and have bumped into them, in which case an apology is in order; they may mistakenly believe that I am at fault which makes it prudent; I may be merely expressing regret at their stupidity in bumping into me but choose to vent my anger in a fashion that can be misinterpreted as excessive good manners.
Oh that’s no good. If you misspeak and you’re having to repeat yourself, apologising for wasting the other persons time and confusing people is fine.

But someone walks into you and you apologise? Screw that noise. That’s how you end up with an inferiority complex and it’ll bleed into other areas of your life making you indecisive and less than you can be. Some idiot tries getting on the train as I’m getting off and knocks me? “Watch it” is the appropriate response.

greengoose2

Oh that’s no good. If you misspeak and you’re having to repeat yourself, apologising for wasting the other persons time and confusing people is fine.

But someone walks into you and you apologise? Screw that noise. That’s how you end up with an inferiority complex and it’ll bleed into other areas of your life making you indecisive and less than you can be. Some idiot tries getting on the train as I’m getting off and knocks me? “Watch it” is the appropriate response.
Tough stuff indeed. Rambo in a skirt, I love it.

former wesleyan

But " sorry " in place of " excuse me " is an Irish thing.

statsman

Correction, where's the Public Service angle?

silverharp

All I know is generally its ok to say "sorry" or "my bad" except at a funeral

Rural

“Sorry” covers a multitude of meanings that “correction” will not. Like –

Sorry? - I know what you said and you’ll be sorry if you say it again.

SORRY! – Holy God did I really say that.

Sorry but… - This is when the insult or criticism is dropped in.

Sorry if – The “wriggle out sorry”, I don’t believe I have anything to be sorry about, but if you insist.

Sorry now – This will hurt you more than it hurts me.

And then there’s the insincere “sorry” – Fr. Jack says it best.

[video=youtube;oYOZ3IzRaf4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4[/video]

razorblade

If someone you know has someone very close to them who dies saying correction for you condolences makes no sense, so in those cases it should always be sorry.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies