• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dozens sympathise with Kerry sex offender

Utopian Hermit Monk

Irish Times

DOZENS of people queued inside a Co Kerry courthouse yesterday to shake hands and sympathise with a man who was jailed for five years for sexually assaulting a woman in Listowel.

Danny Foley (35), a nightclub bouncer, Meen, Listowel, was sentenced to seven years with the final two suspended by Judge Donagh McDonagh in the Circuit Criminal Court in Tralee. He had been found guilty two weeks ago of sexually assaulting a woman who was discovered by a Garda patrol in a semi-conscious state and naked from the waist down alongside a skip in a car park early on June 15th, 2008.

About 50 people, mostly middle-aged and elderly men, queued yesterday to shake hands with the convicted man and hug him tearfully after he was brought from the cell to the dock, before Judge McDonagh entered the courtroom.

Before passing sentence, the judge criticised a character statement made by Castlegregory parish priest Fr Seán Sheehy. The priest had said Foley was always “respectful of women”, but Foley’s actions “gave the lie” to Fr Sheehy’s statement, the judge said.

What a country!!!

FionnMc

I think I can trump that.
From yesterday's Irish Times comes a story about how a father was jailed for ten years for raping his daughter from the time she was 7 years old.

The man’s employer told Mr Finlay that he could not speak highly enough of his former employee and described him as “a first-class man”. He said that he had often left his own children under the man’s care.

The accused’s partner told the court that the man was “honest, salt of the earth, very reliable and my best friend”.

“I am very lucky to have him in my life. He has shown great strength of character for living with this case for the last three years,” she told Mr Finlay.
Ten-year sentence for rape of daughter - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 16, 2009

Simply incredible.

Utopian Hermit Monk

Examiner

IT was a scene that could have come from a John B Keane play – a bizarre gesture of support by some plain people of Kerry for a convicted sex offender.

Danny Foley, of Meen, Listowel, sat in the dock at the Circuit Criminal Court, in Tralee, yesterday, awaiting sentence for sexually assaulting a woman, having been found guilty by a jury almost two weeks ago.

A group of 50 people, mainly men and said to be neighbours and friends, trooped into the courtroom and marched up to the accused, in single file. Each man shook his hand – some hugged him warmly, with tears in their eyes. It was witnessed by the 24-year-old victim who cut a lonely figure in the front seat of the public gallery. Dressed in black, she sat with a female garda, a counsellor from the Kerry Rape Crisis Centre and a friend.

truthisfree

What kind of a country are we coming to ? Does that define us as a society in general?
Something about this story does not ring true, no idea what, we are bad, very bad, but we do not normally queue up to shake hands with rapists outside a courtroom as bad as we are. There has to be more to this story.

Last edited:

Disabled student

I do not know the full story of this but it says that the bouncer raped her at skip at night.

It turned out that bouncer lied to the Gardai at first when they saw the CCTV tapes afterwards which it contradict the Bouncer's story.In fact,he carried her to the skip.I noticed that from the article that most middle aged and elderly people shook hands with the bouncer.

It was sickening!

truthisfree

I do not know the full story of this but it says that the bouncer raped her at skip at night.

It turned out that bouncer lied to the Gardai at first when they saw the CCTV tapes afterwards which it contradict the Bouncer's story.In fact,he carried her to the skip.I noticed that from the article that most middle aged and elderly people shook hands with the bouncer.

It was sickening!
Bizarre, I find it hard to believe, then again I still have trouble comprehending what the religious institutions have done in this country. The truth is still difficult to accept although I know it to be true. :(

Disabled student

Bizarre, I find it hard to believe, then again I still have trouble comprehending what the religious institutions have done in this country. The truth is still difficult to accept although I know it to be true. :(
Truth is stranger than fiction !!!

I know most of you have trouble comprehending re religious institutions in this country. Unless if you have a brother or sister a boarder who lived in these institutions mentioned in the Ryan report then you will know it.

To me, i wasn't surprised at all as they haven't changed their behaviour at all. I think they got the gospel message wrong which they twisted it around to suit theirs.

Electric Sheep

"About 50 people, mostly middle-aged and elderly men, queued yesterday to shake hands with the convicted man and hug him tearfully after he was brought from the cell to the dock, before Judge McDonagh entered the courtroom."

Sure I knew his father, he was a sound man, a son of his would never do that, no matter what they say about CCTV. Sure we know the sort she is...:evil:

Ireland doesn't change much, does it?

Abrax

Something is rotten in the county of Kerry. I never disguise my hate for the place, or more accurately the small percentage of begorra thicks that hold and dominate court down there, great views but the amount of cliquey, ah shur he is my cousins friend bollox that goes on there is something to behold.

The King of the Kingdom;

Last edited:

Furze

Has some type of abuse ring been exposed ?
I find this all very strange. Bouncer - inference to spiked drink - PP statement.

savlanut

Why didn't the Gardai/court officials present act to stop this sickening show of support in a courtroom for a convicted criminal?

savlanut

Something about this story does not ring true, no idea what, we are bad, very bad, but we do not normally queue up to shake hands with rapists outside a courtroom as bad as we are. There has to be more to this story.
Damn right there is more to this story. The queue was actually inside the courtroom and the man convicted of the sexual assault was in the dock as he accepted the handshakes and hugs of his friends and neighbours.

being covered on Newstalk now

Kerry public prefer rapists over rape victims

the victim has been vilified and had to be bundled out the back entrance under Garda security

the Gardai and Court Officers SHOULD not have allowed the misogynists hug the convicted freak

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies