Dr. doesn't agree that a dying woman should receive an abortion - Eamonn McGuinness

Emily Davison

Stop trying to dodge the need to clarify your OP. This is not your first time running with a story that you couldn't back up with the full facts.
The only person that needs to stop dodging is Dr. Eamonn. You tell me why he thought it reasonable in 2001 to deny a woman an abortion when her foetus was doomed?

What possible justification could that doctor have for that Sailor. Link to IT article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/review-of-resolutions-on-abortion-refused-1.319188

The second stated: ". . . the Medical Council recognises that termination of pregnancy can occur when the foetus is no longer viable".

What possible reason could a pro life doctor have for objecting to that Sailor? And the IT ought to ask Dr. Eamonn.

Last edited:

Lagertha

Come off it Sailor he's a pro lifer is the only reason he went to court. And yes I did read my link. I'm now subscribed to the IT.

Eamonn is so rabidly pro life instead of wanting to save women's lives who were going to die because of their pregnancy he wanted them to be prevented from having a life saving abortion.

Love them both = tosh. It's all about forced birth and damn the mother. Let her die for Jesus.
Exactly and at the wake he could shake hands with the widower and tell them that's it's all OK because mother and baby are safe with Jesus now. I had to go to mass on Easter Sunday, haven't done so for decades, but the priest was having a rant about how the right to life for a snail is deemed more important than the right to life of a ''baby'', no mention of the rights of the woman, and encouraging the congregation to go to a pro life event the following week. There were very few offerings in the basket that day, perhaps he should have left that little rant til after the collection baskets had come back.

sadmal

The only person that needs to stop dodging is Dr. Eamonn. You tell me why he though it reasonable in 2001 to deny a woman an abortion when her foetus was doomed?

What possible justification could that doctor have for that Sailor. Link to IT article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/review-of-resolutions-on-abortion-refused-1.319188

The second stated: ". . . the Medical Council recognises that termination of pregnancy can occur when the foetus is no longer viable".

What possible reason could a pro life doctor have for objecting to that Sailor? And the IT ought to ask Dr. Eamonn.
Emily this information about Dr McGuiness should be more widely available - have you posted it on social media sites?

benroe

Come off it Sailor he's a pro lifer is the only reason he went to court. And yes I did read my link. I'm now subscribed to the IT.

Eamonn is so rabidly pro life instead of wanting to save women's lives who were going to die because of their pregnancy he wanted them to be prevented from having a life saving abortion.

Love them both = tosh. It's all about forced birth and damn the mother. Let her die for Jesus.
Female cancer patients receiving chemotherapy have to take a pregnancy test before each treatment, if the patients test is positive the treatment is immediately stopped until the pregnancy is terminated abroad or goes to full term.

Lagertha

Female cancer patients receiving chemotherapy have to take a pregnancy test before each treatment, if the patients test is positive the treatment is immediately stopped until the pregnancy is terminated abroad or goes to full term.
It's the same with surgery, you have to take a pregnancy test before the procedure and if you are pregnant then you don't get the surgery.

Emily Davison

Emily this information about Dr McGuiness should be more widely available - have you posted it on social media sites?
It came originally from a link Damus gave. I thought it significant enough to warrent it's own thread.

It gets a lot worse Sadmal. Here:

https://www.medicalcouncil.ie/News-and-Publications/Publications/Annual-Reports-Statistics-/Medical-Council-Term-Report-1999-2004.pdf

Guess who made it their business to be on the Ethics board. From 1999 - 2004. Dr. Eamonn of course, and 5 of the other medics who took the 2001 case. As that didn't suceed there are other means of control. Just staying on the board and trying to influence it. And off to court if you don't get your way. Things were changing as it was 2001. And there is very good reasons that other doctors were obviously now not putting up with it anymore. That's how Irish medicine was run and how the Church gets it's clutches into decisions. Basically the IMC was run according to Catholic theology for many years. Same thing in the hospitals. Which is why we had the horror stories as regards pregnant women.

Mr Hugh Bredin
Mr J Brendan Healy
Dr Miriam Hogan
Dr Eamon Mc Guinness
Dr Rosemary O’Connor
Dr Martin Mahon

Emily Davison

Nurse Ger has never confirmed to me whether women are told to go abroad and get an abortion before they will be treated for cancer. It's what I've suspect actually happens. Because of course your cancer might be a danger to you, but it might not be about to kill you immediately enough for you to be entitled to an abortion.

Eoin Coir

that is shocking state of affairs. And we hear all the time about women getting all necessary treatments,even if there are unintended consequences,ie loss of the baby

Fats_Portnoy

Source?

Emily Davison

In relation to cancer Dr. Eamonn refused to discuss the case of Michelle Harte. Denied an abortion in Cork and so ill from cancer that she had to be physically helped onto a plane in Waterford to bring her to England for an abortion.

Do you want a source for that? Google it yourself.

Here's Dr. Eamonn refusing to talk about Michelle Harte in the English Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-eighth-has-never-prevented-proper-treatment-fr02wrn37

He refused to discuss the case concerning Michelle Harte, a 41-year-old woman denied an abortion while ill with cancer, who subsequently died. He said he was not familiar with the case. “She was presumably refused a termination, that’s all I know about it,” he said.

What's hilarious there is that a rabid pro lifer like him claims not to know anything about the case. Yeah right.

As is this gem from John, fake Nurse Noel, McGuirk:

John McGuirk, spokesman for the campaign, said Dr McGuinness was against abortion but this did not influence his medical opinion.

Yeah right Nurse McGuirk.

Eoin Coir

In relation to cancer Dr. Eamonn refused to discuss the case of Michelle Harte. Denied an abortion in Cork and so ill from cancer that she had to be physically helped onto a plane in Waterford to bring her to England for an abortion.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-eighth-has-never-prevented-proper-treatment-fr02wrn37

He refused to discuss the case concerning Michelle Harte, a 41-year-old woman denied an abortion while ill with cancer, who subsequently died. He said he was not familiar with the case. “She was presumably refused a termination, that’s all I know about it,” he said.

What's hilarious there is that a rabid pro lifer like him claims not to know anything about the case. Yeah right.

John McGuirk, spokesman for the campaign, said Dr McGuinness was against abortion but this did not influence his medical opinion.

McGuirk would know ?

Half Nelson

Repeal are really ramping up the lies today. It must be desperation.
Let there be no doubt: in such a situation, a woman can indeed be treated, even if the treatment leads to a detrimental outcome for the unborn child.

fgrep

Very misleading Title BUT the story does confirm that there is no bar to a Doctor terminating a pregnancy where mothers life is at risk. So thanks for that clarification Emily.

GDPR

In 2001 Dr. Eamonn McGuinness went to court to prevent two Medical council resolutions.

a) The first was to allow an abortion where there is a risk to a mother's life
b) The second was to allow an abortion when the foetus was no longer viable.

The first resolution stated: ". . . the Medical Council recognises that termination of pregnancy can occur where there is a real and substantial risk to the life of a mother". The second stated: ". . . the Medical Council recognises that termination of pregnancy can occur when the foetus is no longer viable".

Some questions

1. Does that mean he and the other doctors who believe that a woman who is at risk of dying should not be given a life saving abortion
2. Does it mean that he believes that Galway hospital were correct in their treatment of Savita Hallapanavaar.
3. Does he believe that where a foetus is dead that a woman should be forced to continue the pregnancy
What it means is that he abides by his hypocritical oath, as my granny gloriously mispronounced Hypocratic Oath.

Really, the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, the ruling body for both British and Irish vets, wouldnt put up with this one for one moment. Vets really do have a well-formed professional ethos.

Half Nelson

You think a medical professional should comment on a case he had no hand or part in?
What age are you?

blokesbloke

What happened to that lady is sick. I thought pregnant women could get all the cancer treatment needed in Ireland?

That’s what pro-lifers have assured us on here.

Comments?

Emily Davison

My daughter who is fighting cancer for four years now.
I'm very sorry to hear that and even sorrier that you had to reveal it to point out the lies. I would have pm'd you a message but you don't accept them so apologies for having to say this in public. We're not stupid and I know full well that Irish women are told to go to England, probably whispered quietly in their ear. For years on here Ger12 has evaded answering my specific questions on cancer. She knows full well but will not admit it. Her latest wheeze on here is the neighbour/friend/dog/cat who got treatment. Same with so called pro lifers with all them women who are saved despite the 8th. Total lies.

I hope that your daughter is one of the lucky ones. My husband lost two brothers to cancer. The last one treated in Beaumont and I won't dishearten you with that experience.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies