Don't speak foreign muck

Cai

A bit of a crazy story in the Independent today.

Mother teaching Welsh to daughter in Wales told by stranger to stop speaking

I suppose we can put this down to the intolerant ravings of a loon. But this sort of unpleasant behaviour has become far more prevalent both in Wales & in the rest of the UK since the Brexit vote. A lot of bigots have assumed that those who voted to leave the EU were in fact voting for their own bigotry.

And maybe they've got a point. Many (but by no means all) Brexiteers simply don't like anything that isn't English. The UK might well be developing into a very different kind of country to what it's been for decades.

Any thoughts?

galleyslave

its the same mentality, albeit a different societal class as the trolling idiot who wrote the country squire article recently. there's bigots everywhere

Half Nelson

Isolated cases prove that it's widespread and getting widespreadier.

aldiper

I suppose we can put this down to the intolerant ravings of a loon. But this sort of unpleasant behaviour has become far more prevalent both in Wales & in the rest of the UK since the Brexit vote. A lot of bigots have assumed that those who voted to leave the EU were in fact voting for their own bigotry.

And maybe they've got a point. Many (but by no means all) Brexiteers simply don't like anything that isn't English. The UK might well be developing into a very different kind of country to what it's been for decades.

Any thoughts?
Yer wan could have been having the craic, no?

(Don't know what the Welsh for that is..)

Sync

I suppose we can put this down to the intolerant ravings of a loon.
Would seem to be sensible.

But this sort of unpleasant behaviour has become far more prevalent both in Wales & in the rest of the UK since the Brexit vote.
Or I guess we could use anecdotes to jump to an unsubstantiated wider, more prevelent problem. Either/or.

aldiper

Or I guess we could use anecdotes to jump to an unsubstantiated wider, more prevelent problem. Either/or.
One swallow doesn't make a summer, but one loon certainly indicates a wider, and malignant, social trend....

Mick Mac

Any thoughts?
Firstly it's not acceptable to denigrate the speaker of any language, including Welsh.

But at the same time I think the introduction of English to Wales helped shift the country from a mono tonal place to one with plural identities and dynamics.

So it's great that you have people who only speak English but its a pity he is negative in approaching that other language.

I think it could be more than a little prevalent. Farage certainly used the proliferation of foreign languages in the Underground as something of a rallying cry during the Brexit campaign. That stuff comeing from a hero of the right might act to enable such behaviour in some minds.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Any thoughts?
I'm not sure one ignorant, paranoid bitch is much to go by, but you may be right.

GDPR

England has been very good to me but lets face it every country has it's creatures who manifest it's own particular form of vileness. That type of English person existed long before Brexit.

Vega1447

England has been very good to me but lets face it every country has it's creatures who manifest it's own particular form of vileness. That type of English person existed long before Brexit.
But is now "empowered" to take a slap at "foreigners" (like Welsh-speaking Welsh women).

raetsel

There does seem to be a rise of a more bigoted climate among a nasty minority since the Brexit vote who have become emboldened to voice their prejudices openly.
These stories are becoming more prevalent.

Deadlock

I think it could be more than a little prevalent. Farage certainly used the proliferation of foreign languages in the Underground as something of a rallying cry during the Brexit campaign. That stuff comeing from a hero of the right might act to enable such behaviour in some minds.
I recall a video made of Farages LBC radio program with a caller phoning in one time, ostensibly to complain to Farage about immigrants in the country refusing to speak the language after 12 years living there. Cue indignant bluster and anger from Farage, until it soon became obvious that the country was Belgium and the immigrant refusing to speak the language was Farage himself.

Furious back-pedalling as you can imagine.

ETA: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/nigel-farage-flustered-by-lbc-caller-over-lack-of-language-skills-as-mep-i-m-not-a-brilliant-a7141301.html

Last edited:

shiel

I recall a video made of Farages LBC radio program calling one time, ostensibly to complain to Farage about immigrants in the country refusing to speak the language after 12 years living there. Cue indignant bluster and anger from Farage, until it soon became obvious that the country was Belgium and the immigrant refusing to speak the language was Farage himself.

Furious back-pedalling as you can imagine.
The basic motivation for Brexit was racist.

We are all inclined to be in denial about that.

GDPR

But is now "empowered" to take a slap at "foreigners" (like Welsh-speaking Welsh women).
I haven't noticed any change in my English in-laws and friends (all of whom voted Brexit) since the referendum. I haven't noticed any change in the English posters on here either. After the result came through my sister became a lot more Uber-"Loyal" for about three weeks but Ulster Prods will be Ulster Prods. Labour under Corbyn nearly won the general election last time and will win next time and than the serious business of rebuilding Britain will begin.

GDPR

The basic motivation for Brexit was racist.

We are all inclined to be in denial about that.
Yeah and idiotic Ulster Loyalists claim that the basic motivation behind Irish Separatism was sectarianism....You are on about their level.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies