• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Doorbells for the elderly

blokesbloke

Cooee dears, any doorbell experts in?

Mumsy and Dadsy live in an old Edwardian house and it has a (I think) original bell push for the doorbell which they are very fond of, so I don't want to replace it.

The house was rewired in the 1990s and I think they did the doorbell too and I gather doorbell technology is essentially unchanged since the house was built anyway.

However despite the bell being nice and loud they sometimes can't hear it.

Is there a way I could connect a second ringer to it? I've seen kits which seem to be saying you can connect a wireless transmitter to the bell and that broadcasts a wireless signal to a seperate chiming unit which would sound as well, but not sure if I've understood it properly or if they'd work with an old system.

Would I need an electrician or could I do it myself?

Thank you in advance!

between the bridges

Mumsy and Dadsy live in an old Edwardian house and it has a (I think) original bell push for the doorbell which they are very fond of, so I don't want to replace it.

The house was rewired in the 1990s and I think they did the doorbell too and I gather doorbell technology is essentially unchanged since the house was built anyway.

Is there a way I could connect a second ringer to it? I've seen kits which seem to be saying you can connect a wireless transmitter to the bell and that broadcasts a wireless signal to a seperate chiming unit which would sound as well, but not sure if I've understood it properly or if they'd work with an old system.

Thank you in advance!
If yer going to upgrade a cctv camera that connects to the tv or separate screen is worth considering and fairly inexpensive...

Catalpast

Our doorbell hasn't worked for years

- and we never answer the door to anybody anyway

- even if we know there is someone outside....

TBH BB I would advise them as older folks (I presume) to be very very careful as to they answer the door to these days....

Accidental sock

When I read the title of your OP, I thought you were proposing some kind of bizarre swap.

Thank you in advance!
When parent's reach that age I'm going to put them in an old folks home that way I get the gaff to myself.

twokidsmanybruises

Just put a webcam and and a internet bell button that's on the wifi, buy '3em a tablet and let them be able to see and hear who's at the door from it. Bung a magnet case on the tablet and tick it to the drive or some other off-used space.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I think what twokidsmanybruises was trying to say was:

"Just buy a webcam and an Internet bell button that's on the wifi, buy them a tablet and let them be able to see and hear who's at the door from it. Bung a magnetic case on it and your Da shags your Ma in the carpark at Sainsbury's at night time in a senior citizen's dogging circle."

Happy to help. No need to thank me. :)

Fractional Reserve

Get them a wireless peephole one that takes a picture of whoever is had the front door , plus they can also see whose is at the door .

Thank you in advance!

RetiredProvo

Thank you in advance!
One of these is better than any doorbell. Even with the original bell, a good and well trained dog will relay the message that someone is at the door.

Cheaper to run too than any cctv or any of that other new fangled technology for the parents.

redhead

BB if you're ever in Dublin, take a trip to Knobs & Knockers.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I completely misread this thread title as 'doorballs for the elderly'. Conjured a very uneasy image in the mind I have to say.

Socratus O' Pericles

One of these is better than any doorbell. Even with the original bell, a good and well trained dog will relay the message that someone is at the door.

Cheaper to run too than any cctv or any of that other new fangled technology for the parents.

As the Dublin fella said ( you have to do the accent) , they're a great detergent.

gatsbygirl20

Thank you in advance!
I think you definitely need an electrician, BB

He will tell you immediately if what you propose is possible, and will do the job.

Be warned though that your elderly parents may still not hear the new bell. My elderly mother cannot hear the doorbell, and it is the usual loud modern one....

Hope this works out for you, BB. As our parents age, all these small issues become a problem.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies