Double Rapist gets 12 year sentence, Judge decides to suspend 3 years why?

johnny365

An Indian computer expert was convicted of the rape of two Women, Kapil Garg, 34, originally from India but living in Whitefriar Place in Dublin 8, was also sentenced to 12 years in jail. The Judge Mr Justice Barry White told him that "he could have spared his victims a further ordeal if he had not waited until the eve of sentencing to accept responsibility for his crimes".

Mr Justice White also said "he could not ignore Garg's bad character and his previous attack on a woman in the US for which he spent time in the Los Angeles County Jail" The judge said that incident would most likely have been a sex attack if Garg had not been interrupted.

Now the question id like to ask is why after considering all the facts why was Mr Garg given 3 years suspended off his sentence? The Judge pointed out that he pleaded Not Guilty and failed to accept responsibility for his crimes, while putting the victims through further torment. He also made reference to his previous conviction in the US. Why was he shown mercy and given 3 years suspended off his sentence? He showed no mercy towards his victims?

The judiciary have a shocking tolerance for sex crimes in this country, Mr Garg will serve maybe 5 years then be released. Will he be deported when he is released? Its time the safety of the community and serving justice were paramount in this country and a mandatory term of 30 years for rapists was introduced.

Double rapist Garg gets 12-year jail sentence - RTÉ News

Last edited:

Aindriu

Because most or our judiciary live on another planet to us.

Troy_337

Is it possible to save the taxpayers money by deporting him at the end of 12 years?

Hitch 22

Disgusting. The guy raped two women. Surely he should get DOUBLE the sentence?

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Because most or our judiciary live on another planet to us.
Perhaps-I'm uncertain about this-the stipulation that a decreased sentence must follow a guilty plea has no room for discretion and must be followed despite the circumstances. A last-minute and obviously self-serving guilty plea may carry the same weight as an early guilty plea and genuine remorse...unfortunately.

johnny365

Is it possible to save the taxpayers money by deporting him at the end of 12 years?
He should be deported upon release, he also will serve nothing near 12 years, he has 3 suspended already and providing he doesnt kill anybody or rape somebody in prison he will be out in 5 years for "good behaviour". That is shocking for raping 2 women, justice Irish style!

Bea C

Maybe it was because of 'cultural differences'?

Dadaist

As far as I can make out, it was because he offered to pay 10 grand each to the victims. They refused the money, but it was still used to shorten his sentence.

Hitch 22

As far as I can make out, it was because he offered to pay 10 grand each to the victims. They refused the money, but it was still used to shorten his sentence.
Did he think the women were prostitutes or something?

johnny365

Shocking looks like the old pay off the victim if your rich card still works for the judiciary, just the like the recent case where offering 70 k led to a soft sentence. Our judiciary need to be held to account, too many lives have been destroyed or lost due to sick sexual predators. Its time to take sentencing out of the hands of clueless Judges and introduce a 30 year mandatory sentence for rapists. Protection of the community and justice for the victim should be paramount.

Dadaist

Did he think the women were prostitutes or something?
I never understand the concept that if you pay the victim a large enough sum of money, then you get a reduced sentence. It never stuck me as being very democratic. And yes, in a rape case it a disgusting insult to the victims.

johnny365

Disgusting. The guy raped two women. Surely he should get DOUBLE the sentence?
The fact is our judiciary have a shocking tolerance for sexual crimes, its time sentencing powers were removed from Judges.

eoghanacht

Because the crime wasn't perpetrated against any of the elite of the country?

I hear Bruton is writing a letter to the times asking for forgiveness.

Equinox

We'd have saved the taxpayer the cost of a trial and two women a lifetime of regret if we'd refused a visa to a convicted rapist in the first place. Why the hell was he even here? Not that I'm surprised, we had a foreign national who was a convicted double rapist (in the UK) vanish from my place of work after a simple google of this lairey individuals name turned up an article about his trial. Is google to advanced a tool for government?

johnny365

Because the crime wasn't perpetrated against any of the elite of the country?

I hear Bruton is writing a letter to the times asking for forgiveness.
Its shocking really and it explains why a lot of Women who are raped will never report it to Gardai.

johnny365

We'd have saved the taxpayer the cost of a trial and two women a lifetime of regret if we'd refused a visa to a convicted rapist in the first place. Why the hell was he even here? Not that I'm surprised, we had a foreign national who was a convicted double rapist (in the UK) vanish from my place of work after a simple google of this lairey individuals name turned up an article about his trial. Is google to advanced a tool for government?
It seems Ireland has become a sexual predators haven, soft sentencing and free to roam as they wish.

The Owl

I'm always stunned when I hear about this rape cases. The hell these poor women go through after the rape. The questioning, the medical exams, the waiting for results from disease or pregnancy, and then the torture of giving evidence. And the guilty party is given such paltry sentences. It's appalling.

A long time ago, a friend of mine asked me to go with her to our Garda station to report a rape. She was terrified but I talked her into reporting the awful assault. In we walked to the station and I explained that my friend wanted to press charges against the rapist. The desk sergeant looked my friend up and down and then said "well, he's got good taste, I'll give him that". We just walked out. I could not persuede her to go see a bean garda which I had arranged after that fiasco, and who could blame her.

I know the Guards are a lot better trained these days, well, I hope they are, but I swear, sometimes I think some judges seem reluctant if not loathe to give the criminal the sentence he deserves.

ScreeOrTalus

From the RTÉ News article linked in the OP:

"Garg met two intoxicated women outside a Dublin nightclub at 3am on 2 July 2011."

"He lured them back to his rented room at Whitefriar Place by promising them ecstasy, but instead he drugged them and raped them."

My emphasis.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies