Dr Maurice Neligan has died

captainwillard

I see

He had a family and friends, some of whom I know.

Tell me you sad little excuse for a man sitting at a computer - does come on here making sarcastic observations over a great man's death make you feel self important? Does it make you feel you are a better more insightful human being?

Beacuse that is as important as you will ever, ever get - and you will never ever enjoy the same respect that Maurice Neluigan did - so crawl back into your little narcissitic cyber univesre and stay there. Forever.
And you would consider yourself a great man? You express the consensus opinion.

LeDroit

I see

Tell me you sad little angry people sitting at a computer - does come on here making sarcastic observations over a great man's death make you feel self important? Does it make you feel you are a better more insightful human being?

Beacuse that is as important as you will ever, ever get - and you will never ever enjoy the same respect that Maurice Neluigan did - so crawl back into your little narcissitic cyber univesre and stay there. Forever.
That's still Step 5 but you have kicked it up a notch in fairness.

Look, these threads in general are a vacuous nonsense, a place for sycophantic mourning junkies to espouse wisdom about a stranger. It's not grief, not respect, it's just self indulgence.

LeDroit

captainwillard

That's still Step 5 but you have kicked it up a notch in fairness.

Look, these threads in general are a vacuous nonsense, a place for sycophantic mourning junkies to espouse wisdom about a stranger. It's not grief, not respect, it's just self indulgence.
They know nothing of the man... nothing at all except what was reported about him in papers which on most matters they despise. These threads should be banned.

myrak

wont repeat your quote but I posted because I felt sincere comments however short were being derided. Integrity IS in short supply and we don't all follow or know your 'stages'.

captainwillard

I see

Tell me you sad little angry people sitting at a computer - does come on here making sarcastic observations over a great man's death make you feel self important? Does it make you feel you are better more insightful human beings?

Beacuse that is as important as you will ever, ever get - and you will never ever enjoy the same respect that Maurice Neligan did - so crawl back into your little narcissitic cyber universe and stay there. Forever.

Wow.. you know some friends of Maurice Nelligan. I reckon that gives you real insight into him.

This must be another stage, a need to have proximity to the deceased. It gives one a sort of ' sympathy by proxy'.

Should I offer you the internet equivalent of that infamous funeral oneliner spoken so often by me and offered so many times to me 'Sorry for your troubles'.

rjh

RJH was on the news couple of nights ago. He's a great man too.
No I wasn't - nor would I ever, ever claim to be "great" - but Maurice Neligan was.

Nor am I claiming any special insight nor "proximity" to this gentleman - I believe that Maurice was one of the finest members of the medical profession that has ever worked in this country. I am not claiming to be a friend of the family nor would I. I was merely pointing out the sheer crassness and insenstivity portayed by some people towards those who have lost a loved one - a man who contribued so much to our society and deserves more respect than cynicism

Seriously, there is something wrong with a website where, when a decent, brave and honourable man dies, a bunch of people line up to be sarcastic, mock and sneer.

Depressing.

Last edited:

LeDroit

No I wasn't - nor would I ever, ever claim to be "great" - but Maurice Neligan was.

Seriously, there is something wrong with a website where, when a decent, brave and honourable man dies, a bunch of people line up to be sarcastic, mock and sneer

Depressing.
You're missing our point. We are not mocking or sneering Dr. Neligan, may God be good to him. We are mocking and sneering the strangers who feel the need to post anonymous condolences on a political website!

captainwillard

Seriously, there is something wrong with a website where, when a decent, brave and honourable man dies, a bunch of people line up to be sarcastic, mock and sneer

Depressing.
If you want to worship false gods, worship them away to your heart's content. But don't express dismay and outrage when others are not as obsequious.

Decent brave honourable. You are so sanctimonious, so holier than thou, so sure of your own righteousness.

spidermom

Have to say I really do not understand why a poster would question one's motives in contributing to ANY thread...!!Smacks of those who no-one else would dream of listening to.

P.ie is about the freedom to express one's ideas and thoughts in a open forum and have those opinions objectively assessed. However in an open thread like this, that is one not solely focused on the nuances of political ideology or economic policy posters are fully entitled to express their opinions.
Those who wish to denigrate this are really quite pathetic!
It says more about those who seek to criticise the opinions expressed here!

corelli

Maurice Nelligan's father, Mick Nelligan was a man hated by De Valera. He got a job in the Land Commission and was never actually given a list of tasks to perform. He went into work for thirty years without ever having a job.
I am pretty sure Maurice Nelligan's father was an Army officer.

jackryan

Maurice Nelligan will be remembered as a great surgeon and an impassioned defender of the publlic health service against the sinister forces ranged against it. A sad loss. RIP.
Didn't he set up the blackrock clinic? nothing public about that??

corelli

Are you confusing him with Dr Risteard Mulcahy?.
Nope. I remember him on Marrian Finnucane stating that his pater was a member of the Defence Forces.

Not being smart, but I actually DO know who Risteard Mulcahey is!! LOL

corelli

Didn't he set up the blackrock clinic? nothing public about that??
His, publicised, rational for that was to take people who had private insurance off the waiting list so more people would actually get treatment. In latter years he was extremely critical of the propensity of private medicine to cherry pick and leave the difficult cases to the HSE/Health Boards.

captainwillard

We are talking about a great man who has contributed far more to our nation than you ever, ever will - of that I am certain

While I recognise the internet attracts cowardly vultures like you, only dying to sit at your keyboard, to sneer at those recently deceased, whose achievements you will never equal, I still feel the need to let you know what an obnoxious , pathetic, cowardly excuse for a huamn being that your comments apparently expose to you to be.

Bye bye
I have reviewed my comments and at no stage did I sneer at any of his achievements. Please read the thread before reacting in this manner.

rjh

I have reviewed my comments and at no stage did I sneer at any of his achievements. Please read the thread before reacting in this manner.
Fair enough - post deleted- my problem was with what I perceived to be a lack of respect for a recently deceased man I greatly admired

rjh

Dont tell me. You had a bad night too.
More like a bad week. Stone cold sober for all of it, but "tired and emotional"...

I suppose I would have seen Maurice Neligan as a personal inspiration in a land crawling with begrudgers. Hence my over-reaction to your remarks - apologies - no offense meant.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies