• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Doomsday Preppers - an entertaining telly series or a frightening portent ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

On the National Geographic channel, a new series about survivalists who expect Civilisation to fail any day.

At a time when the failures of politicians seem epidemic and our complicated interconnected world economy seems fragile : the relief operations after Hurricane Katrina, the UK 2011 riots, the Iceland Volcano stopping all flights etc.

These doomsday preppers see the final straw coming from things as diverse as : a financial crisis, an electromagnetic solar pulse, earthquakes, social breakdown, failure of the Logistics network, the end of Cheap Oil, Climate Change, HyperInflation etc etc.

In preparation for the doom scenario these people are taking many measures : stocking up with longlife-food and weapons, investing in small subsistence farms, learning folk home-craft skills, learning to forage for food, storing medical supplies, books, 2 way radio sets, etc etc.

And so a question : Are they hillbilly banjo-playing nutters or clear-sighted visionaries ?

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
Doomsday Preppers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dresden8

"Western" society is overpopulated for the resources available to it.

It's a crapshoot.

BlackLion

i like the saying expect the unexpected but a planet hiding behide the sun, thats going to crash into us on 21st is something i never expected. :)

anyway why are we taking advice of the end of our civilisation from the mayans anyway? they couldn't even predict their own demise.

one thing these preppers do warn about in their own way is that they tell us not to rely too much on one modern commodity and to us this commodity is electricity.

nonpartyboy

I can tell you one thing, in the event of a meltdown of any kind, you would not want to be depending on tesco's, dunnes, aldi or lidl to feed you, nor the state to protect you.

Just look at the aftermath of hurricane katrina,the london riots law and order broke down and the authorities who would be on a scale of say 9 compared to our 2 completely failed,not to mention both their massive standing armies.

I think a disaster in a rural aera would not be too bad, but anything major in any city and things would get out of control very quickly.

firefly123

We are always predicting our doom and then finding ways to avoid it. New York was going to be 10ft deep in horse shît in 1910 according to doomers in 1870. Guess what.
We are ingenious little vermin when we need to be. I just wish we would spread to other places in case a big asteroid hits us.

BlackLion

My rifles trump your cows.
My cannibal mutant hybrids trump your rifles and cow or cows with rifles for horns and when they moo, they shoot. :)

dresden8

My cannibal mutant hybrids trump your rifles and cow or cows with rifles for horns and when they moo, they shoot. :)
Ah, but I have mutated sea bass with lasers attached to their heads.

Check..........................................Mate.

Cassandra Syndrome

The main problem is that the global financial system is a gigantic ponzi scheme, in which the chickens have come home to roost. There are alternative models that have worked well in the past, but it requires about 90% downsizing of the finance industry in its current format and a lot of self sacrificing by the lunatics in control of the asylum. However necessity is the mother of all invention, so one way or another the tipping point will force changes.

After that hurdle, I'm confident in the resources of human endeavour to solve the finite resources in energy and that hopefully the 4th Industrial Revolution will be based on energy. The main long term problem I see is the demographic timebomb, as there are not enough young people to support the aging population that could, if technology advances, live well beyond 100. I've gone past the stage of guessing when my generation will retire as there simply will not be enough younger producers to meet our consumption demands, no matter how much we save.

Hitch 22

If you are preparing for the end I would recommend you buy a ton of rice and some dried and canned foot. That could keep you alive for years.
The currency following a WTSHTF or EOTWAWKI scenario is going to be 1) food 2) fuel 3) bullets 4) sex 5) work.

Pray God you don't have to trade sex or labor for food. If being bum raped is your thing fine.

Your best bet is to tool up with weapons to protect yourself from marauders and cannibals and slavers.

When you are chopping firewood I would recommend you carry a 9mm handgun on your hip to fight off wild dogs, wolves and cannibals.

For killing varmints and small prey a .22lr rifle is essential and can come in handy in a long range stand off. A semi-automatic Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice.

A 12-gauge shotgun is good for close up work when dealing with multiple attackers and bagging birds on the wing.

Finally get yourself a good military combat/utility knife which can come in handy for digging, cutting branches or rope, cleaning fish, gutting carcasses and stabbing and killing cannibals and marauders.

drummed

If i was you Hitch i would'nt worry too much about having to trade sex for anything.:)

BlackLion

Ah, but I have mutated sea bass with lasers attached to their heads.

Check..........................................Mate.
I got a fishing rod with a nice lure. trump that Biaaaaaatchhh

Spirit Of Newgrange

If you are preparing for the end I would recommend you buy a ton of rice and some dried and canned foot. That could keep you alive for years.
The currency following a WTSHTF or EOTWAWKI scenario is going to be 1) food 2) fuel 3) bullets 4) sex 5) work.

Pray God you don't have to trade sex or labor for food. If being bum raped is your thing fine.

Your best bet is to tool up with weapons to protect yourself from marauders and cannibals and slavers.

When you are chopping firewood I would recommend you carry a 9mm handgun on your hip to fight off wild dogs, wolves and cannibals.

For killing varmints and small prey a .22lr rifle is essential and can come in handy in a long range stand off. A semi-automatic Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice.

A 12-gauge shotgun is good for close up work when dealing with multiple attackers and bagging birds on the wing.

Finally get yourself a good military combat/utility knife which can come in handy for digging, cutting branches or rope, cleaning fish, gutting carcasses and stabbing and killing cannibals and marauders.

you forgot to mention getting friendly with the local religious crazies

Hitch 22

The main problem is that the global financial system is a gigantic ponzi scheme, in which the chickens have come home to roost. There are alternative models that have worked well in the past, but it requires about 90% downsizing of the finance industry in its current format and a lot of self sacrificing by the lunatics in control of the asylum. However necessity is the mother of all invention, so one way or another the tipping point will force changes.

After that hurdle, I'm confident in the resources of human endeavour to solve the finite resources in energy and that hopefully the 4th Industrial Revolution will be based on energy. The main long term problem I see is the demographic timebomb, as there are not enough young people to support the aging population that could, if technology advances, live well beyond 100. I've gone past the stage of guessing when my generation will retire as there simply will not be enough younger producers to meet our consumption demands, no matter how much we save.
How about everyone takes a suicide pill at 50?:D

drummed

Someone has to i suppose:)