Downing Street aides describe commitments on Ireland as "meaningless".

Wascurito

I think this is worthy of its own thread because it implies that the British government negotiated last Friday's agreement in exceptionally bad faith and did so with no intention of honouring its commitments.

The article below - on the Torygraph website - is behind a paywall but this part is visible:

"Theresa May’s aides told Boris Johnson and Michael Gove that the key concession used to seal Friday’s deal with Europe was 'meaningless' and 'not binding'.
[...]
A separate source confirmed that a specific Cabinet minister had been told by No 10 aides that the provision was 'meaningless' and was simply included to secure Ireland’s approval for the document.
"

Cabinet Brexit truce threatens to unravel as Leavers 'told concession to EU meaningless'

EDIT
Catalpast how found the full text of the article here.

Last edited:

Marcos the black

Well, there goes phase 2 so...

between the bridges

Who's going to tell Leo he has to give back his blue peter badge...

gleeful

Do they know the deal hasnt been passed by the EU yet? Maybe they do and this coming from an anti deal faction.

between the bridges

Well, there goes phase 2 so...
Indeed, faceless unofficial unconfirmed reports bring Armageddon, in fact moi can hear the four horsemen clearing out the stables as we spake...

Wascurito

Do they know the deal hasnt been passed by the EU yet? Maybe they do and this coming from an anti deal faction.
Good point....! The Irish might circulate a copy of that article to the 26 other countries prior to this week's council meeting.

O'Quisling

Aww don't spoil Leo the Rubber Lion his Churchill moment !

"This is not the end. . . . . This is the beginning of the end"
Excuse me, while I go back to my Irish fudge.

GDPR

I think this is worthy of its own thread because it implies that the British government negotiated last Friday's agreement in exceptionally bad faith and did so with no intention of honouring its commitments.

The article below - on the Torygraph website - is behind a paywall but this part is visible:

"Theresa May’s aides told Boris Johnson and Michael Gove that the key concession used to seal Friday’s deal with Europe was 'meaningless' and 'not binding'.
[...]
A separate source confirmed that a specific Cabinet minister had been told by No 10 aides that the provision was 'meaningless' and was simply included to secure Ireland’s approval for the document.
"

Cabinet Brexit truce threatens to unravel as Leavers 'told concession to EU meaningless'
Maybe they've been reading my posts!

The scuts.

raetsel

Perfidious Albion at it again? I think everyone in Ireland, including the DUP, knows that Westminster cannot be trusted to honour commitments and they'll betray whoever presents the weakest challenge, if it suits them.

Vega1447

Aww don't spoil Leo the Rubber Lion his Churchill moment !

"This is not the end. . . . . This is the beginning of the end"
Excuse me, while I go back to my Irish fudge.
Great Username.
Such self-knowledge is rare in Brexiteer BritNats.

Catalpast

[...]
"

It is a non binding agreement as far as the EU is concerned

- the UK has only committed themselves to proposing something they know the EU would never agree to

- Special Category Status for Ireland within the EU

Catalpast

[...]
"

See it all here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/7iplct/cabinet_brexit_truce_threatens_to_unravel_as/

Socratus O' Pericles

I heard the fella was drunk he was unconfirming, pisski as a newtski.

bokuden

[...]
"

But I thought Varadkar had just won the war of independence again ( or something)? Or was the whole agreement a fudge?

GDPR

But I thought Varadkar had just won the war of independence again ( or something)? Or was the whole agreement a fudge?
That simply cannot be a meaningless fudge, did he not, on the very steps of his returning plane, clearly wave the paper his agreement was written on?

New Threads

Most Replies