Dow Jones closes above 8000 - Recession Ends?

youngdan

It is not the beginning of the end in the states, it is the beginning of the end of the states.

atlantic

The printers are just heating up and the big push is on,lets all devalue and inflate together yipee.
Us poor and getting poorer humans.

silvernut

House sales in the US are increasing because of sell offs of repo-ed houses. Hardly points to a recovery.

atlantic

Ssh don't tell everyone.
House sales in the US are increasing because of sell offs of repo-ed houses. Hardly points to a recovery.

Supermanpolitician

Stock markets fell well in advance of the recession. They are always ahead of the curve. Could be a good time to invest. When people are brave, be scared. When people are scared, be brave.

Supermanpolitician

Positive news anyway. Good to see. Now for Sterling to Strengthen against the Euro
If only. I have a few quid to spare so I might put a small slice into a diversified US mutual fund. Wouldn't touch anything Irish for a while. Could yield 15%, but significant risk, though almost anything Irish would be riskier (except deposits).

seabhac siulach

Stock markets fell well in advance of the recession. They are always ahead of the curve. Could be a good time to invest. When people are brave, be scared. When people are scared, be brave.
That's manifestly untrue...it is considered now that the recession in the US began towards the end of 2007 (last quarter), yet the Dow Jones only stopped defying gravity (above 11,000) when Lehman brothers collapsed last October. The stockmarkets know nothing and are buoyed up more by emotion than hard financial logic (unfortunately).

Bobert

From RTE:
European stock markets shot up today, with London closing up 4.3% amid greater optimism following a summit of G20 world leaders in London and positive economic data from the US.[FONT="]

[/FONT][/B][FONT="] London's FTSE 100 jumped to 4,125 points, while the CAC in Paris soared 5.4% 2,992 and the DAX in Frankfurt rocketed up 6.1% to 4,382. Banks were among the top earners, with HSBC, who announced an expansion of their Dublin operation yesterday, up 11.75%. Deutsche Bank rose almost 15% after its chief executive said in a newspaper interview that the bank had solid results in March and did not need additional capital.[/FONT]
US stocks shot up as the market cheered some headway made by a G20 summit to deal with the global economic crisis as well as new US accounting rules that may boost bank balance sheets.
The Dow Jones rose 4% to 8,072 to breach the psychological 8,000 barrier, as it rallied for the third consecutive day. The Nasdaq added 4.6% to 1,622.
In Dublin, the ISEQ index of Irish shares followed Europe's lead and closed up 3.4% at 2,364.
Earlier, Japan's Nikkei index rose 4.4% as Honda shares rose to their highest level in over five months and Toyota stock hit a four-month peak.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's far from over.
[/FONT]

Iarmhi Gael

If only. I have a few quid to spare so I might put a small slice into a diversified US mutual fund. Wouldn't touch anything Irish for a while. Could yield 15%, but significant risk, though almost anything Irish would be riskier (except deposits).
I have a €300k loan out which I changed into Sterling. May 2008 - Not good. To add into the Mix I bought a House with it in Belfast.

Anorakphobia

Jesus, throw in "when the shoeshine boy starts giving you stock picks...." and you'd have the full house of market cliches.

They are not ALWAYS ahead of the curve, more cliched rubbish.

I could give you many examples but i will give you the best one.
Between Nov 1929 and April 1930 the Dow rallied nearly 40%.
Did that herald the recovery?

feargach

I could give you many examples but i will give you the best one.
Between Nov 1929 and April 1930 the Dow rallied nearly 40%.
Did that herald the recovery?
Bang!

Well done

Middleaged

I would like to see some of the "big deals" close first, that would indicate that Corporates can raise signficant funds on the open market.

I would like to see on our banks issuing a bond, and see where that goes.
I have a feeling it wouldn't be successful.

shutuplaura

That's manifestly untrue...it is considered now that the recession in the US began towards the end of 2007 (last quarter), yet the Dow Jones only stopped defying gravity (above 11,000) when Lehman brothers collapsed last October. The stockmarkets know nothing and are buoyed up more by emotion than hard financial logic (unfortunately).
So true - efficent markets are a myth. Herd mentality, fear and wishful thinking seem to drive the market in my experience.

constitutionus

jesus man thats god awfull.

ive just made 36% on one irish share i sold and 57% on another just yesterday. the latter i held for a month and the former for just a week. both irish stocks.

if your gonna take a significant risk you may as well get a decent return.

nipping in and out seems to be the best plan in this enviroment.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies