Dr James Reilly, an asset or liabilty to F.G.

west'sawake

Am I the only one who thinks Dr James O Reilly is an emotional p.c. populist with about as clear a political philosophy as the impressionable, chameleon, Bertie Ahern. I really can't take him seriously and see him as a loose canon but without any of that redeeming non contrived sincerity or independence of mind of other famous F.G mavericks, such as John Deasy, Brendan McGahon, the non p.c and mercurial Michael Ring; and the late great John Kelly (RIP). I think Dr R may prove an embarrassment to F.G. regardless of his latest 'stunt' over the HPV vaccine.

Last edited:

mmrebel

he comes across as quite arrogant too ,irish voters dont like that think noonan vs ahern .

Question R24U

I'm not a fan of accountants in finance etc and therefore a doctor in health may simply be good for doctors but in fairness he would hardly be worse than the incumbent. Although labour may want health also.
He does have the appearance of the brendan grace scary priest in father ted but he is respected rather than liked, trusted rather than one who inspires empathy and many believe he may shift the balance from the administrators to nearer patients. I go with asset.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I find O'Reilly to be part of the terrible trio - Varadkar, & Flanagan being the others

These 3 pride themselves on knee jerk responses and lack of reflection

FG can't be taken seriously with them

cYp

Defeated Romanticist

[youtube]<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="416" height="234" id="mbox_player_1193d2b71d11ed9a"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="movie" value="http://www.motionbox.com/external/hd_player/type=hd,video_uid=1193d2b71d11ed9a"><embed name="mbox_player_1193d2b71d11ed9a" allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://www.motionbox.com/external/hd_player/type=hd,video_uid=1193d2b71d11ed9a" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="Adobe - Adobe Flash Player" width="416" height="234" allowFullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Video: Father Ted; Father Fintan Stack (Brendan Grace)

I'd prefer to be stuck in a lift with this fellow than the good doctor.

west'sawake

I'm not a fan of accountants in finance etc and therefore a doctor in health may simply be good for doctors but in fairness he would hardly be worse than the incumbent. Although labour may want health also.
He does have the appearance of the brendan grace scary priest in father ted but he is respected rather than liked, trusted rather than one who inspires empathy and many believe he may shift the balance from the administrators to nearer patients. I go with asset.
QR24U

Fair enough, and thanks for the Brendan Grace- Father Ted bit, I knew he reminded me of someone in caricature mould, and you hit the nail on the head, and made me laugh out loud. I don't know though if I can respect his brand of populism because I think a lot of our present troubles are due to the worst kind of populism and consenus politics ever as well as occasional media driven frenzies. That's probably why I baulk at Dr Jim a bit, he plays to the gallery as when he attacked a natural fertility care doctor, a true professional and decent man, who has had great success with alternatives to IVF, but who gives priority to married couples. This is probably an entirely subjective reaction I know, but there it is.

Last edited:

CookieMonster

I find O'Reilly to be part of the terrible trio - Varadkar, & Flanagan being the others

These 3 pride themselves on knee jerk responses and lack of reflection

FG can't be taken seriously with them

cYp
Stick Hayes in there too.

Nils

I'm from O'Reilly's consituency and, though I'd be tempted to vote FG just now, I'd be less likely to vote for him in particular. Didn't he get rather compromised in his whole approach to the medical card cuts a while back - being both the shadow health spokesman & some sort of doctors' lobby figurehead, simultaneously?

west'sawake

I'm from O'Reilly's consituency and, though I'd be tempted to vote FG just now, I'd be less likely to vote for him in particular. Didn't he get rather compromised in his whole approach to the medical card cuts a while back - being both the shadow health spokesman & some sort of doctors' lobby figurehead, simultaneously?
To be fair to the man, I don't think he has held both jobs simultaneously, the latter IMO job had ended, I think, I could be wrong.

flavirostris

asset - I like Reilly's combative style. He is different to others on the FG front bench in that he dosen't come from a classic political background. He's not afraid of some of the FF bully boys either and he's well able to get up Cowen's nose.
I watched him on the "Week in Politics" last night and he called Dempsey on his BS reminding him of the 2 million he had wasted in a PR exercise explaining why Transport 21 was behind schedule.

Last edited:

Effin Effer!!!

in that case, throw lucinda creighton in while you're at it!

We havn't heard from her in a long time!!!

I have a feeling that O'Reilly could become a serious banana skin for Fine Gael in the more serious setting of a General Election campaign.

Very good at what he does tough!

so far i like O'Reilly

I also think FF are a bit afraid of him, hence their hatchet job to disarm him over the doctors' negotiations

locke

I think doctor's pay is likely to become one of the cost cutting battlegrounds over the next few months. We're already seeing the expected commentators pointing out how much senior doctors compare to their counterparts in Germany or the UK.

If this does become an issue, it will be hard for Reilly to be seen to be impartial for any discussions.

For added bonus for Fianna Fail, it's Harney who has to take the flak, so they can try to disown the problem.

turdsl

He did not

bn

asset - I like Reilly's combative style. He is different to others on the FG front bench in that he dosen't come from a classic political background. He's not afraid of some of the FF bully boys either and he's well able to get up Cowen's nose.
I watched him on the "Week in Politics" last night and he called Dempsey on his BS reminding him of the 2 million he had wasted in a PR exercise explaining why Transport 21 was behind schedule.
Asset :) he is compassionate and I do not see any problem with a man who has an expertise in health, who understands more then anyone what the system is all about, being allowed to run it. In fairness you couldn't get much worse then Mary "I think I'll appoint 12 new managers and fire 20 doctors" Harney

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies