• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

DPP's confidential review of Ian Bailey investigation published on the internet. Unprecedented.

bagel

Family upset by publication of case review - The Irish Times - Mon, Mar 04, 2013
The family of murdered French film producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier have expressed their shock and upset that a confidential review of the case by the Director of Public Prosecutions has been published on the internet.
“Sophie’s murder is still under criminal investigation in Ireland – the file remains open – and accordingly some secrecy is necessary.Putting this on the internet is a clear violation of that secrecy necessary for any criminal investigation,” said lawyer Alain Spilliaert, who represents Ms Toscan du Plantier’s family.
“The document contains the names of witnesses who made statements in confidence to the police. These people now find they are named and what they said is open for everyone to see – I have never heard of this happening before in a criminal case. It’s a scandal.”

Sophie Toscan Du Plantier DPP file 2001

I've been perusing the document and I think there should be a follow-up by the Ombudsman into the entire investigation of the murder by the Gardai.

seanmoylantd

Well done DPP. Irish Society needs the disinfectant of free speech on the Internet to stop the rot in our political professional and financial classes.
Shame on the Judiciary for instructing Google to remove ratemy solicitor .ie.
Shame on owners of newspapers for agendizing for editorial decision making to be made by themselves. [Irish Indo Sunday before last. No media attention].

eoghanacht

We had the temerity to scoff at the Mauritian Judicial system...............

seanmoylantd

Sadly, I am not surprised or shocked by the substance of the report.
In the mid nineties my then sixteen year old baby brother was harassed unmercifully by rogue Garda Suiocána . He was treated like an IRA man. He was just a child. No charges were ever filed , but they told him they would stop harassing him if he admitted to breaking in to an abandoned car.

Analyzer

Interesting contrast between the Irish and French police authorities on this.

I presume that they are looking at the same evidence. Are our authorities a little bit too easygoing or something ?

SilverSpurs

Family upset by publication of case review - The Irish Times - Mon, Mar 04, 2013
The family of murdered French film producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier have expressed their shock and upset that a confidential review of the case by the Director of Public Prosecutions has been published on the internet.
“Sophie’s murder is still under criminal investigation in Ireland – the file remains open – and accordingly some secrecy is necessary.Putting this on the internet is a clear violation of that secrecy necessary for any criminal investigation,” said lawyer Alain Spilliaert, who represents Ms Toscan du Plantier’s family.
“The document contains the names of witnesses who made statements in confidence to the police. These people now find they are named and what they said is open for everyone to see – I have never heard of this happening before in a criminal case. It’s a scandal.”

I've been perusing the document and I think there should be a follow-up by the Ombudsman into the entire investigation of the murder by the Gardai.
I am now totally convinced that Sophie's family just want someone to swing from a rope. The evidence against Bailey is flimsy at best and the decision not to prosecute looks to be vindicated. Much like the family of Ronald Goldman they have a narrative of events burnt into their psyche and will not accept any other explanation of events.

SilverSpurs

Out of interset what happens when he is convicted in abscentia by a French court as he surely will be given that the farce has progressed this far and surely won't stop now. Will there be a new EAW issued for the surrender of a 'convict on the loose'? Will the ECJ demand his surrender if the supreme court applies the brakes?
This not so divine comedy has a long way to run folks!!

Ryan Tubbs

The DPP report completely vindicates Ian Bailey and shows that there wasn't a shred of evidence against him. I find it pretty disgusting that the Du Plantier family are objecting to its publication!

The only "scandal" here is that the entire justice apparatus of the State - Gardai, Department of Justice, courts - have spent the last 18 years hounding a man who it seems is 100% innocent.

I think this issue genuinely deserves a tribunal of inquiry.

Last edited:

SilverSpurs

The DPP report completely vindicates Ian Bailey and shows that there wasn't a shred of evidence against him. I find it pretty disgusting that the Du Plantier family are objecting to its publication!
Well said Ryan. However the inquisitorial system is designed to get the prime suspect convicted it is not about objectively testing the evidence. In short its about finding enough data to fit the theory. This is why I feel Bailey is toast if he is extradited.

SilverSpurs

Don't blame the family, they lost their daughter is a savage and brutal murder. Just as I don't blame the Goldman family for their relentless pursuit of the Juice, it is what happens and we should be merciful and gracious.

Ryan Tubbs

This is why I feel Bailey is toast if he is extradited.
Well the Supreme Court ruled unanimously last year that he shouldn't be extradited. The French system has said it will try him in absentia....... on the basis of files sent to them by the Department of Justice and the Attorney General. (Worth highlighting this! This absolutely defies belief).

The media and political silence surrounding the details of this case are really disturbing and make you think about how this country is being run. Only the Phoenix Magazine have written anything about it in the last 2 years.

Victor Meldrew

If the evidence is not there to prosecute, then such is life. Innocent until proven guilty is too important a fundamental principle to be cast aside.

The indulging of the grieving family is disgraceful

Victor Meldrew

Well the Supreme Court ruled unanimously last year that he shouldn't be extradited. The French system has said it will try him in absentia....... on the basis of files sent to them by the Department of Justice and the Attorney General. (Worth highlighting this! This absolutely defies belief).

The media and political silence surrounding the details of this case are really disturbing and make you think about how this country is being run. Only the Phoenix Magazine have written anything about it in the last 2 years.
Thank God for the Phoenix.

Mandatory reading on the subject.

Ryan Tubbs

If the evidence is not there to prosecute, then such is life
In this case, one arm of the State (the DPP) concluded that there was no concrete evidence whatsoever against the man in order for our criminal justice system to act against him. Meanwhile, two other arms of the State (the AG and the Department of Justice) were conspiring with the criminal justice system of a foreign state in order to help them gather evidence to prosecute an Irish citizen in that jurisdiction.

This is a major, major scandal. And yet no-one in officialdom - media, politics, whatever - seems remotely interested in it.

Victor Meldrew

This is a major, major scandal. And yet no-one in officialdom - media, politics, whatever - seems remotely interested in it.
A fundamental test of our maturity as a state, which we are failing

Ryan Tubbs

A fundamental test of our maturity as a state, which we are failing
Very true. If the organs of State are willing to conspire against Irish citizens to try to have them tried in foreign jurisdictions for crimes they didn't commit, then literally anything is on the cards.

Mossy Heneberry

In this case, one arm of the State (the DPP) concluded that there was no concrete evidence whatsoever against the man in order for our criminal justice system to act against him. Meanwhile, two other arms of the State (the AG and the Department of Justice) were conspiring with the criminal justice system of a foreign state in order to help them gather evidence to prosecute an Irish citizen in that jurisdiction.

That's because they are scared of the truth. Irish people don't like looking under rocks or facing the cold hard light of day.

Sister Mercedes

Has anyone on this thread actually read the document? It includes such choice phrases as:

When Helen Callanan refused to tell him he became frustrated and his remarks to her reek of sarcasm not veracity.
His black humour is the antithesis of an admission.
I think the DPP's office needs to make a statement about whether or not this document is genuine. It has been on the Internet for a year, according to the Irish Times article.

From the IT article today:

To date, the document, entitled An Analysis of Evidence Linking Ian Bailey to the Murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, has been viewed over 2,600 times on Scribd.

Contacted by The Irish Times regarding the publication of the review, a spokeswoman said that the DPP had no comment to make on the matter.
EDIT: I looked at the document again, and it makes no reference to being from the DPP's office.

Last edited:

Ryan Tubbs

Has anyone on this thread apart from Orbit actually read the document? It includes such choice phrases as:
To me it reads like a translation back into English, presumably from a French version. Which would explain the pigeon english.

The level of detail contained in this aren't something which could have just been cooked up.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies