• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dr. Bill Tormey coming your way

Anamnua

He has just announced, on Coleman at Large, his determination to stand in the next NI election. Mind you it's hard to know what his platform will be. He sounds somewhat indo unionist from the 10 minutes or so I heard; on the other hand he accuses us (in the south) of ignoring the north -- hence his decision to stand. As if the north hasn't enough stentorian hot air merchants.

C

Castle Ray

I've no idea what this thread is about but fair fukks to you for using the word stentorian. Bravo!

The Herren

He has just announced, on Coleman at Large, his determination to stand in the next NI election. Mind you it's hard to know what his platform will be. He sounds somewhat indo unionist from the 10 minutes or so I heard; on the other hand he accuses us (in the south) of ignoring the north -- hence his decision to stand. As if the north hasn't enough stentorian hot air merchants.
I don't care a whole lot for the Northeners but they don't deserve to have this halfwit inflicted on them after all the torment they have suffered.

Ren84

What reason is there for a FG councillor from Dublin to be running for the northern assembly?

Glaucon

Anyone who refers to themselves in the third person is an eejit.
Hopefully we offload a few more up North.

Anamnua

Dr. Bill Tormey, Dublin North West Fine Gael; Glasnevin; Finglas; Ballymun; Councillor; DCC » About

He may be many things, but halfwit isn't one of them.

How on earth would he find the time?
He is obviously a highly intelligent man. My only insight into him is his appearances on the Coleman programme where he is a regular. He makes some good points but continually barracks and interrupts other panellists. He has the irritating habit of refusing to listen to other opinions. Come to think of it he would probably feel at home in the Northern Assembly.

physicist

What reason is there for a FG councillor from Dublin to be running for the northern assembly?
Yeah, big Al and Anna Lo have agreed he'd be a decent unity candidate if there's unionist unity candidate in South Belfast, Alex might be in on it too.

Cruimh

Yeah, big Al and Anna Lo have agreed he'd be a decent unity candidate if there's unionist unity candidate in South Belfast, Alex might be in on it too.
Not without precedent. Was thinking earlier - if the second Dáil had allowed Northern constituencies votes then the treaty would almost certainly have been rejected rather than squeezing through by only seven votes.

physicist

Not without precedent. Was thinking earlier - if the second Dáil had allowed Northern constituencies votes then the treaty would almost certainly have been rejected rather than squeezing through by only seven votes.
Well it would be hard to think the unionist politicians would have given the treaty any extra legitimacy if it could, but certainly the Nationalist Party took a lassiez-faire attitude to the whole thing. I think Devlin made a mistake refusing to challenge Sinn Féin absolution on this matter, and Sinn Féin may have made a mistake by not recognising the absence of the Protestants and Dissidents from their Republic.

The previous comment was tongue in cheek.

Cruimh

Well it would be hard to think the unionist politicians would have given the treaty any extra legitimacy if it could, but certainly the Nationalist Party took a lassiez-faire attitude to the whole thing. I think Devlin made a mistake refusing to challenge Sinn Féin absolution on this matter, and Sinn Féin may have made a mistake by not recognising the absence of the Protestants and Dissidents from their Republic.

The previous comment was tongue in cheek.
I know it was tongue in cheek - but the mathematics of the treaty vote are interesting.

For - 64
Against -57

6 Northern SF votes were not counted - 5 were double held by TDs and one SF was only elected for a NI constituency.

The 4 Free State Unionists were absent and the Northern Unionists were not interested - but if the Northern Nationalists like Joe Devlin had attended and voted No, then the Treaty might have been rejected.